buying and running a cdi engined car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kbhogalW126

Car
'98 W140 S320
hi!
i need help!

i am wanting to replace my boring mondeo zetec(company car) and sell my old w126 for a newer cdi engine.

ive seen that the e220 cdi (2000) will return 45mpg and there are loads of them out there for around the 8k mark (my budget) in the facelift model with leccy seats and leather.

thing is ive seen an ml 270cdi 2001 on autotrader with 63k miles for 8k.

is this right?

seems a bit cheap.

what do you all reckon?

i do about 3000miles a month and am not really sure whether i should go for an e220 cdi, e320cdi or an ml270cdi.

help me please!

KJ

That ML does sound a bit cheap ...suspicously so (unless it's a mistake).

We have a 2003 ML270CDi, and generally get 25-29mpg with a fairly light foot, so doing 3,000 miles per month in the ML may be an expensive way of travelling.

It also eats brakes at an unprecedented rate, and they're not cheap if you let the dealer do them c£1,000 all round (pads and discs). With your mileage, the dealer will be suggesting they need doing twice a year!!

Great car though, so don't let the above put you off.

Does sound too cheap. A friend of mine is selling a 2000 (W) ML320 with 40k on the clock and hasn't been offered more than £9k so far. So £8k for a diesel version sounds a little sus to me.

Wise Buyer reckons for a 2001 (X) Automatic:

Retail: £15,014
Private Good: £13,874
Private Average: £12,714
Private Poor: £11,404
Part Exchange: £13,294
Trade: £13,002

The valuations quoted are prices you should aim to pay for a used car, not the advertised price. You should adjust your valuation to allow for extras that were not standard specification.

so what do you reckon is the best to go for?

e220 cdi or e320 cdi facelift models?

anyone who has either of these models able to help out?

kj

I have a e320 cdi and average about 32mpg. On a good run I easily get 36mpg. A full tank returns on average 400 miles, more on long runs. Aim for the Avantgarde spec as the car handles better on lowered suspensions.

I hear the 220 cdi is economical but a bit underpowered.

I have the 2001 E220 CDi (replacement for my 98 C200 Sport). It returns about 36-38 mpg urban driving but I get close on 50-51 mpg at a steady 70 mpg (according to the onboard mileage computer). Its obviously not as well powered as the E320 CDi but considerably better than my ex-C200 and I have been told it matches the E240 0-60 mph figures and exceeds it on the 60-80 mph time.

It depends what your priorites are. I think the E220CDI gives adequate preformance, although obviously less than an E320CDI.

For all the time that you are not using the extra power of the 320 the 220 will be giving you better economy. The 4-cylinder 220 is opbviously not as smooth as the 6-cylinder 320. Thats why I find the 5-cylinder 270 a nice compromise, although not available in the E at that age.

All the modern diesel cars drive nicely and offer good performance BUT can I make a plea on behalf of your neighbours. Several people near me have gone and fallen for the appeal of a diesel. They bought diesel Mercs, diesel jags , diesel BMs but all of them sound UTTERLY terrible from the outside. My neighbour sets off to work in his metallic blue, leather clad, big wheeled executive toy and he doesnt know what we his neighbours know that he's bought a car with a tractor hidden inside!! Mt petrol lawn mower makes a more appealing noise. Given DIEsel costs nearly the same as petrol it only makes sense if you drive swillions of miles. Think of your neighbours and your reputation......buy a petrol one!

Is the E220 CDi rough to drive?

No, the E220 is not at all rough to drive.

Each to their own, R2D2, but you do not need to drive round the earth to save money with a diesel, as a recent Auto Express article confirmed. Economy is 30-50% better, and the fuel is 2% dearer - simple really. If they weren't cheaper to run they wouldn't hold their second hand value as well as they do.

Yes, diesels are at the noisiest (from the outside) on a cold start, but they are nowhere near as noisy as you suggest. And anyway I actually like the warble my 270 gives under accelertion.

R2D2 said:
My neighbours Jag Diesel IS terribly noisy!!
Those Jags are smokemeisters as well, probably because the engines are ford-sourced. A bloke in a jag put his foot down earlier when changing lanes and left LOADS of smoke behind him :rolleyes:

R2D2 - I had a C200, nice car but absolutley no comparison to the E220 CDi either in accceleration, smoothness or overall performance and certainly much quieter at 70 mph from inside the car. When petrol sources dry up (and they will) you still have the option of bio-fuels (maybe the local Fish & Chip shop as potential oil supplier).

tamrsoft said:
When petrol sources dry up (and they will) you still have the option of bio-fuels (maybe the local Fish & Chip shop as potential oil supplier).
When petrol sources dry up then petrol cars still have the option of running on LPG, hydrogen or other natural gases.

Well we have had the 4 x 4 debate now it looks like the diesel debate :D

The 220CDI is obviously a diesel and does have a diesel noise... but it is much quieter than most other diesels and from within the car you will not notice it.

Shude's arguement on cost for Mercedes-Benz diesels sounds like it has a 'slight' bias. My 320CDI was over a thousand pounds cheaper than the 320 petrol!!! I accept that other equivalents might not be similar but blanket statements are sometimes not that accurate. I personally do not see any sense in buying a 320 petrol, but if you can afford to stretch to the CDI equivalent then you will be amazed at it's performance, top speed, acceleration and for its size economy.

Would I buy a 210 model E-class???? I would simply say check out all the threads on the dreaded rust. It is a major, major problem and should be given oodles of consideration before making any decision.

Good luck and don't rush into any decision,
John

glojo said:
Shude's arguement on cost for Mercedes-Benz diesels sounds like it has a 'slight' bias.
Erm, I didn't say anything :confused:

Was probably a good arguement all the same :rolleyes:

Shude said:
Erm, I didn't say anything :confused:

Was probably a good arguement all the same :rolleyes:

:D :D Ooops sorry about that R2D2 is the target that I missed by a country mile.

A million apologies.

Regards,
John the chastised :eek: :eek:

Shude said:
When petrol sources dry up then petrol cars still have the option of running on LPG, hydrogen or other natural gases.

I like the idea of being able to legitimately eat more fish and chips though!! Much tastier than the petrol alternatives!!

We'll all be underwater before that happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom