c class 202 cluster failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hash

Car
Audi A8 08 with lots of toys & volvo XC90
hi all my fathers 1996 w202 cluster has devloped a fault, clock not working various bulbs out, dealer says it's dead and wants £850 to replace :mad:

anybody know where we can get it repaired?

if we swap it for a second hand unit i assume, it needs to be coded as well as the mileage corrected.

thanks

kenny

For a '96 car I would be looking for a decent used one.

Try a PM to Ricky (aka V12) - see the classifieds for details?

IIRC you can get the mileage adjusted if it bothers you.

Cheers :)

Will

VDO clusters / dash pods in BMWs are coded with the VIN number. The cluster "talks" to the main ECU and verifies that the cluster has not been swapped. If that check fails, an "TAMPER" warning light comes on that cannot be switched off - you need a new cluster.

I don't know about MB clusters, but they are also by VDO. Therefore, I would suggest you check out the process for using a second-hand cluster very carefully before you proceed.

It may be that you can just swap them and get the mileage adjusted by those helpful people on ebay. But it may not be that easy. Somebody here may be able to advise.

PHilip

From other discussions you can swap from the same year but I couldnt say put the 96 cluster in my 95. Other than that It would be plug in and adjust the mileage accordingly as far as I am aware.

A brand new cluster is about £350 at the parts counter, so £850 must include labour.

If you plug in a cluster from the wrong model then it may have problems, there are three major types of cluster for the w202, very early 1993-1995, later 1995-1997 and then the facelift 1997-2000. Everything else is a variation on those basic models. If you try to use a cluster from a 1998 model on a 1996 car then the speedo, rpm, fuel and a few other gauges might work, but not much else will.

I tried out W210 and W208 facelift clusters in my (MY99) car, they seemed to work ok with the exception of the fuel gauge on the W210.

I recommend you get a brand new cluster, they need to be coded by the stealership to work in a specific car - engine capacity, fuel tank capacity, mileage, ASSYST data and other variables need to be taken from one unit and blasted into the other.

Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom