C 36 amg - 1996

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not offended, it's only money and you could always put it back together again...

It would fit, but IIRC the later M104s integrate with all the sensors and key on the W202 via canbus so you'd need to sort all that out. Add in time and expense, and you'd end up with a devalued no longer original car and I can't really see the point.

The 36 engine makes a big improvement over a 320 engine. It's around a 3-4 sec improvement in the 40-80 increment and the torque feels stronger everywhere in the rev range. Admitted its a bit clattery at idle but boy does it sing when you wring its neck. It has a much harder edged snarl to it , even with the same exhaust system.
These engines were hand built with forged internals and short skirted Mahle Pistons with very thin rings, real race engineering but consequently can vary in the power stakes between 260ish to 285ish BHP if the cam timing has ever been messed with!

I will give one thing to the 320, it's so smooth refined and quiet that if that's your thing keep it stock!

Does that mean the 3.6 isn't as smooth as a 3.2, is it a bit of an animal in comparison?

It's still a straight six, so it's all relative! It's a long stroked racing style piston'd motor that was built as a performance engine which has less importance on refinement and more on power/torque. It used the forged diesel crank which is built like granite, so it's always gonna run different compared to the other M104's. Intake cam is higher lift and the variable timing on it is different too so it's far rawer and sounds much harder under acceleration.

I'm sure Simon will have a much better insight into the facts than my casual observations .

Personal opinion is I could never enjoy the car as much with a 3.2 even though the actual gains in power/torque may not seem much. On the road it's a different animal and would now benefit from an LSD despite the fitment of wider rear tyres.
Needless to say I'm happy to sacrifice a touch of refinement. :)

I had a c36 years ago and it was a terrific car.

The engine is a total cracker but has a different character to the 320, to be fair, unless you're a hooligan the 320 is probably quick enough and in normal driving you may not notice too much differene

Unfortunately being normal isn't one of my strong points.

I guess I'd better try one out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom