Byebye Weston Pier!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splang

MB Enthusiast
Car
W212 E250 Avantgarde
Pier in flames can see all the smoke from my house so I cycled down this morning to rubberneck!

Wow! Biggest fire I've ever seen.

Shame though - I had a barbecue last night - hope the sparks didn't set it off:p

Seriously though - I know that where the pier fire started is the little cafe so I bet someone is going to get a rollicking for leaving a chip fryer on or some such....

Get the Firemen to put some Chestnuts in the embers for you to sell to onlookers..

Did you know that Weston-Super-Mare is a North-West holiday resort:eek: :eek:

I accept this location is 'up north' for some of us but me thinks that the Sky News journalists needs to look at an atlas.

What a terrible fire and I don't suppose it could have happened at a worse time. Rumour has it the fire was detected at about 5-30am but this is from our North-West reporter:rolleyes: so it might have started yesterday or the day before. Thankfully no one was injured and it has now consumed all the flammable material and has been confined to that one end of the pier.

Latest pearl of wisdom is that if the tide was in, they could have used 'fire boats' to fight the fire. I bet all the dozens of fire boat crews based at Weston were really frustrated:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

John

Latest pearl of wisdom is that if the tide was in, they could have used 'fire boats' to fight the fire. I bet all the dozens of fire boat crews based at Weston were really frustrated:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:D LOL.

Did you know that Weston-Super-Mare is a North-West holiday resort:eek: :eek:

John

Perhaps he meant it is a resort frequented by people from the North West?

On BBC R4 they had a fire brigade spokesperson who confirmed she was on scene and she said it was confined to a small part of the pier.

Maybe that's technically true - but from the pictures I've seen it seems this "small part" is the bit that had all the buildings on it!

Looking at the aerial shots I take my hat off to the fire crews that had to run out all the hoses. There are amazing lengths involved and I guess they were getting extra tenders in just to use their hosepipes?

I guess the risks involved in any attempt to have fought that fire would have been plain reckless. Thank goodness the smoke was blown in the seaward direction:devil: :devil:

John

Looking at the aerial shots I take my hat off to the fire crews that had to run out all the hoses. There are amazing lengths involved and I guess they were getting extra tenders in just to use their hosepipes?

I've not see any pictures but I thought piers had water distribution pipesand fire hose reels laid in.

I've not see any pictures but I thought piers had water distribution pipesand fire hose reels laid in.
I can only comment on what I've seen and I doubt one single system wouldf have coped. But...................... It will be interesting to find out what type of internal sprinkler system the bulding had :devil: :(

Regards
John

Time to open up a fast food trailer..

_44868063_roger_f1.jpg

One of the senior fire fighting officer's has stated it started in the western corner near to or at the fish bar and then intimated it could have possibly been a deep fat fryer that caused this devastion.

John

The people who own the pier must be devastated, they only bought it about 6 or 7 months ago and were in the process of spending several millions of pounds updating it. I suppose if the basic structure of the pier is sound, they can rebuild the platform end.

We're getting a larger than usual number of forest fires here, and on a few days the sun's been obscured by the smoke to the extent that it's been like a wet winter's day.
One of the local radio weather reporters pointed out to us that "Smoke isn't a gas like we think it is, but that it's actually comprised of small particles."

Strange that the radio somehow ceased working right after that. It might have been the impact.

The people who own the pier must be devastated, they only bought it about 6 or 7 months ago and were in the process of spending several millions of pounds updating it. I suppose if the basic structure of the pier is sound, they can rebuild the platform end.

Insurance job? :devil:

Shame, fond childhood memories for me. :(

Shame, fond childhood memories for me. :(
I only ever went up there for the fishing :) Great beach for cod.

Me thinks they could have been boiled this morning without even taking them out of the sea.

John

Insurance job? :devil:
Crossed my mind - new owners looking at the credit crunch and thinking...

But I hope not, haven't been to Weston for years* but can remember younger days on the pier it would be even more of a loss if it was done deliberately.

*I lie - picked my daughter up from T4 on the beach last weekend!

I was pondering that they must have some at Avonmouth/Portbury - and did they try to scramble them.

Someone on the radio said that it was a tradegy to parallel the death of Diana the Princess of Wales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom