Bye to you all, leave the star for what it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitonw

Car
Toyota Rav 4 NRG Auto
After 1 year of ongoing troubles with my 2003 C220 CDi Elegance Auto, I thought enough is enough. :mad:

Ditched the Merc and bought me a Toyota. :cool:

Thanks for all the help and advice in the past.

bt

btw, sysop can you delete my account pls.

Good luck BUT you do not have to own a Merc to be on here you know!

Don't go! Stay and convince us of the foolishness of our slavish devotion to the dealer magnets nice Mercedes!

:bannana:

Pics would be good - I kinda like the Rav4's and often wonder if they deliver what they seem to look like they should

I wonder what he'll be defcting too after a whiles ownership of a Rav4????

Either good luck & tarraaa...

Have to say having owned a couple of Jap cars they ARE very good build quality and nothing went wrong.

Both were also great fun (I had a 1.8iS MX5 Mk1 several yrs ago and more recenlty the wife had a new mk 2.5 MX5)

My brother has all sorts of cars as company cars and does a LOT of miles (60k + a year) and out of Jags, Rovers, Saabs, Mercs, etc a Lexus is200 didn't need anything bar servicing (it was also a nice car to drive being auto)

So hope you enjoy the change and keep you wallet in the pocket longer

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with owning a toyota, had ours 18 mths and not a single problem or complaint with it, doesn't do that many miles (done about 15k so far) but completely uneventful.

Personally I prefer a little bit of style and character in my cars, hence my current 211, previous 168, volvo s60, rover 75, spacewagon, xr4x4 etc. All entertaining and characterful, often temperemental (but not the volvo, despite it being chipped and hammerred all the time).

Still, the toyota just works.

Shame the Mercedes had to go, like the others have said, you can still stick around, this has to be the friendliest Merc forum around and many members are no longer Merc owners!

Well I already have a 2001 Rav 4 GX 5-Dr Auto. Bought it for my missus and in all those years it needed only 1 light bulb for the license plate... (and of course the normal maintaince what is more then halve the price I pay for the merc).

I was driving the Rav 4 more and more and it drives BETTER then the Merc so I know VERY well the difference between them!

Don't need any body telling me that the C-Class is better since it isn't. It's horrible to steer since it follows the road and makes driving very tiresome. Also the driving possition isn't good no matter how you adjust the seat / steeringwheel. And all the problems. I was also active on German forums so I know very well the problems.

A small list from June 2k7 when I bought it as approved Mercedes vehilce with 40k miles at Mercedes Direct:

- washer return valve, replaced warrantie
- audio 10 cd player plays up, bought my self a audio 30 aps
- brake pedal week and soft goos all the way down by times. after 3 new master cylinders + 1 new servo. all replaced warrantie. this problem still exist
- tail lights bulbs
- license plate bulbs
- subwoofer replaced warrantie
- all glowplugs replaced by my self, wear and tear sirr (i could only see this when it became colder)
- windscreen wipers mechanics, replaced warrantie
- front brake dics and all pads replaced agreement with seller
- rough idle when cold, still not resolved (getting summer now)
- computer messages about problems who don't exist
- stiff steering, complete steering rack replaced warrantie. after an emergency brake stiff steering is back
- rattles every where, they come and go

This list is not complete.

I drove many Mercedes Benz (cars and trucks) with no problems in the pas and I can only telling that the 'NEW' generation is simply a bad car.

No I'm sorry for my self that I ever bought this vehicle. It's the worst vehicle I owned in my more then 20 years of motoring.

Hey! Why not have the best of both worlds - have both, like me, the Merc for fun and the Toyota when you need to know that you are going to get there!

Ciao...... :)

My wife's on her 2nd Honda Crv - thats 8 years of trouble free motoring - only fault was a new battery - our son kept forgetting to turn off lights - and it eventually gave up..

My sister has a Rav 4 done 150,000 miles in it and still runs like a dream...

My Merc has had to have a new temperture sensor fitted and 2 new headlight bulbs (the last two could have gone on any car)... but it too is a good runner.

If only Honda or Toyota would offer automatic with their Crv / Rav 4 and we would be tempted to change again...

Good luck:bannana:

I can certainly see you have had some problems, but it's a bit harsh to put brake pads, brake discs and lamps in the list of "faults"; these are consumables that every car requires during its lifetime.

As to the tramlining by the wheels, that is a function of the tyre size and suspension geometry, neither of which are vehicle faults but merely characteristics of the C Class in general and the specific vehicle you bought. Whilst I also dislike this behaviour in a vehicle, many people like the direct steering of the C Class (wish the E was a bit more direct:rolleyes: ) and the tyres are spcified by the original vehicle purchaser.

From your last post , you seem a very angry person ...

Thanks for your contributions ..

Bye :)

Amazing that after buying just one (used) example of a car you can instantly dimiss all the current products of a particularly marque as "bad".

You should work in the automotive industry. Your skills at instant assessment of an entire product portfolio would be invaluable.

Personally I think that we are all entitled to our opinions. Bitonw bought an MB , had more problems than deemed acceptable and ditched the car, fair play.

Me, I've had loads of problems and 12 months ago when another fault occured 3 weeks after the warranty expired I was within .0001% of my telerance limit of doing the same. But I've now had 12 trouble free months (you just know I am going to regret this dont you) and am glad that I 'stuck with it', I just love being guided by the 3 pointed star.

Good luck,

:D I tend to be loyal to dealerships rather than brand loyalty. Cars breakdown, that is a fact, it is how these problems get rectified that either humours or frustrates a customer.

John

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, very unlucky in my opinion, but yes you are entitled to your opinion and good luck with whatever you drive in the future.

(wish the E was a bit more direct:rolleyes:

You need to drive mine, got an ongoing unresolved problem where the steering is ultra twitchy at speed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom