Buying white goods, furniture + a TV online...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maxi4

Car
Not an MB right now :(
Guys,
Need the collective thoughts on some upcoming expense...

We are looking to move early next year (Jan hopefully), and in the need for a new Fridge/freezer, a TV and some furniture (oak f'niture that my wife likes). I have visited many stores and checked prices etc and obviously online seems a lot better on price!

Would you...shop online (and spend around 10K) for such items? One website in particulr (appliancesdirect.co.uk) seems very good, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this site? or anything else you would recommend?

Cheers

Pete

I don't think I would have a problem with getting it online. I've used them before and they were fine, that said I didn't spend that amount of money.

I wonder if you might get a hefty discount in the likes of currys or something when your spending that amount? Might be worth asking?

We usually examine the goods in real stores, and make a choice/choices, then buy online, although sometimes stores like Currys will match online prices.

A.O for me too - priced well and a good service.

Have bought from Oakfurnitureland a few times - daughter bought a bed, we added bedside tables, chest of drawers then large TV stand. Good quality, well made (my retirement hobby is cabinetmaking, so I'm picky!).

Also bought from AO.com (which used to be Appliances Online) and have been happy with both purchases.

For TV, suggest a visit to John Lewis as they always seem to have a massive display so you can compare picture quality. Beware viewing angle for LED screens - we found it very limited compared to our plasma screen. Also sound quality - modern sets are so thin there's little room for speakers, so sound can be a bit thin unless you go for a separate surround system. Once you know exactly which screen you want, shop around - but look also at what warranty you get!

Last edited:
We've had a Siemens American style fridge freezer jobby from Appliances Direct. Absolutely no probs on service and delivery.
We ordered a LG washing machine from AO and as above, no problems.

We have also recently ordered some oak furniture from of all places, Next Home online.
Bit pricey but excellent build quality and finish. They delivered a nest of tables, a cabinet and a TV unit. All delivered on time and so well packaged it was untrue.
Wouldn't hesitate in ordering from any of the above again.

Our ten year old washing machine blew up the evening before Black Friday. Ordered from AO.com at 8.30PM, was with us by 1PM the next day. I'd recommend for white goods.

With Consumer Contract Regulations (used to be distance selling regs) you're actually better off buying on line than in stores.

Just make sure you pay with credit cards rather than debit cards. It makes life easier of there's an issue.

Richer sounds for TV and audio no one better for advice, good prices and 5 year guarantee

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

My advice would be to go and talk with a couple of local, privately run, retailers. I say more than one purely because you're unlikely to find one that sells white goods, oak furniture and TV's.

If you're spending a large sum, I guarantee that they will offer a deal. Even better, by supporting them with a purchase today you'll still have a free local showroom in future to go look at goods in, prod them, poke them, and get free advice about them, before you buy cheaper online :rolleyes:

I would however get my TV from John Lewis or Richer Sounds.
The 5yr no quibble guarantee and 12.5% discount at JL is a big decider too:thumb:

Everything is bought locally.
Granted, it may be from the local Debenhams, John Lewis, Richer Sounds et al and even Costco but never mail order or a supermarket. I like to support the smaller businesses if I possible (if they have or can get the item) but if not, I still go local because, what if it goes wrong? Much easier to jump in the car and speak in person than try to deal with a nameless, faceless online entity who-knows-where in the country and having to do without for a protracted period whilst repair or replacement is organised.
It may cost a few pounds more but worth it for peace of mind and proper customer service, surely.

I would price up online, but then speak to a few local independent retailers. For a £10k transaction they may be able to surprise you with the deal they can put together, and you can feel smug knowing that you're helping a local business get through the tough post sales period in the New Year. :thumb:

Quick update - haven't had much time to do anymore on this due to the holidays. Will keep you guys posted if anything interesting.

Cheers Pete

Leaving it late may be a good thing with the post Christmas sales etc. Good luck bargain hunting and enjoy your on-line shopping experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom