buying sec 500 problems to look for

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc amg

Car
merc
i am thinking of buying a mercedes sec 500 160k with full history only three previous owners are there anythings i need to look out for as in common faults
it does have an idel issue where revs drop when warm this started after thr engine was cleaned using a pressure washer

Rear Parcel Shelf for Rust, always a problem.

I'm guessing that the car is around 30 years-old so check for rust just about everywhere.

As well as the rear parcel shelf area already mentioned, check the sills, jacking points, front wings and valance, rear wheel arches, spare wheel well and interior foot wells.

I'm sure there are lots of other areas that hide rust but checking the above will give you a fair indication of the car's structural condition.

Last edited:
SEC's can be conveniently divided ito two categories one's that are sound and relatively expensive to buy and those that are cheap to buy and will require expensive repairs.

ps I would be very wary of a car that won't idle when warmed up. There are simple things like the motorised rotary idle valve but that's easy to sort and should have been done. Then there's dodgy compression!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Rust, Upper front Drag link were it come through the fire wall
Rust, Foward Front Chassis Rails
Rust Jacking point, easy to see pre faclift, Post facelift remove the covers and have a look
Rust Bottom of the Doors
Rust Rear forward and rear inner wings
Rust corner of inner wing aound the sunroof drains
Boot floor wells and Parcel shelf mentioned above.
Alloy corrosion around the bootlid and bonnet stars.
Windscreen RUbber seal perishing.
Seatbelt butlers
Heater blows Hot and Cold , Cruise control, Rear windows drop down Buttons on the front seat to allow them to fold forward. Rear headlining not sagging.
Worn and leaking steering box high idle when warm.
No flaring of the gears between changing.

They are a cracking car absolutely loved mine it was a 1984 500sec.

What is the high idle at warm down to, besides changing the fuse to the OVP relay??

Valve seat recession, fragile timing chain tensioners, cam oiling pipes, cracked distibutors and also condensation there. Weeping brake master cylinders, poor idling - the idle control module is about £1300 from MB. Don't buy a pattern one, SL shop had a lot in stock, all turned out to be faulty.

Flaring gearbox could be as simple as the K1 spring but also could be worn friction plates. Look for lots of evidence of ATF changes.

I forgot bumper chromes front and rear.

Last edited:
So that's 6 posts telling you like it is. Enough to put all but the most enthusiastic future SEC 500 owner off for life !!

Good luck , whatever you choose to do.

And a clever move asking on here BEFORE purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom