Bye Bye W211 - Hello Jaguar XF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D-18

SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Portfolio
Like Corned and some others, I have also defected to the Jaguar XF camp -a Saloon for me though rather than Estate.

XF%20Oblique%20Front_zpsfit0ekhs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've had two W211 E Class, both of which suffered some rather disappointing reliability / quality issues which I won't drone on about here (rattling good cars though....). A pity, as the exterior and interior styling of the W211 made it one of the best looking Mercs of all to my eyes. I know some people have had marvellous service from their W211's, but I'm not one of them. I did consider another E Class but I've never been much taken by the interior of recent iterations and the rather more blingy appearance of the exterior. The artificial 'Pleather' seat coverings which seem to feature in the majority of models available on the 2nd-hand market were a real deal-breaker for me. Nae leather, nae use as far as I'm concerned. No so-called luxury car should have seats covered with anything other than leather sourced from a cow.

XF%20Interior%20Front_zpsfjqeaux1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Like Corned, I opted for Jaguar's 'Portfolio' trim specification. As is the norm for end of life models, the manufacturer tends to throw lots of kit at them and consequently mine has most of the goodies fitted as standard. That said, all the toys in the world don't make up for a flawed chassis, but thankfully Jaguar seem to have got the comfort / handling balance quite well sorted. I have the 240 BHP version of the V6 rather than Corned's top trumps 275 BHP model. I think the difference between the two cars is similar to the W211 280 CDI / 320 CDI. Both are pretty damn good but more power never hurts does it? :). I have to say that 240 BHP / 500Nm is plenty to keep me happy.

Corned's quick summary of his XF driving experience is completely accurate and there is nothing with which I'd take issue. I wanted to love this Jaguar and was slightly worried that the ride might be rather too firm at low speeds over pockmarked urban road surfaces. The XF ride is certainly firm(ish) and it is definitely not as plush / 'wafty' as the W211. Definitely a try before you buy type car, but the ride is still composed enough for me. When I bought my W211 Avantgarde, I swapped the OE 17" wheels for 16" rims to get taller sidewalls and a more comfy ride. I suspect I'll upgrade the Jaguar from its OE 19" wheels to a set of 17" for (hopefully) a similar effect.

Things I'll miss from the W211: The wonderful brake 'hold' feature - absolutely loved that. I also liked the cruise control of the W211 which applies the brakes if they are required to maintain the set speed. The XF has this after a fashion, but you have to select either a speed limiter or cruise control. As far as I can work out, you can't have both at the same time.

Things I like about the XF: Far too many to list! A 'Business Class' interior with burr walnut veneer and proper leather seats is a good start - it is a Jaguar after all. The engine / transmission match really is excellent. For me, there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had from simply watching a well-sorted automatic going about its business. In this respect, the 8 speed ZF gearbox is a peach, certainly a big improvement over the Mercedes 7G Clunktronic. The Jag V6 engine is also far quieter and less agricultural than the OM642. Oh, as it doesn't look like a minicab, drunks don't attempt to get into the back when you are stopped at the lights :).

Things I don't like about the XF: The engine is better than the OM642, but it is still a diesel - I couldn't stretch to the petrol V8 engine the car really deserves :(
Thankfully, the completely pointless swivelling air-vent 'performance' can be permanently switched off by the driver, but the LED daytime running lights can only be disabled via Jaguar's equivalent of STAR, so will need a trip to the dealer to sort. It has no temperature gauge - I'd still like one in addition to a dashboard warning message.

I've owned two XF's; the twin turbo diesel 'S' and the supercharged V8 'R' and loved them both, such accomplished cars and even though both wore 20" wheels, they just glided as though they were 18s. I've always felt that the XF was a more natural successor to the W211 than the W212 was.

In fact, a facelift XFR will more than likely replace the Quattroporte.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say the XFR is certainly on my short list after looking at one in the summer! Also considering the 2010 XKR, but I may be well past it by the time I am ready :p

Great car, enjoy :thumb:

In fact, a facelift XFR will more than likely replace the Quattroporte.

You are as bad as me for planning the replacements way ahead. Lol.

I nearly bought a 3.0S estate at launch. Stunning car, beautiful ride quality but back to back with the E61 535d it just didn't feel like progress sorry. The ride was of course softer but that weird gear lever, lack of real ooomf (XFR would fix that) and those vents just turned me off.

The new XF (and XE and F pace), again stunning but even the Tesla has a better finished interior. Come on Jag build some proper Jags!!

Congratulations, stunning looking thing.

You are as bad as me for planning the replacements way ahead. Lol.

I nearly bought a 3.0S estate at launch. Stunning car, beautiful ride quality but back to back with the E61 535d it just didn't feel like progress sorry. The ride was of course softer but that weird gear lever, lack of real ooomf (XFR would fix that) and those vents just turned me off.

The new XF (and XE and F pace), again stunning but even the Tesla has a better finished interior. Come on Jag build some proper Jags!!
I agree totally. The interior of the FPace is awful and Tesla interiors are like 1970 Toyotas.

However remember, the Jag buyer is not as tech mad as a BMW driver or even as a Merc driver. They want sumptuous luxury which the W212 and E61 don't do.

I agree totally. The interior of the FPace is awful and Tesla interiors are like 1970 Toyotas.

However remember, the Jag buyer is not as tech mad as a BMW driver or even as a Merc driver. They want sumptuous luxury which the W212 and E61 don't do.

Yeah but my F11 does!!!!! Lol

The new XF (and XE and F pace), again stunning but even the Tesla has a better finished interior.

You've got to be kidding, the interiors in a BMW are horrible places, devoid of any thought and design, whenever I have the terrible misfortune to even go near my friends new M5 I have to resist the urge to gouge my eyes out with teaspoons.

The exteriors are a big improvement though, but maybe that's because the interior sets such a low threshold.

The W213 interior reminds me very much of the greatest interior ever designed actually; the W211.

They've moved away from the C-Class up towards the S-Class.

You've got to be kidding, the interiors in a BMW are horrible places, devoid of any thought and design, whenever I have the terrible misfortune to even go near my friends new M5 I have to resist the urge to gouge my eyes out with teaspoons.

The exteriors are a big improvement though, but maybe that's because the interior sets such a low threshold.

Wow another adult response..... I'm honoured!!!

I can't fault your choice, my friend. A lovely example - congratulations!

I'd asolutely hate to think that I might have influenced your decision though... :D:D:D

I have to agree with your slight disappointment about the lack of a temperature gauge - I forgot to mention that in my thread. You don't know how long to leave it before giving it the beans. :)

Mine is currently in to address a couple of minor post-acquisition niggles (PDI-type shortcomings rather than car faults), so I'm in their courtesy 2015 2.2D R-Sport saloon. It amply reaffirms the fact that the Portfolio trim is the way to go, and underlines the superiority of the V6 motor. The 4-pot sounds and feels like a taxi by comparison, even though it's no slouch.

Enjoy your lovely motor, mate! :thumb:

It amply reaffirms the fact that the Portfolio trim is the way to go, and underlines the superiority of the V6 motor. The 4-pot sounds and feels like a taxi by comparison, even though it's no slouch.

Keith, I completely agree - When I bought my W211, I went for the E220 initially, but soon swapped it for a V6 - chalk and cheese as far as I was concerned. The car is WAY better with the 6 pot.

Well, this has tuned into quite an interesting thread. Thanks for all the kind comments chaps. Interesting that others feel the way I do about the W211. I've been lurking on some of the Jag forums and what is plain is that I'm certainly not alone in being an ex-MB owner fed up with poor quality and high main dealer costs.

Ride comfort is a very subjective thing with one person's boneshaker ride being silky smooth to another driver. For my tastes, if the XF had the W211's softer ride quality, it would be pretty much spot on and more like the Jaguars I remember from my youth - XJ6 for example. The zenith of Jaguar design for me was the X300 series when they were well screwed together, lovely to look at and simply marvellous to drive. I think Charles Morgan agrees based on his latest purchase - you're a lucky man Charles!

The XF is not perfect by any means, but it feels a more logical progression from the W211 than the modern E Class. Driving round in an E Class is scarcely a hardship, but the XF ticked more boxes for me than any of the more recent MB offerings.

Wow another adult response..... I'm honoured!!!
Stick around, we're not done with you or your BMW yet.

That reminds me, where's that blooming LTD hiding. Probably picking up passengers near George square lollololol

Stick around, we're not done with you or your BMW yet.

That reminds me, where's that blooming LTD hiding. Probably picking up passengers near George square lollololol

Oh I'm here!! Not indicating but I'm here, right in your blind spot. Sorry that is a lie, I'm up yer bumper pretending to be the fuzz!!!

Spot on, absolutely spot on Lawrence.

Ride comfort is a combination of things. Firm springs aren't in themselves a problem. But they do have to be very well damped in order to work properly, otherwise 'firm' becomes a euphemism for 'crashy'. Happily the XF combines 'firm' and 'well damped' pretty much perfectly.

What did it for me with the 211 was one of those Scottish hoons. Although I didn't lack horsepower or torque, a S204 C220CDI Sport and 911 (996) Turbo left me for dead. The chassis couldn't keep up - not the motor. I was grounding out and floating all over the place, so I had to back off.

I very much doubt I'd have the same difficulty now in the XF...

Well must admit I have looked at the XF fully loaded ones are as rare as hens teeth,I might try one next year,but my W221 has just sailed through another MOT and a new set of tyres are being fitted next week so it maybe a few months yet before I make my mind up.

Oh I'm here!! Not indicating but I'm here, right in your blind spot. Sorry that is a lie, I'm up yer bumper pretending to be the fuzz!!!
Hahaha love it lollllll

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom