Buying S-Class - need help please guys!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jig

Hi all,

I am considering buying an S-Class from a private seller and was wondering if you guys have any comments ?

It is a 2001-Y plate new shape S500L in silver with black leather with 16,000 miles. It has all the standard toys & sat nav but has the following extras: Phone prewire, Keyless go and Linguatronic.

The car seems in excellent condition and bodywork has the odd minor scratch but nothing major and inside just needs a valet. Also the owner has the keyless go cards but they need programming.

It has a low mileage but I am told the first owner(lived abroad-dubai, and did not come over too much hence most of the time the car was kept in a garage) and the current owner(who works for the first owner) took ownership of the car January this year. He tells me the car was given to him (as payment) by the boss and he is selling to get the money as he does not need such an expensive car. The first owner is on the V5 but under a company name.

I have bought the price down to £35k and he is not budging anymore.

Is this a good price ? Is the mileage too low(therefore tampered with) ? Does it sound dodgy or genuine?? Why have the cards not been programmed already? Does it cost much to have them programmed?

I have checked the service book and it has had only one service and that was last year at the 10,000 miles mark at a MB dealer and the computer is showing 4000miles to go before the next.

I have booked the car in at an MB service centre for them to carry out a full inspection on the vehicle. I understand that this the same as the check they do for their cars under the signature scheme.

Is there anything else that I should request them to check??

I have already completed an AA car data check and everything is clear and its a UK car.

Any advice or help much appreciated.

16,000 miles, the car should be like new in the interior. Does it really need a good Valet?

I would be very cautious about this car as the story sounds rather fanciful but nevertheless I suppose it could be genuine. These cars can do some serious mileages but still look new so be careful.

Does MB have any more info on the car? Its worth a try in any event. One service in 16k miles and three years seems rather low - especially if it only had one oil change.

As for the keyless go, I cant understand why the cards would need programming - I mean why have this feature and never use it. Again ceck with an MB dealer that the chassis number relates to a car that does have this feature and that its going to be simple to reprogram the cards.

At 16000 as Sp!ke says it should be like new inside. The tyres should also have deep tread and the engine bay should be cleanish.

Keyless go should have been preprogrammed from new, and not need altering??? :confused:

The mileage seems to stack up with the service data. :)

It may not be reported stolen if the owner does not know that it has been stolen.

Make sure you have documentary evidence that the car was given to the guy. Ask for original purchase invoice, and also confirmation that the car was 'given' to the current owner. I must say that this sounds dodgy to me. The chauffer will have access to all docs, so could easily sell a car which does not belong to him while owner is away out of the country and unaware of what's going on.

Thanks for the info guys, I am very suspicious too, however the V5 has his name on it and he has shown me his photo drivers licence which matches the V5.
The Data check confirms that there is one previous keeper(im assuming this is the boss) and the current keeper is the seller.

The car is like new inside, just a bit dusty.

He is also happy for the car to be checked out at the MB service centre for the inspection, but he is taking the car there but I have booked it in and hoping to get a call from the engineer.

He has shown me a copy of the orginal sales invoice, an mot certificate, the service book with one stamp and invoice for new set of alloys and wheels (put on the car last year). Therefore the tyres are all like new and the alloys have a few scuffs. The spare hasnt been used.

I like the car but still am very suspicious, what further checks/precautions should I take?

I telephoned MB who checked their computers and they could only find the one service which was as shown on the service book. The told me the warranty was no longer valid as it is now outside the three year period. They also said that if the mileage hasd been tampered with they should be able to tell once the hook the car up to their diagnostic computers.

The seller know tells me he only has one key as the second key is with a friend who is currently abroad but he will forward this on.....suspicious?or genuine??

How can I protect myself if this is someone trying to sell of a stolen car??

Well at first glance, this does sounds quite dodgy ! (Doesn't mean it is, though!) I would be very wary about spending that kind of money until you have had it fully checked out.

Sadly V5s, Driving Licences, and other documents are still "forgeable" despite any number of new security measures. If its a genuine seller, they will agree to any additional checks that you want to carry out. If they show any signs of reticence - walk away !

There is a facility to check whether an MOT is genuine, by contacting the test centre that issued it, I believe.

S.

Thanks guys,

What other checks MUST be carried out if I go ahead with the purchase of this car??

Please help as I am having the car sent to the MB garage tommorow and hoping to have a clearer idea before hand?

Jig

If MB are doing the checks that they do for "signature" then if you do buy the car ask your dealer if they will sell you a signature warranty aswell. This will give you peace of mind.

Can he explain why the alloys were changed and what happened to the originals??

Try contacting the company that are registered as the previous owners?? See what details they can give you.

Best of luck.

Tan

The Car may check out ok on the Mercedes inspection and it will be an excellent purchase.
My main concern would be the ownership of the car.
For £35k you could have a serious scammer.
I am unsure what you could do to protect yourself.
If the Car has not been reported stolen or there is no finance owed on it, it is not going to show up on any hpi...or other search's.
It is a case of "Buyer Beware"
If you are having doubts walk away!

Joe

2002 MERCEDES-BENZ S500
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 18,000 miles, Aragonite Blue with Anthresite Leather Metallic, 1 Owner. Rear climate control, Soft close doors and boot, Electric steering column, Electric heated memory seats, Command, Adjustable seats, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Headlight washers, Leather seats, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Multi function steering wheel, Passenger airbag, Radio, Remote locking, Side airbags, Sunroof, CD Multichanger, Park distance control. A once in a lifetime chance to own a superb car with a low mileage and in first class condiution. £34,995.

Walk Away

The above is one of many listed on Auto Trader at the moment.
Same Price, a year younger, only 18000 miles and with the benefit and security of buying from a dealer.

Why risk it?

have you seen the one below by snowy?

17 odd K.... im sure you can find a slightly higher milage one with better spec for less...

The missing key makes me nervous. If you don't have all the keys, what's to stop your car being 'nicked' by the other key? I would not part with the cash until the other key turns up.

C240Sport97 said:
The missing key makes me nervous. If you don't have all the keys, what's to stop your car being 'nicked' by the other key? I would not part with the cash until the other key turns up.
The other keys can be removed from the EIS by the stealership, just take the keys you DO have and they will remove any extras. You can have up to 8 keys on a modern mercedes. Depending on how friendly you are with the servicing people you may or may not be charged for this service.

Shude said:
The other keys can be removed from the EIS by the stealership, just take the keys you DO have and they will remove any extras. You can have up to 8 keys on a modern mercedes. Depending on how friendly you are with the servicing people you may or may not be charged for this service.

How many keys should there be?

He has the other key now so there are two keys..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom