C Class 1.6l Petrol vs 2.1l Diesel how much slower?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WantaMerc

Car
BMW
Hi guys

Looking for buy a C class and wanted to ask what the difference would be between a 1.6l Petrol vs 2.1l Diesel?

The specs are:

1.6l - 2012 C180

2.1 - 2011 C200 or C220 or C250 (have seen 3)

I have seen a 1.6l Petrol under an "AMG Sports Plus" package which I prefer the interior of or a 2.1l Diesel under an "AMG Sports" package which has more of a standard interior. Both are priced the same!

Thanks

Last edited:
Best engine of the bunch is C350cdi but failing that c200cdi then remap it.

There is the option of C250 petrol which is a 1.8.

But first ask yourself how much mileage you'll be doing as that will tell you whether you go for diesel or petrol. The other thing to consider is also diesels engines are more complicated engines and are expensive to repair.

Saying all that, the best advice is just go and test drive them.

Dont go for 1.6, get the 1.8 engine c180. Its smooth and powerful at the same time. MPG is also great, you can JUST about scrape 50 MPG at around 50 mph and in city you get around 38-40 if driven well with stop/start.

I think the 1.6 and 1.8 180's have the same power and torque and performance, but the more modern 1.6's have lower official emissions and mpg.

In my brief foray into Diesel powered vehicles , the W124 with its simple , normally aspirated engine was a good car ; the C270 was nothing but trouble with expensive injector failure , leaking high pressure fuel lines , glow plugs , faulty thermostat and block heater , swirl flaps and latterly I've heard from the new owner that it was off the road with a blown turbo . I bought the car on 115K , kept it for two years during which I had all that trouble wiping out the fuel savings , and parted with it somewhere north of 150k . A friend with a C320CDI also is off the road with a blown turbo . I will never have another modern Mercedes diesel .

The Diesel Golf her ladyship had was a good car and my sister is now enjoying it ( 3rd owner within our family as it was originally my other sister's ) .

I'm back with reliable petrol cars .

I have a feeling the introduction of the 1.6 petrol occurred around the same time as the the 2011-2012 interior facelift along with quite a few other electrical gismos such as the Becker sat nav etc . The previous interior was the weakest spot of the W204 C class but this improvement raised it to E class levels. You may also get a 7 speed auto box rather than the 5 speed. I would go for the later car unless you are doing prodigious mileages

We have a 2010 1.6 komp sport, before driving it i had the thought going around my head that it is going to be underpowered for the sie of car.
Well it instatly proved me wromg.
Its a good few years since i last drove a small petrol engined car and they have obviously come a long way in that time.
ok, no it wont set the rear tyres alight or wake the neighbours up in the morning like a 63 will but in all honesty with the amount of traffic on our congested roads its more than capable of keeping up with traffic.

We looked for petrol simply because the car wouldnt be doing much mileage and not regretted it for a second.
The deisel is an obvious choice if the mileage warrants it.

I have a C180K W204 which has the 1.6 engine with supercharger. While I'm sure it doesn't have the torque of a diesel you wouldn't believe from the way it drives that it's only a 1.6 engine. It's all relative of course 0-60 in 9 secs is not remotely a fast car by modern standards but it never seems underpowered on hills like my old 2 litre 190E used to. I've never had a turbo or supercharged anything before but now I'm completely sold on the way they produce a decent amount of torque right from idle revs upwards. And the fuel economy is outstanding.

Both my sons have diesels and they both remark how much quieter and more civilised my petrol engine is.

Best engine of the bunch is C350cdi but failing that c200cdi then remap it.

have to agree

I've just gone from a C220 CDI to a C350 CDI and loving the V6 engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom