Buying used alloy wheels and tyres from Germany?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Logbrog

Car
E350
Has anyone bought used alloys from Germany on eBay Recently
there are 2 or 3 big established ebay sellers from Germany.
question really is about VAT/ import charges since we have left EU single market.
thanks

Does price include German VAT at 19%? You will have to pay 20% on import plus other charges
Get a quote from vendor less German VAT.
I just bought a radio from Germany and the vendor is not VAT registered and it will cost an extra 25%,
VAT, handling charges etc.

I think below £135 there are no import charges , that’s what I got from HMRC’s website the other month and it worked with an Autodoc order

I think you are right, have heard same number.
But there are considerable increase in cost of paperwork/documentation.
The radio I am getting for my 190B costs around €235 so VAT and other charges will be added.
Downside of Brexit.

I ordered £560 from Autodoc with no charges.
I think it's more do do with you are buying from a "UK site", although there are sent from their German warehouse.

I bought a new pair of multibeam headlights from a Germany eBay seller, price was €1200 inclusive, but this was in August 2020.

I ordered £560 from Autodoc with no charges.
I think it's more do do with you are buying from a "UK site", although there are sent from their German warehouse.

The website doesn't matter - if it ships to you from outside the UK it'll come through customs and you're liable to get hit for VAT/import duty/handling fees.

Crucially, HM Revenue & Customs warns you WON'T necessarily be told of extra charges such as customs duty and courier fees at the point you order an item, because the seller isn't charging you these directly. So it's important to work out and factor in likely extra charges when you order. If in doubt:

• Check where the item is coming from. We've heard several cases of people thinking they were ordering from a UK firm, before later finding out the order has come from France, Italy or another European country.

Importantly, it's where the item is dispatched from which counts – not where it's manufactured, or where the company you're buying from is based. So if in doubt, check with the seller.

Logbrog - let us know when your wheel arrive and if you were hit with any more charges. Looking for winter wheels and tyres myself.:thumb:

I'll be interested to hear the conclusion on this one myself.

My suspicion is that the German domestic VAT is balanced by the UK VAT, so then it's cheaper German prices offset by shipping charges, but let's see what happens.

I looked at importing German "Winter" wheels a few years ago and they were WAY cheaper than UK prices because of the curious local regs which made people own two sets of wheels, the winter set being seldom used.

That's OK if you are dealing with a VAT registered company. Small companies not registered and individual vendors you will pay 20% UK VAT plus extra £11 demurrage. I am in the process of importing a classic car radio from Germany. The package has disappeared into the bowls of DHL.

The radio I bought from a German non VAT registered vendor
Radio. £271.37
VAT. £48.75
Clearance fee. £12.00
So be aware can become expensive, downside of Brexit.

To be clear, the EU vendor of a shipment to the UK worth £135 or less must charge you UK VAT and pass it on to HMRC. The exception is if you are buying via an 'online marketplace' (eBay etc.) - the marketplace is then responsible for collecting the VAT, not the seller. Some smaller companies that sell direct can't be bothered with registering for UK VAT (there's a fair bit of associated admin. & record keeping), and won't sell to the UK any more.

If the shipment is valued at over £135 it will be sold to you excluding VAT (this includes online marketplaces), and this (plus import duty if applicable) will become payable to HMRC on arrival in the UK (usually collected by the shipper).

The radio was via eBay, they did not collect the VAT, it was Parcel Force.

Yep, that's what I said should happen:

If the shipment is valued at over £135 it will be sold to you excluding VAT (this includes online marketplaces), and this (plus import duty if applicable) will become payable to HMRC on arrival in the UK (usually collected by the shipper).

Cheers - let us know when that rogue wheel arrives! o_O
Sounds like a good seller though...what wheels did you go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom