Buying secondhand parts from America

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_C

I am thinking of buying a couple of W124 parts from Ebay in America as they are not very common over here.
I can't work out whether I will pay additional tax(es) when they arrive.

Does anyone have experience of doing this or should the whole thing be avoided?

Items I'm looking at will be around $150/200 posted.

Andy

I am thinking of buying a couple of W124 parts from Ebay in America as they are not very common over here.
I can't work out whether I will pay additional tax(es) when they arrive.

Does anyone have experience of doing this or should the whole thing be avoided?

Items I'm looking at will be around $150/200 posted.

Andy

You'll have to pay duty, and then VAT on top.

What is it you can't get here??

I'm after the third brake light for a W124 estate and a W124 armrest with storage compartment.

Andy

ive bought an item which cost me 539 usd and ive paid

Ive made the payment through their website using parcel reference number stated on the letter. the item then arrived at my door the next day.

The US postal mailing docket should be written to read 'used car spares' with a lesser purchase price (if the seller is willing)

although I didn't tell you that. :ban:

Oh dear - bought parts many times from across the pond, new and used, but never had to or been asked to pay any duty.

Does it make a difference if it's from ebay or a company?

Does it make a difference if it's from ebay or a company?

In my experience it doesn't, it does seem to be pot luck as to wether items get through without the VAT and import duty being added. I suspect if you could plan your item to go through at the end of shift you're more likely to get away with it ;)

Depends!

A company is under obligation to package items professionally and label correctly for UK export.

If an item is bought off Joe Bloggs from USA Fleabay then sent over in a brown paper bag as though it's a Christmas Jumper from long lost Aunty Mary then its less likely to attract attention from HMRC's border peeps.

.........................unless the Dog can smell drugs on it that is! :eek:

Bid - pay - pay postage - recieve item.

Like you ive purchased an arm rest and a couple of other items from US 124 ebayer's

I've bought a few items for my w126s down the years from ebay.com and the seller has always marked them as a gift. I then didn't pay any more taxes or import duty. If the seller doesn't offer to mark them as a gift then why not ask them nicely ? After all if you don't ask you don't get, good luck.

W124 parts are plentiful in germany... look on ebay.de

Shipping is much quicker and works out a lot cheaper.

W124 parts are plentiful in germany... look on ebay.de

Shipping is much quicker and works out a lot cheaper.

You know what mate i find ebay.de sellers a pain in the ass to communicate with.

you ask them one thing and they would either answer with one liners or not even answer to what you have asked!

Half of them dont even ship abroad or deal with Paypal!! :mad: (well the ones i want to part my money in exchange for some goodies with anyway)

Last edited:
Never had too much bother with ebay.de sellers. Old Passats (32b) are another passion of mine and nearly everything apart from service items has to be sourced from there.

I keep my questions short & sweet and find if they don't mention postage outside Germany, they normally don't or can't be bothered. I'll just take my business elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom