Buying E320 CDI Estate (W211)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lynxxz694

Car
R500 SWB + W211 E500 + ST220 estate + E46 330ci convertible
I am trying to buy an estate for around £10k and one of the options is an E320 CDI.

I have driven one and like it but there seems to be loads of horror stories surrounding them - I always though MB was all about reliability and build quality.

I have found a 2004 model with 1 owner, FSH, 92k, with Command for £9995 from a local dealer (very pleasant). Is it worth a go - will be used for carting the young family around (need room for the baby kit) and trips to The Netherlands.

Also seen a C320 CDI (2005) for £12,000 privately that is lovely but maybe a bit small.

Looking forward the the feedback.

Thanks

The rationale has to be the same regardless of Manufacturer. The more expensive the car when new means that repairs are likely to be more than a cheaper car. With this in mind buy the better car and always know that if a big repair comes along that you will need to pay accordingly. If you resent having to pay then buy a cheaper car.

In the last 2.5 years of having mine I have spent £600 to keep it on the road over and above standard servicing. I have forgone the tail cover lifting automatically because it is £500 to fix. That was from 38,000 to 113,000

Overall it has been worth it. I also expect to move it on at about 160,000 miles and understand that it will probably want 1 or 2 thousand spending on it.

bpsorrel might be selling his very soon, and it is a fabulous car.. seen it quite a few times..

lets see if he sees this thread.. and if he is looking to sell it yet!

oh, and welcome by the way!

Hello and welcome to the forum, every make of motor will have a horror story to tell if you look on the net, few make a page just to say its OK!

Live forums is def the best way to get advice. Good luck in your search.

Welcome!

If the car you're looking at is a facelift model then most of the 'horror' stories will hopefully not apply.

They don't have the Valeo radiator fitted and the electricals were much better.

I think £10k is a little high for the one you're looking at but as it's from a dealer, not surprising.

Check EVERYTHING works on it!

Is it a full MB history? ATF should have been changed by now so could be a bargaining point. An Indie will do this for around £175ish.

The 320 is a lovely engine with more than enough power with reasonably good fuel economy for most of us.

For every horror story there will be many, many satisfied owners with no tale to tell.

I would class myself as one of those and my car has just passed 120k miles.:thumb:

I do hope I haven't tempted fate :doh:

Other than size, 2004 E class will be the straight 6 with 5 speed auto, whilst c320 cdi is the later V6 with 7 speed. Also earlier models may not be galvinised (rust issues). Post 2005 are normally galvanised.

Thanks for all the help so far - selecting a car in this price range is really difficult!

Looking at both the E320 CDI and C320 CDI tomorrow. I prefer the look of the E Class but it has done more miles and therefore may be more tired?

I wouldn't worry about 92K miles on an E320. Mine is 2003 on 130K and I can't believe how good it is, no squeaks, rattles or anything. It drives like I would expect it to straight out of the showroom and I expect it to do so for a lot more miles yet.

Late 2004 on the build went to all galvanised panels so you may want to consider this but only issue I have had is some minor bubbling on the roof trims which I'll be getting sorted next year.

That is good to hear - I just want a car that will go on and on without issue (obviously I will have it serviced regularly).

That is good to hear - I just want a car that will go on and on without issue (obviously I will have it serviced regularly).

If that is REALLY what you want then you need to buying something Japanese - and specifically a Toyota or a Honda.

Don't be so sure. They have their issues too.

I recently repaired a Toyota with rust holes you could have got your head in. Truly shocking.

^ Also didn't a member on here but a Honda Estate and quite new one, but has had issues....

Grass isn't always greener

800 squid for a new heater matrix methinks I also think he said Honda did a small goodwill payment but not sure.

Before buying My C Class estate i looked at E class estate and whilst nice i felt it to big for everyday use. Understand buying one if need the space for job but if only one/two persons in the car for a majority of time then may be to big. Just a thought if space only required occassionally.

Ah well now that's a different prospect. No car is going to guarantee you that more's the pity. And the truth is that if you do have issues they will be dearer to fix than on a cheaper car.

After losing a huge amount in depreciation on my last car (New Audi A4 avant) I decided that I was prepared to exchange some of the depreciation costs for increased maintenance and repairs on a much nicer and older car. I have no regrets in my decision, I actually prefer my 7 year old E Class to a brand new Audi A4 but have had a few issues.

This year I've had to replace an alternator and battery as well as a set of front springs. Having taken the car in for a service, ATF change and new Thermostat today I have just discovered that I also need rear springs, rear discs and pads and that there was coolant in the ATF so defininitely need new radiator as well. I knew that I had a Valeo so was going to change it anyway but was hoping to be able to wait until after Christmas.

All of the above plus the depreciation this year is still significantly less than the amount I lost in one year on my last car so I am fairly sanguine about it. Although I don't expect these kinds of issues to happen often I know that they will at some point and when they do will not be cheap to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom