Bye bye coupe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Germgh0st

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW G20 M340i
Bit of a shame, the 2-door cars look great. Had a W204 coupe, liked it a lot though it was a bugger to get kiddy seats in and out of the back when on grandad duty. One of the reasons it had to go.

I really don’t believe Mercedes will not make any 2 door coupes .. fewer maybe, but not none

S Class and maybe E Class, I get... I cannot see them making C classes without a 2 door option...

Getting mixed messages about this one. Obviously the E-class and C-class coupe is a big success here in the UK so I dont get it why they would "chop" it. In regards to S-Class coupe what I am gathering is that they are not renewing the lineup right now because they want the brand new SL coming out end of the year to shine. So in essence C217 missed its next renew cycle which is about now. I agree the GT63S killed the CLS line-up especially since they brought out the 43/53 variants. Not to mention the new CLS looks so boring. The S-Class coupe is not a huge hit because lets face it, it's pretty expensive. I see more S560 and S63 in Zone 1/Zone 2 Central London than GT63S. 2-door coupe (as if a coupe could actually be 4-door) has a lot of competition from Ford, BMW, Bentley etc. Leaving the segment is a stupid financial move. Other brands are not selling as many GT coupes either so it just means less production numbers. I think the other problem with the S-Class coupe is that E-Class and C-Class are very close aproximations whereas Bentley Intercontinental is so unique in its design.

Product rationalistion for the rental market - all part of the $bn savings MB are planning

The Sclass coupe will live on for mainly the states, loads of them there.

It's a sad day when the story line suggests that 7 coupes + the CLS(!) get the chop but 8 SUV's stay :-(

In my imaginary future garage I can't see any SUV's or crossovers but I can see several coupes and a CLS.

I'd better get on with it I guess.

It makes sense to reduce the range. Best to cull silly ones like the S coupe first.

It makes sense to reduce the range. Best to cull silly ones like the S coupe first.

So you think models like the SLC , SEC , CL etc silly ? !!!

Top end coupes have always been part of the range : goes back at least to the 300S .

Owned by people like Bing Crosby , Sinatra , the Aga Khan , and similarly notable

1098929-1536.jpg

1971_mercedes-benz_280se_3-5_coupe_1558897009cfcd2331_file_001.jpg

Last edited:
I hope the pillarless coupes aren’t for the chop - MB are the only company I can think of who still make them(?). They are fantastic on sunny days but without the faff and expense of a convertible. And they’re just cool.

I hope the pillarless coupes aren’t for the chop - MB are the only company I can think of who still make them(?). They are fantastic on sunny days but without the faff and expense of a convertible. And they’re just cool.
Ah , but they went one better in the 1950s , when the W189 Adenauer was available as a pillar less saloon ( 4 doors ) ; I have been in one and it is a sublime experience to be driven in the back with all the windows down :)

Acknowledgements to the owners of the following pictures , which I found on the internet .

1958-mercedes-benz-300d-adenauer-saloon.jpg

1958-mercedes-benz-300d-adenauer-saloon1.jpg

1958-mercedes-benz-300d-adenauer-saloon2.jpg

And what a lovely place to drive in

1959-mercedes-benz-300d-pillarless-saloon2.jpg

1959-mercedes-benz-300d-pillarless-saloon.jpg

But probably best of all to be driven in .

1959-mercedes-benz-300d-pillarless-saloon1.jpg

8575869112_2c83046357_b.jpg

Mercedes-300d-w189-640x362.jpg

Last edited:
Before the war , of course , if you wanted to stand out from the more commonplace 540K Special Roadsters , you could instead order the coupe , of which only a handful were made .

But then , you had to be one of the very privileged elite to be able to own one .

images_mercedes-benz_typ-500k-540k-w29_1937_6_b.jpg

1936-Mercedes-Benz-540-K-Spezial-Coupe.jpg

std_1936_mercedes_benz_540k_special_coupe-cutawaymax.jpg

I watched a documentary the other day and the number of SUV sales is sky high. It is for this reason that companies like Bentley HAD to make an SUV - and it contributes to around 50% of their sales.

I think manufacturers created new segments which (some) were not needed. They crossed over between existing segments and are now probably on the chopping board. Look at BMW for example, there was a 3, 5 and 7 series. The old 6 and 8 series came back and then a new 1,2 and 4 series too. Not too mention the X series. and the the GT. Do we need all of these variants?

Reactions: 219
The roadsters , too , were very attractive cars , so often black or red ...

article-image-01-1024x455.jpg

1935_MercedesBenz_540KSpezialRoadster81.jpg

1938-Mercedes-Benz-540K-Special-Roadster-by-Nawrocki4.jpg

But if you were a big enough shot in those days , Mercedes-Benz would paint your car in any colour of your choice . This particular big shot had his car painted in a special shade of blue that reminded him of the sky ... apparently he had something to do with aviation ?

37_mercedes_540K_Spcl_Rdstr_DV-06-MDB_03.jpg

They also took the car back , modified the seating position , and reduced the size of the steering wheel so that he could fit in more comfortably ! In those days getting poor service from your dealership was probably unheard of !

blue_g10.jpg

12026768.46arb38gyz.900x1000.jpg

Indeed , in those days , if you couldn't find an empty road on which to enjoy your Mercedes-Benz , then they would construct some , just for you 🙃

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Stunning machines.

But then , you had to be one of the very privileged elite to be able to own one .

and rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom