C-Class 2000 safety problem:autobox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tea drinker

You're going to find this hard to believe... We were on holiday last week. Stopped the car poured out a SMALL cup of tea. Less than 100ml spilt by accident over the auto selector mechanism ie the gear lever. Mopped it up quicky. All switches appeared to be working. Set off on narrow main road. A big mistake.
At this point I realised that the box would not shift up and that we were stuck in a low gear. Had to drive for 3 miles before we could stop safely. When I tried to stop the car I found that it was impossible to move the gear level out of Drive without stopping the engine!!

Car recoverd to Mercedes main dealer, who said that he had had a similar problem booked in earlier in the week!! Result: new transmission selector lever mechanism and new full set of switches.

COST OF ONE SMALL CUP OF TEA: £842 ....

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM BEFORE? IF SO PLEASE CONTACT ME! I'm preparing my letter for Mrcedes Benz UK.

This has got to be a design fault. I think earlier versions of this car had a rod operated system, so fluid ingress would not be a problem

Mine has the electronic system that allows intermediate gears to be selected by pushing the lever from side to side. On the new model C-class there is a gaiter protecting this mechanism -that's correct isn't it?

Mine has the old style open gate, which acts as a funnel, for tea or anything else... I shudder to think what would have happened if we had been travelling at motorway speeds and the front passenger had spilt something. If you know anyone with a similar car please pass on the warning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom