Buying dilemma: CLS/E55 vs SL55 vs R171 SLK55…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buffy d

Car
2009 Supercharged E92 M3, 1998 BMW E39 540i
Longtime lurker, infrequent poster here :) Please bear with me, I appreciate these are three (four) very different cars, but they are all cars that I like and I would like one of them. I own a supercharged V8 M3 which is my main car and which I love but am a little too precious about to use as a runaround, but I just can't do sheds, so I want something else that I will enjoy driving but won't be quite so precious about as my M3 (which is heavily modded and very personal and special to me). My budget is up to around £15k or so, though spending less than that would be nice!

I've pretty much discounted the SL55 because despite it being the one that I *really* want and have wanted since launch, the fear of ABC failure and subsequent repair costs put me off. I can't stop thinking about it, but I'm just not sure I'm brave enough to buy one :(

I like the idea of the SLK55 because it's that bit smaller so will fit happily in all supermarket parking spots without me worrying about it, it should be fun to drive, I know the M113 is a tough engine, the 7G-Tronic slightly less so but not made of chocolate, no expensive suspension to worry about and, generally speaking, they seem pretty reliable. I think I'd have a lot of fun in an SLK55 :D

But then I look at the CLS55 (and also the E55), which I also love, and I see that it's that much cheaper to buy than an SLK55 (and I think of the supercharged engine and I struggle to control myself, lol). I appreciate there's more to spend money on (SBC, Airmatic) but nothing truly terrifying like on the SL55.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice from anyone who's sampled/owned some or all of these and can offer some first-hand advice and guidance? Thanks very much :)

They are all outstanding cars. You have to have the M113k supercharged mill in whatever you buy.
0 to Waitrose in 4.5 secs.
I've run my CLS55 for 20k miles with no horror stories. Even had a dyno remap last year and ran 170mph in Germany.
IMO just find the best of any of them in your budget.

If you need more than 2 seats then I'd go with the CLS as it looks more special than the E55. It will prob age better as it becomes rarer.

I went E55K because I am too tall to comfortably fit in and drive in any of the others!

I also think it is the best and most practical.

The CLS does look great though.

I spend most of my life surrounded by Mercedes of all shapes and sizes. I'd never own an R230 SL. They just have too many foibles for me. The cars with the M113k are great, but they are a bit unwieldy in the twistys, and coming from an M3 I think they might disappoint in the handling arena. I have owned an R171 SLK55 AMG which I fitted with a KW V3 suspension kit. The stock suspension somehow manages to be too stiff and too bouncy. The springs are too hard and the dampers can't control them adequately. The KW adds compliance with better damping. Total revelation. Round Snetteton the car was easily a match for my mates F80 M3. The 7G tronic is the weak link. Up changes are great, but the down changes need allowing for. It won't select the lower gear when you ask for it, and the delay can be infuriating. You can work round it, but it's always there. On the road you won't really find it an issue. Great road car though. Exhaust note is fab, especially with the roof down, and oodles of grunt. How could 5.4 litres of V8 in such a small package ever feel otherwise? My choice. Others have theirs, and that's fine. Me, I'd have another SLK55 in a heartbeat. I only let mine go because a very dear friend fell in love with it after some laps of Goodwood, and she has a persuasive smile ;-)

I spend most of my life surrounded by Mercedes of all shapes and sizes. I'd never own an R230 SL. They just have too many foibles for me. The cars with the M113k are great, but they are a bit unwieldy in the twistys, and coming from an M3 I think they might disappoint in the handling arena. I have owned an R171 SLK55 AMG which I fitted with a KW V3 suspension kit. The stock suspension somehow manages to be too stiff and too bouncy. The springs are too hard and the dampers can't control them adequately. The KW adds compliance with better damping. Total revelation. Round Snetteton the car was easily a match for my mates F80 M3. The 7G tronic is the weak link. Up changes are great, but the down changes need allowing for. It won't select the lower gear when you ask for it, and the delay can be infuriating. You can work round it, but it's always there. On the road you won't really find it an issue. Great road car though. Exhaust note is fab, especially with the roof down, and oodles of grunt. How could 5.4 litres of V8 in such a small package ever feel otherwise? My choice. Others have theirs, and that's fine. Me, I'd have another SLK55 in a heartbeat. I only let mine go because a very dear friend fell in love with it after some laps of Goodwood, and she has a persuasive smile ;-)

You big softie Gazz

I have an SLK 55, 2005 MY (last year with the 6-pot/4-pot brake setup as standard). I spent £300 with Celtic Tuning for a remap - claimed 395 bhp and 420 lb ft. Comparing the weights, stock 0-60 times and the two gearboxes - laggy old 5g box for the 113Ks, 7G in the n/a - it should be at least as quick as the other three (I can't quite recall the E55K - I later had a 550 bhp 5.5 E63, and it's definitely not as quick as that...).

The previous owner had the resonator removed from the exhaust; you need an understanding (very) MoT tester, but it sounds absolutely fecking mental at full chat, and doesn't drone. It's a mad, stripped-out little hooligan hot rod by Mercedes standards, and I like it a lot; Clarkson bought one, and he liked his a lot too. I wouldn't want to do a long journey in it, mind, but I'm quite tall and heavily-built.

SLK55 is very nose heavy. Together with the short wheelbase, the rear is lively and unsettled, especially over diagonal bumps.

I have an SLK 55, 2005 MY (last year with the 6-pot/4-pot brake setup as standard). I spent £300 with Celtic Tuning for a remap - claimed 395 bhp and 420 lb ft. Comparing the weights, stock 0-60 times and the two gearboxes - laggy old 5g box for the 113Ks, 7G in the n/a - it should be at least as quick as the other three (I can't quite recall the E55K - I later had a 550 bhp 5.5 E63, and it's definitely not as quick as that...).

The previous owner had the resonator removed from the exhaust; you need an understanding (very) MoT tester, but it sounds absolutely fecking mental at full chat, and doesn't drone. It's a mad, stripped-out little hooligan hot rod by Mercedes standards, and I like it a lot; Clarkson bought one, and he liked his a lot too. I wouldn't want to do a long journey in it, mind, but I'm quite tall and heavily-built.

Aka tall and fat ;0))

Save a bit more cash and buy a R172 55 AMG , brilliant if you are not tall or overweight.

Save a bit more cash and buy a R172 55 AMG , brilliant if you are not tall or overweight.
More roomy than the R171, but a rather more civilised, different sort of car. My remapped R171 is probably quicker anyway, and it's just perfect for a spot of back-road insanity. The R172 would undeniably be better for long-distance work, but I have whatever big banger I have at the time as a long-distance/dog van car. If the n/a CLS500 was a hatchback I'd have one, and stop looking for anything else, but it isn't.

Got rid of my ML and bought the SLK on impulse, was delighted to find it has turned out to be a good long distance cruiser as well as a real joy on our local country roads.

More roomy than the R171, but a rather more civilised, different sort of car. My remapped R171 is probably quicker anyway, and it's just perfect for a spot of back-road insanity. The R172 would undeniably be better for long-distance work, but I have whatever big banger I have at the time as a long-distance/dog van car. If the n/a CLS500 was a hatchback I'd have one, and stop looking for anything else, but it isn't.
Shooting Brake?

Shooting Brake?

Just had a look; they've dropped in price quite a bit, haven't they? The colours are pretty uninspiring, though, and they're mostly four-pot diesels too.

Last edited:
SLK55 does not have a supercharger. Don't sweat the ABC too much, just stay on top of fluid changes, replace the accumulators and whatever hose is known to blow after time. I have 165k miles on my S55 with ABC and it's still going well.

SLK55 does not have a supercharger. Don't sweat the ABC too much, just stay on top of fluid changes, replace the accumulators and whatever hose is known to blow after time. I have 165k miles on my S55 with ABC and it's still going well.

Thanks, yes, I know, which might be a good thing as otherwise I would be extremely tempted to mod it as I can't leave cars alone! And that's good to hear about your ABC still going strong after so long and so many miles! :)

I can't speak for the R172, but the R171 SLK certainly doesn't have ABC. You're not thinking of the R230, are you?

I can't speak for the R172, but the R171 SLK certainly doesn't have ABC. You're not thinking of the R230, are you?

I assumed E55BOF was answering my general ABC worries that are putting me off an R230 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom