Bye bye... off to the land of the rising sun...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
Decided finally today its time for a change.

Tried hardc to get an ML to do the job - nope - rusty pile of poo, broken trim (on nearly new ones, let alone the 'old' ones at 20K...

so I have ordered one of these:-

3894935577.jpg

£20,999.... + vat..

Still have the 1972 coupe though. :)

MMmmm. Nissan. Must think good thoughts. 350Zs and Skylines :D ;)

You obviously needed a tool for a task the CL wasn't up to.

I LOVE the new L200....................

Last edited:
It is a funky while useful looking bit of kit.

thought process was:-
Need 4x4 for off road camera tracking applications.
Might as well get pickup to bolt cameras to / tow things
Want auto
Want toys

Narrowed to:-
L200
Hilux
Navara

L200 = 0-60 in auto form - 17 seconds! :eek: (11 for manual) - they dont make an auto previous version (not the one above)
Hilux - no auto in UK version (can get auto in import) - but is underpowered at 102 brake, = 20 seconds 0-60
Navara - 174 BHP... sat nav, leccy everything (only one touch window down on drivers side though :( ) 0-60 11 seconds. By far the best, quickest, 'nippiest' LOL....

funky looking back cover thing that makes it look a bit like a humvee
nissnavv000.jpg

Just wait.... as you know, I'm also looking at these, and took one out for a drive. Try hammering it round a corner... 402ft/lbs 174bhp on weight on the back, leaf rear springy things....and your looking out the side window in the direction of travel. On a dry road. On a big roundabout (A41/A1).

They also have bluetooth....and a 7m turning circle....

Trying to decide between Navara and the L200 elegance (165BHP, 375ft/lbs with Mitso approved chip upgrade).

Welcome to the world of fuel economy, I get 14 mpg out of my Shogun.

BTW if company car be careful with hardtop as this alters the load to cabin ratio which can kick it out of VAN land (and the salesman play dumb on this).

Last edited by a moderator:
WLeg said:
Just wait.... as you know, I'm also looking at these, and took one out for a drive. Try hammering it round a corner... 402ft/lbs 174bhp on weight on the back, leaf rear springy things....and your looking out the side window in the direction of travel. On a dry road. On a big roundabout (A41/A1).

They also have bluetooth....and a 7m turning circle....

Trying to decide between Navara and the L200 elegance (165BHP, 375ft/lbs with Mitso approved chip upgrade).
What the feck do you expect.
Its a frickin blinged-up pickup,not a go-cart.

Sorry to be a bore but I thought this may help anyone buying for tax reasons. Also be warned that all is set to change next month.

Why would we want to use a pick-up/van as a company vehicle?

Purely and simply because of the tax saving! The advantage of having a company car classed as a van is that the taxable benefit will be £500 a year maximum, plus the Taxman throws in any private fuel tax-free. Forget about percentages of list price based on emissions, this is a flat rate. This means that the maximum employer’s NI you pay is £59 (£500 x 11.8%). For the employee that’s only £200 in income tax (40% x £500) if they are a higher rate taxpayer. Great way to save tax, but a van’s hardly very glamorous is it? Not really, but a four door pick-up can be classed as a van and these days have as many features (and some would say style) as the traditional executive machine.
The advantage of having a company car classed as a van is that the taxable benefit will be £500 a year maximum.

Then there are the so-called “lifestyle” vehicles based on the double cab pick up. These have smart upholstery, air conditioning, electric windows etc. The load space is still there, but it’s unlikely to be used for serious loads of bricks, bags of cement etc.

So how do we get this past the Taxman?

Car salesmen are quick to point out the “tax efficiency “ of these supposed vans. But it’s only the Taxman’s view that counts so don’t fall for the sales patter. There is no case law or other official decision on what counts as a van for tax purposes. And he definitely won’t give you a ruling as to “van or car” before you buy the four-door pick-up of your choice. You won’t even counter any resistance when you send in the Form P46 (Car) telling the Taxman about the company van. It’s only when the P11Ds have been submitted, showing a van where there was previously a car that he’ll even think of raising a query. So what is he looking for?

The Taxman’s internal guidance dwells on the phrase “primarily suited for the conveyance of goods or burdens of any description” – where people are not goods or burden! He’s supposed to examine the dimensions of the load carrying area (both in total and relative to the passenger cab) and the payload. Get your tape measure out! Choose a pick-up where the load space has a greater proportion to the total area than the cab. If the Taxman queries your choice, give him your measurements. Also keep a diary to show that the vehicle is regularly loaded with stock or tools of the trade. A nice photo to illustrate the point would not go amiss.
Choose a pick-up where the load space has a greater proportion to the total area than the cab.

IR Manual: Schedule E para SE23044 and para SE23031

What’s the VATman’s view?

The VATman has a list of eligible pick-ups all of which have two things in common: (1) they have four doors and (2) they are capable of carrying a payload in excess of one tonne. However, the Taxman says he is not bound by the VATman’s view. If the vehicle has been imported it may have been classified as a van for duty purposes. Even if the Taxman rejects what others say you are lending weight to your argument in your letter to him.

zooman said:
the Taxman says he is not bound by the VATman’s view
which is somewhat ironic now they have merged into one revenue collecting entity!

(not contradicting you Zooman, just pointing out the irony)

They are still working separately in all but name. It is actually costing more money to run then less.

esox said:
What the feck do you expect.
Its a frickin blinged-up pickup,not a go-cart.

I know, I know.. But my right foot was trained in misuse by Audi, Mercedes and Subaru !!!

WLeg said:
I know, I know.. But my right foot was trained in misuse by Audi, Mercedes and Subaru !!!

Thats why you have a TD4!, drop that off a building and it would'nt bend.... have they fixed the braking on those yet???

I took a landie out - the 'new' disco (well - newish TD5) - my god - what an agricultural pile of sh*** - OK - might be better off road than many soft roaders - but then why ask 40 K and lob in leather seats, but have no soundproofing or vibraion damping on the engine bay??? Madness I tell you!

i have no problem with proper off roaders - my business partner has a tomb raider style deaf-ender, - it does what it says on the tin... My stepfather has a Nissan N-Trail - ok - its a soft roader, but at least its quiet, smooth and civilized. The Disco isnt either - its not that good off road (like a deaf-ender) - and its not quiet/smooth on road.. Why the hell are they so popular????

it is the expected mode of transport at all trails and shows. Being serious all farms nearly have an account at land-rover and get amazing discounts on anything land-rover also NFU sometimes have giveaway deals on them. And NFU Mutual insure them for next to nothing.

SEM said:
Thats why you have a TD4!, drop that off a building and it would'nt bend.... have they fixed the braking on those yet???

So that's what the big pedal is for then ?

Have only driven it twice myself.

Are there any tax people who can put into plain English the new 2007 tax laws on Double cabs on here??

If I use one for personal use, but "earn" a salery of less than £8.5k and pay for my own fuel, would I still be liable for the £500 / £3k personal useage tax ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom