Buying Canon camera of the ebay...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use the Nikon D90 with the 18-200 lens - it is a great all purpose lens.....but I agree it does have its limitations for isolating etc...my next purchase is a Macro one.

So should I buy:

1. Canon 50D + Canon 18-200IS
or
2.Canon 50D + Canon 18-55IS + Canon 55-250IS + TTL Flash +other stuff from this auction

Same price really...

Cheers
Chris

Not sure about Canon lens but you may find this of interest..

Canon EF lens reviews

I think one can get over obsessed with the mm reading but as important is the f stop. I find my 18-200 Nikon lens great for 80% of the time -- what I am now saving for is a f2.8 macro lens so I can do ultra close up and use in low light. Either a 105mm or a 60 mm. I suppose the answer to that is "how dangerous is the object you wish to photograph"..i.e. how close can you get to it without being bitten / stung.

But I am very much a novice......

Last edited:
Either a 105mm or a 60 mm. I suppose the answer to that is "how dangerous is the object you wish to photograph"..i.e. how close can you get to it without being bitten / stung.

LOL.

Personally I would go with the 60mm on APS-C format.

Reasons:

1. it's roughly the equivalent of a full frame 90mm
  2. slightly greater DOF
  3. usefulness as prime (I'm thinking ~150mm is a bit long whereas 60mm is possibly more useful to carry about generally)

1. Canon 50D + Canon 18-200IS
or
2.Canon 50D + Canon 18-55IS + Canon 55-250IS + TTL Flash +other stuff from this auction

Same price really...

It's likely to be a convenience decision.

The 18-200 will probably be a bigger optical compromise than the other two lenses. So in principle the twin lens kit should offer better average optical quality across the range covered.

But the reason people buy the single lens is convenience. There's not much point in being able to get a better quality 200mm shot with the 55-250 if you either aren't carrying it or you don't have the time/opportunity to change.

So the decision really comes down to your anticipated use.

If it's the holiday that's important go with the 18-200. You can always acquire other lenses later once you figure what you want them for.

I use 17-55 aned 70-200 when I want top quality and the 18-200 when I can't be bothered to carry the bag!

17-55 is the ultimate EFS walkabout but is L lens price to go with its L lens image quality

With the 18-200 you wont have to swap lenses and will have less to carry around - this whole question is a big trade off between Image Quality/Price/Convenience.

I still think the 17-85 IS is as good a walkabout lens as you can get for sensible money, the 18-200 is more flexible for focal lengths but IMO the image quality doesnt compare (and nor should it given the superzoom FL coverage)

If I could get THIS at a sensible price then I would have it as my #1 choice.
As I have said both of my bodies came from Canon Ebay and both have served me very well. My30D did have 2 small marks on the body but nothing that has affected me in over 2.5 years of ownership.

The big advantage here is that there will be a 2 day delivery with nothing more to pay in duties etc, and a full Canon UK warranty on body and lens

Mark

Thanks!

I'm looking now at Canon auctions and waiting till last moment.I think for 2nd hand camera, with 1 lens £500 should be maximum?
What you guys think?

And I'm watching other auction as well - the one with 18-200. Willing to pay max £750.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks!

I'm looking now at Canon auctions and waiting till last moment.I think for 2nd hand camera, with 1 lens £500 should be maximum?
What you guys think?

And I'm watching other auction as well - the one with 18-200. Willing to pay max £750.

Cheers
Chris

It depends on the lens - Canon Ebay with 17-85 I would expect to pay a lot more than £500, most 50D's are not very S/H at this point! I reckon £850-£950 depending on the bidding frenzy.

This is well over £700 with bidders and reserve not met - it looks like a reasonable buy anyway !

50D with any lens at £500 will probably find you bidding against me if the seller is reputable :D - They normally make £650 body only

Mark

LOL.

Personally I would go with the 60mm on APS-C format.

Reasons:

1. it's roughly the equivalent of a full frame 90mm
  2. slightly greater DOF
  3. usefulness as prime (I'm thinking ~150mm is a bit long whereas 60mm is possibly more useful to carry about generally)

True - also cheaper...:D:D big factor

The Canon outlet on Ebay doesn't sell second-hand goods. Most of what it sells are things like dealer returns or ex-demo models. I've bought two items from there and you couldn't tell them from new. One proviso is that if it is faulty when it arrives, they won't exchange it, only refund. I'm told this is because of stock levels etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom