Buying E320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ivandraganov

V6 or L6 is the question,any help please.Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I have a lot to say on the subject and I'll cover just the basics. I've never owned a L6 but have driven one and been a passanger in two. They are a fair bit gruffer than the V6 engine, and are not as powerful. Still good, but not as good.

Performance wise, the V6 is a class act. The performance and refinement are near v8 petrol, and the economy is a match almost for my old E220cdi. They are a fast car thats very quiet and economical.

Sadly, and before the 7g fanboi's come along, I am not a 7g fanboi and think the box is not as good. And that comes from driving a fair number of 7g cars built from 2005-2009 and a range of 5g cars from my old one, to a 55amg, S500L, 2009E220cdi BE etc. I would suggest a drive in both to really make sure you know what you like and what you don't like as they are very different transmissions.

Reliability. The V6 does seem to give some issues, mainly the IPS motor that operates the swirl flap mechanism, and a few others. The tranmission also gives issues with the valve block. I'd search inlet port shot off motor, engine bearings, and valve body faults. For the I6 research injector leaks, 5g pilot bush leaks and valeo rads

The 5g I6 car is mechanically more robust, but it will be older than the V6/7g car. However, an early V6CDi car, is worth avoiding like gonorrhea and if there are two 2005 cars, get the I6 car.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your respond,I can't made my mind which one to buy.I have read somewhere that E320 CDI v6 is capable of returning up to 50 mpg which is astonishing.I have tested Audi a4 1.9 TDI 1995 90bhp couldn't do more that 42 mpg combined cycle.Am I getting something wrong?cheers

That 50mpg figure would be motorway driving still good though, managed 45mpg out my S320CDI motorway miles, returns mid 30s round town L6

ivandraganov said:
Thanks a lot for your respond,I can't made my mind which one to buy.I have read somewhere that E320 CDI v6 is capable of returning up to 50 mpg which is astonishing.I have tested Audi a4 1.9 TDI 1995 90bhp couldn't do more that 42 mpg combined cycle.Am I getting something wrong?cheers

Like this, from my 2007 E320 V6 CDi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like this, from my 2007 E320 V6 CDi?
How do you manage to get 50mpg.

The most I have got on my E320cdi is 40mpg and that is driving very sensibly.:confused:

BTW sorry for highjacking the thread, but is 50mpg a one off or realisitic to get on a regular bases.

The most I have got on my E320cdi is 40mpg and that is driving very sensibly.:confused:

BTW sorry for highjacking the thread, but is 50mpg a one off or realisitic to get on a regular bases.

At a guess, 50MPH at 1000 rpm? for a long journey? which I rarely do. Best I have had is 44ish on a run to Birmingham crusing at around 80ish. Locally, I can drop down to the low 20s in heavy stop start traffic but average around the 29s in medium traffic.

I am a bit dissapointed with the consumption but it is a trade off with the refinement/performance of the V6.

(Just to add, mines a 280)

Last edited:
Kiki said:

The clock is obviously showing a motorway run, but as to my driving style which helps me achieve such figures, I was taught by my dad (an avid biker) three important things; anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. This mantra has helped me become a very observant and thoughtful driver (or so I'd like to think...)

Here is the clock from the run home from me buying the car;

Last edited by a moderator:
The V6 even with on our more hilly terrain will return 43-45mpg without trying. Going 60 on A and B roads and 75 on mway run I got 43mpg out of mine. The blend of economy refinement and power is the thing I like about the engine.

OP try both and see what you like re transmissions and engines and research the potential pitfalls reliability wise of each...

I'm confused a little,S320 cdi would be heavier than E320 cdi and thus thirstier,what about SLS320 cdi.Are they all get similar average mpg

Sorry I meant CLS320 CDI and any advice for E220CDI against E270 CDI.Cheers

I've yet to better 40mpg from my CLS320cdi, but maybe that's my driving style.. :D

Wow... that is some fatastic MPG achieved by V6 CDI, the best i've got is 35MPG, but that is mixed driving so not too bad.

Hello

I have a IL6 S211 regulary on any trip over say 5miles get over 40mpg and generally around 45mpg to 50mpg (athough I've never seen 50, only 49.2mpg)

its been a great car, bought by my dad new in 2003 and has now done 135K miles. I've owend in nearly 2 years and it really very good at everything it does. I've fitted a Brabus D6 box and have no issues with performance it goes very well...

I did think about swapping mine for a V6 version but when its been so good, there seems little point. I think its next swap if Mercedes will be the S212 model.

Any thoughts on E220 cdi manual gearbox,I never drove Mercedes with auto gearbox ,I prefer manual gearbox but was thinking that 7G tronic must be good,don't like idea of 5G auto.What is the reading of rev gauge when doing 80 mph on 7g E320 or S320 CDI

ivandraganov said:
Any thoughts on E220 cdi manual gearbox,I never drove Mercedes with auto gearbox ,I prefer manual gearbox but was thinking that 7G tronic must be good,don't like idea of 5G auto.What is the reading of rev gauge when doing 80 mph on 7g E320 or S320 CDI

I've not sampled one but it should be more ecomical. You do have the curse of dual mass fly wheels so I'd recommend the auto to avoid that.

7g cars do 80mph at 2000rpm. A 5g will be revving its nuts off at a massive 2200rpm lol.

A manual 220 will be still be slower than an auto 320. An auto 220 is fine and for your money you'll get a newer car which means you should have less maintance costs initially.

There's no real difference in fuel consumption between the 320 and 280, so here's what my 280 did on the way home from work today....

IMG00021-20120508-1848.jpg

Re: the gearing - I think mine shows about 1,900rpm @ 80mph and from memory, I seem to recall getting about 2,500rpm in the E220 at that speed rather than 2,200rpm? (are those the 70mph revs?) Pedantic? Me? :)

I wouldn't have a manual and as *** says, try the auto. Personally I prefer the 7G but the 5G is fine too.

There's no real difference in fuel consumption between the 320 and 280, so here's what my 280 did on the way home from work today....

IMG00021-20120508-1848.jpg

Re: the gearing - I think mine shows about 1,900rpm @ 80mph and from memory, I seem to recall getting about 2,500rpm in the E220 at that speed rather than 2,200rpm? (are those the 70mph revs?) Pedantic? Me? :)

I wouldn't have a manual and as *** says, try the auto. Personally I prefer the 7G but the 5G is fine too.

Maybe I was thinking about the 212 5G BE 220cdi I had. It definately was 2000rpm at 70 and c. 2200 at 80,.

I can't quite remember mine but think 60 was 2000rpm and 90 wasn't quite 3000rpm so you may well be correct.

That engine rev'd harder, all the way to 4700, the V6 doesn't rev as hard as that (around 4200rpm). I should know, at 140mph it was past 4500rpm in my old car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom