C Class 2014 onwards (Brakes & Tyres)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
Had my 2016 250d 205 AMG line estate serviced last week. Car has done 14k mixed driving, ave 47.8 mpg for the year. Conti 5 run flats at 250KPa (19"rims) 6mm left front and back. No report on pad or disks on the A service report.
Farmerboy

Just a quick update from me.

Rear pads and discs replaced at 16k, dash indicator on, at my cost.
Front pads and discs replaced at 19k under goodwill.

I am challenging why one under goodwill and the other not. I think the logic is that there was a known issue with the fronts per a technician at the dealership.

Last edited:
Tyres and front discs and pads can wear after low mileage and as others said it is down to driving conditions and driving style etc, BUT low-mileage wear on rear discs or pads is very rare - these can usually last for a very long time as they really do not work that hard. In fact on some of the cars which I owned for several years the rear pads were never replaced from new.

Tyres and front discs and pads can wear after low mileage and as others said it is down to driving conditions and driving style etc, BUT low-mileage wear on rear discs or pads is very rare - these can usually last for a very long time as they really do not work that hard. In fact on some of the cars which I owned for several years the rear pads were never replaced from new.

I have experience of rear pads wearing before fronts, and on my current car the wear looks similar. Ideally fronts and rears should wear at the same rate. Why do you state the rears dont work very hard. They stop the same car from the same speed? More weight transfer to the front possibly but the fronts have bigger brakes to compensate.

My rears were replaced at a little over 19k (dashboard warning on) before the fronts replaced 3 months later (no warning but done under goodwill, were close to limit and according to the dealership had a known issue with noise). Interesting enough, the issue with noise I had was from the rears not front and confirmed by an independent prior to any brake replacements.

My rears were replaced at a little over 19k (dashboard warning on) before the fronts replaced 3 months later (no warning but done under goodwill, were close to limit and according to the dealership had a known issue with noise). Interesting enough, the issue with noise I had was from the rears not front and confirmed by an independent prior to any brake replacements.

Were the rears replaced due to pads/discs wear, or due to excessive noise?

Were the rears replaced due to pads/discs wear, or due to excessive noise?

Both as far as I am concerned as I had been complaining of noise from the rears since 2 months of the vehicle being brand new. However, had to be replaced due to wear as well (dashboard and visual indication).

I have a sneaky suspicion that modern ESP systems are causing rear brakes wear.... I am pretty sure that with the cars I ran to high mileage in the past the rears would last through 2 or 3 sets of fronts...

I have a sneaky suspicion that modern ESP systems are causing rear brakes wear.... I am pretty sure that with the cars I ran to high mileage in the past the rears would last through 2 or 3 sets of fronts...

This was a possible explanation the technicians at the dealership gave me too. The brakes move closer to the wheels if the windscreen wipers are on as the braking system assumes it is raining and therefore need to brake quicker.

I think it's more than moving the pads closer. When the wipers are on, the brakes are actually applied lightly every so often to dry the discs.

With good handling and stopping power something has to give, this was mentioned to me on a Mercedes's course back in the 90s

With regards to a w204 I have replaced sports pack discs and pads on the front at 17k-25k I have now started to fit brembo discs and pads instead of oe and have noticed a considerable improvement in lifespan.

I'd imagine nothing has changed with the w205, soft disc compound and/or a hard pad compound.

With regards to a w204 I have replaced sports pack discs and pads on the front at 17k-25k I have now started to fit brembo discs and pads instead of oe and have noticed a considerable improvement in lifespan.

I'd imagine nothing has changed with the w205, soft disc compound and/or a hard pad compound.

Many thanks for this advice. I assume I could order these myself and have a Mercedes technician fit them as and when the time comes to replace? I know I could get an independent to do so but ideally whilst the car is still relatively new, I'd like to keep all history with Merc.

I doubt mercedes will fit inferior parts for you, any competent mechanic should be able to change your brakes.

I doubt mercedes will fit inferior parts for you, any competent mechanic should be able to change your brakes.

Why do you describe these as inferior when they seem to have better life expectancy?

That's how Mercedes would refer to them, what I mean is if you supply a set of brembo pads to a Mercedes garage to fit they probably won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom