Buying M-Class 2005-2008 MY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Karina

Car
Land Rover Freelander 2 auto
I'm thinking of changing from my Freelander 2 to an M-Class. I have no experience with the M-Class so I'm looking for advice. Is there anything that I should be aware of?

As an example, my FL2 is permanent wheel drive. All four tyres must be the same make and within 2-3mm all round and replaced as a full set. Should the fronts be almost new and have 7mm tread and the rears have 3mm tread, the haldex rear diff is likely to be damaged over time. Also mixed makes of tyres can upset the haldex diff on the FL2.

I've bought many cars and motorbikes over the years so I'm not exactly clueless. Obviously the basic checks like all switches work, the auto box is smooth etc. What I need to know is there anything like I've listed about the FL2 that not everyone is aware of? Gimme the bad stuff as well as the good please.

I did want an E-Class estate but I need something that is easy for me to get in and out of easily as I've got arthritis in my spine, hips, shoulders and neck. Also I have spondylitis and prolapsed discs in my spine. Hence why I need comfort and a decent height for easy access.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Karina. I can not speak from personal experience but my brother in law had an early (used) model ML (2005 I think) It was not the best choice of car for him mainly because due to his lack of mechanical skills and no garage or driveway he had to pay someone to fix every little thing that went wrong with it , not sure if he bought a lemon but it was forever being repaired the final straw was an electrical fault that sent it to the scrapyard. I rode in it on a number of occasions and it was comfortable and went well.

The very early one were built in Austria - up to around 2005 I think - after that they were all built in the USA, some say that's when the problems began.

They were popular and there are lot's of them around so they can't be that bad. I would say it depends on your budget and if you are able to make any repairs yourself if they arise.

There are a number of members on here with first hand real world experience who will help you decide . Best of luck .

I guess it's the same with most cars out there. My Alfa 147 never let me down but others have been a heap of grief. I miss my 147 but they're too low for me, even if it handled like it was on rails. But I digress and I don't want to hijack my thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom