Buying an ML420 am I mad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smart320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Toyota RAV4 3dr , SLK55amg, ML320 (2 ) A210 , E320 ( all gone )
Am thinking of trading in my 2008 W211 E320 cdi with 42 k on the clock for a one owner 2007 ML 420 with 69 k miles. I need something higher off the ground for easier access and to transport a couple of dogs ( well my wife has told me we do )
I would like to enjoy some decent power again, miss my XJR and at 70 still think I have a few years to do so. I would get a decent warranty with it, for at least 12 months.
Am I crazy? I do not have totally unlimited funds but am prepared to spend a reasonable amount 2/3 k per year for maintenance .

Not mad at all, the ML of that vintage is a great car, and that's an amazing engine. Dep mid game upon how many miles you do, a similar age ML63 is worth considering, the engine sings to you when pressing on, a wonderful driving experience.

Will only be doing about 8 k, no city driving all country or a little motorway.

Both great in their own right but are different beasts the '63 and the 420 CDi; the '63 has to be worked to get a shuffle on whereas the 420 CDi has masses of torque from low down.

I owned a 420 CDi for six month and in my opinion the engine suits the ML best, I had an extended drive of the same model '63 and to me it doesn't suit the nature of a 4x4 but i do prefer forced induction to naturally aspirated so I'm biased in that regard. I'd also thoroughly recommend going for one with Airmatic because the standard springs make it feel a bit wallowy (even for a 4x4).

You may be slightly disappointed in the feel of the interior quality of the ML compared to your W211 but, on the whole, it's a cracking vehicle.

Problem with the 63 is the price, for similar year and miles nearly twice as expensive so could not afford one

Expect to be needing all new suspension struts and airbags at that mileage. Plus the level sensor arms will be either seized or turned to jelly.

Greatest thing in the world when they are running well tho.... good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom