C-Class - 202. Problems after fitting new Wiper Motor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I needed a new wiper motor for my S202.
I had dismantled, so thought I'd go the quickest route to getting a replacement motor which turned out to be buying and collecting one of THESE - sameday and local - handy.

The part number of the old motor is: A 202 820 2408.

On the EuroCarParts site, there were half a dozen motors that matched my car registration details so I called their local branch to confirm stock and check which motor would work best.
"Only one of them will work on your car" I was told. So I collected and fitted that afternoon.

The wiper does indeed work, but misbehaves.

1: Doesn't always park in the correct position.
2: On the intermittent setting the wiper will wipe randomly from 1 to 5 times.

I put the wiper back in the parked position after fitting the motor so assumed all would be well.

So, either the part is incompatible or there is something else amiss.

Any ideas, please?

TIA.

Paul.

Last edited:
It's not the motor it's the inner mechanised parts in the arm that need greasing up and cleaned

Do a search on here you will find a howto I think

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

It's not the motor it's the inner mechanised parts in the arm that need greasing up and cleaned

Do a search on here you will find a howto I think

Cleaning and re-greasing (done this before as maintenance on my 210) was the first thing I did when the wiper stopped working, but to no avail, so I then decided on the new motor.

I could have had an original motor for around the same price from a seller on ebay but delivery wasn't available until the 4th of January.

The wiper control stick behind steering wheel is also a known problem the can go faulty and need replacing

Just a thought

I needed a new wiper motor for my S202.
I had dismantled, so thought I'd go the quickest route to getting a replacement motor which turned out to be buying and collecting one of THESE - sameday and local - handy.

The part number of the old motor is: A 202 820 2408.

On the EuroCarParts site, there were half a dozen motors that matched my car registration details so I called their local branch to confirm stock and check which motor would work best.
"Only one of them will work on your car" I was told. So I collected and fitted that afternoon.

The wiper does indeed work, but misbehaves.

1: Doesn't always park in the correct position.
2: On the intermittent setting the wiper will wipe randomly from 1 to 5 times.

I put the wiper back in the parked position after fitting the motor so assumed all would be well.

So, either the part is incompatible or there is something else amiss.

Any ideas, please?

TIA.

Paul.

What year is the car?

Did you park the motor first, before you fitted it to the mechanism as described in post #15 here… http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/47456-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen.html

Did you dismantle the wiper hub on the mechanism at any time? … to do so you would have had to remove Nut 1 (Nut 1 = ring spanner) in picture below.

There is an outside chance that your problem is the wiper relay, a faulty relay would produce the symptoms that you described at 1 & 2 above.

Dec

9719d1203019965-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen-c.jpg

Failure to park and continued wiping has to be the STOP switch in the motor gearbox.

The relay gives a GO pulse then the STOP switch takes over until it is opened by being at the STOP position.
It sounds like yours isn't breaking the power when it should.

Hi,
I think Dec has hit the nail on the head, I think you need to disconnect the motor mechanically and run the motor and park it from the stalk, then reconnect mechanically with the mechanism in the parked position.

It's most likely the wrong motor for the car ECP are hopeless at matching the correct part to the VIN when there is more than one option. Try GSF if you don't want to go down the genuine MB route. But my money is on the wrong part in the first place :thumb:

Many Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at this tomorrow. Car is a 2001. :thumb:

Hi,
Though there are more than one wiper motor for the 202 they have different wiring, one has a loom and connector from the motor and the other has a connector actually on it, this means the wrong motor can,t be connected up.

With limited time, I had another look at the wiper motor set up today.

The picture below shows the unit parked, but that's not to say it hadn't moved during the removal process.

202WiperParked.jpg

There is now an improvement. It seems that failure to run the motor (as advised by Dec) before connecting to the wiper mechanism was the cause of the malfunctions (well most of them).

The videos below show the wiper working ok apart from the final parking which seems to reach the bottom of the screen and then rise up again by 40-50mm before coming to rest.
I can't remember if this was the case before the unit failed, but I'm not sure how I'd be able to fix the problem in any case.
I haven't put everything back together yet (bending over a car these days isn't the fun it used to be) but I think I'll have to settle for the wiper operation as it is.

Please excuse the state of my usually tidy garage. Building works for the last 6-7 weeks...

[YOUTUBE]uzRIGiCLiBA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Pie_QLnC8jc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7kQp9D03nrQ[/YOUTUBE]

That’s bang on in your photo, that’s where it should be, it’s the alignment mark at Nut 2 that must be out of alignment.

If you want to fix it now do as below OR you can fix it another day when the weather is better.

-Ensure the motor is parked
-Remove short motor arm at Nut 2 as in bottom picture
-Replace short motor arm so as to align it with the V mark and hold with vice/mole grips to counter the turning force of your spanner when tightening Nut 2. Its not easy to get it bang on.

9720d1203020181-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen-b1.jpg
9721d1203020265-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen-b2.jpg

Note the V mark at the top of the Red arrow, the short motor arm should be in line with the line under the V mark as illustrated below.

9718d1203019908-c-class-180-93-wipers-park-mid-screen-.jpg

Thanks for going to the trouble with the video and picture… that really explains it all.

Dec

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the info, Dec. I'll make that my first job of the day tomorrow and report back. :thumb:

Sorry for the delay in posting.
My laptop screen had broken and although I was able to post, I couldn't access the images I had taken.
Also, this is my second posting as internet explorer froze towards the end of my original post. :(

I dismantled once again to find the "V" mark (as suggested by Dec) to be out-of-line. (Thanks to young Ringway for applying the grease - I did say to "Grease everything to death", though.) :D

4thJanuary2012006V.jpg

I found that adjusting to the "V" mark was easier by inserting a hefty old screwdriver into a slot in the cast aluminium body.
There are several slots to choose from, but keep towards the bolt end to avoid distorting the arm. This held the arm firmly in place.

4thJanuary2012027.jpg

After aligning to the "V" the wiper parked as shown below.

4thJanuary2012050.jpg

I would think that this is the correct position.
However, whilst tinkering, I discovered that a 1mm adjustment to the "V" equated to a 10mm difference in the park position.
So, if desired, the wiper could be parked out of view by adjusting to a mm or two below the "V" without affecting the sweep to the opposite side of the screen.

NB: Initially, I saw that the "V" was out of line, adjusted and re-assembled, only to find that the wiper parked in the same (incorrect) position. :doh:
To ensure the correct park position, as Dec says, the motor must be disconnected and allowed to perform a full cycle before the "V" alignment is made. `

Thanks for the guidance, Dec. :thumb:

Last edited:
Good idea with the screwdriver Paul, that’s a good illustration of the V mark, much clearer view of it than in my picture, never easy to get the blade parked so as its bang on, thanks for the feed back.

The way to tell if your wiper blade is parked exactly where it should be is to look at the pattern that the blade makes when it sweeps the screen, as illustrated below, both sides of the windscreen should be clean symmetrically so as to sweep the same distance from the bottom of the glass

Dec

Picture source… Technical Curiosities: Mercedes? Monoblade Wiper ? Spannerhead

Mercedes_Monoblade_3.jpg

It's most likely the wrong motor for the car ECP are hopeless at matching the correct part to the VIN when there is more than one option. Try GSF if you don't want to go down the genuine MB route. But my money is on the wrong part in the first place :thumb:

How true.

I've not been up to spending time bent over a car for a while but the wiper was driving me and young Ringway to distraction, so I went and got a used unit (from a 99T W210) and it works and parks perfectly.

The unit from Euro Car Parts is not the correct part, but they still sell it if anyone else has time and money to waste and fancies some fun and games with a wiper motor. :rolleyes: LINK.

How true.

I've not been up to spending time bent over a car for a while but the wiper was driving me and young Ringway to distraction, so I went and got a used unit (from a 99T W210) and it works and parks perfectly.

The unit from Euro Car Parts is not the correct part, but they still sell it if anyone else has time and money to waste and fancies some fun and games with a wiper motor. :rolleyes: LINK.

I've just stopped using them completely, my time is more valuable than having to deal with a company like this, they just get it wrong so many times, time after time.

The old sayings are true "things are cheap for a reason" and " The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Glad you got it sorted in the end though mate :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom