C Class 220cdi 2008 service costs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteTheOldGit

Car
Merc C200 AMG 2014 W205
Hi guys
I'm now decided on an C Class 220 cdi Sport w204. What I'm now worried about after scrolling through the forum is the servicing costs, some in here have been quoted £900.00 for a B service. I'm now having second thoughts, my mileage is about 6000 a year, are they long life or 12 month service intervals. Seems excessive £900 for a service. I drove one on Saturday and was quite taken with the model but having read about the service costs I'm now having second thoughts, I appreciate that it's a prestige marque but it still comes across as a bit excessive. On another note is the sport button on the dash suspension and gearbox tweaks. It seemed when I engaged the button the suspension seemed very crashy over any uneven road service. Also is the standard audio system any good, the present business unit on my BMW 1 series is ansolutely dreadfull. Should I be looking for any of the audio upgrades , don't want to be caught out again.

Servicing is annual now, and alternate A & B, plus "additional work". You should be able to get an A sevice for around £200 and B for around £300 but it might take a bit of shopping around and playing dealers off against each other. Or you could use an indie, of course.

It's the "additional work" that bumps ip the cost. The £900 or so bills you hear about only really happen at 4yrs old when the ATF needs changing. This is a one-off job and costs a couple of hundred. At the same time the air and fuel filters need changing, and the brake fluid needs doing every 2yrs (so you'll never get £300 for a B service as it will always need brake fluid at the same time).

What you could do is to look at MB ServiceCare package and buy that for a couple of years so this should take care of the expensive 4yr service. Get them to confirm they will to the ATF - it should be included I've never seen it clarified that it is.

It's the "additional work" that bumps ip the cost. The £900 or so bills you hear about only really happen at 4yrs old when the ATF needs changing. This is a one-off job and costs a couple of hundred.
Stealers quoted me £260 with a discount for the ATF on W203 - couple of indys quoted me £160....

Servicing is annual now, and alternate A & B, plus "additional work". You should be able to get an A sevice for around £200 and B for around £300 but it might take a bit of shopping around and playing dealers off against each other. Or you could use an indie, of course.

It's the "additional work" that bumps ip the cost. The £900 or so bills you hear about only really happen at 4yrs old when the ATF needs changing. This is a one-off job and costs a couple of hundred. At the same time the air and fuel filters need changing, and the brake fluid needs doing every 2yrs (so you'll never get £300 for a B service as it will always need brake fluid at the same time).

What you could do is to look at MB ServiceCare package and buy that for a couple of years so this should take care of the expensive 4yr service. Get them to confirm they will to the ATF - it should be included I've never seen it clarified that it is.
Hello Rory - yes my C-Class ATF was done as part of the service care package at a recent 'B' service at Harrogate MB - In fact I checked they would carry this out for sure,before I committed to the plan.I was advised that had I not,then the total service charge would have been closer to £700 !!!!!

Hello Rory - yes my C-Class ATF was done as part of the service care package at a recent 'B' service at Harrogate MB - In fact I checked they would carry this out for sure,before I committed to the plan.I was advised that had I not,then the total service charge would have been closer to £700 !!!!!

Thanks for that. The ATF change alone is about the same as year's payments on the plan so if you time it right it can be a very good deal.

The dealer insisted my car needing doing, then, when they discovered I had the old plan, ServicePlus, they suddenly found it didn't need doing. They were correct, but I think it's most unlikely they'd have said so if I'd been paying cash and they do chop and change the schedules now and again.

As Rory said - ATF, Air filter, Fuel filter, and (second) brake fluid change all done at 4 years (for average mileage cars). The cabin filter however, is luckily included in the B-Service cost. So basically the B-Service at 4 years including all the additional items will buy you some peace of mine for two years until the next B-Service+brake fluid change (i.e. you'll only have a 'small' £200 oil service in between).

The brake discs and pads are obviously still an unknown quantity, i.e. it can happen at different intervals.

And the best time to get a Service Plan is just before that 4-years B-Service!

Hi guys
I'm now decided on an C Class 220 cdi Sport w204. What I'm now worried about after scrolling through the forum is the servicing costs, some in here have been quoted £900.00 for a B service. I'm now having second thoughts, my mileage is about 6000 a year, are they long life or 12 month service intervals. Seems excessive £900 for a service. I drove one on Saturday and was quite taken with the model but having read about the service costs I'm now having second thoughts, I appreciate that it's a prestige marque but it still comes across as a bit excessive. On another note is the sport button on the dash suspension and gearbox tweaks. It seemed when I engaged the button the suspension seemed very crashy over any uneven road service. Also is the standard audio system any good, the present business unit on my BMW 1 series is ansolutely dreadfull. Should I be looking for any of the audio upgrades , don't want to be caught out again.

Whereabouts are you located?
You might find a local indy on this forum that comes recommended.
Once out of the guarantee period I would always go the indy route.

As others have said, the really big bills are when "extra items" are involved. BTW, ATF changes aren't always applicable & you can talk a main dealer down to under £150 of you try hard enough :)

The main dealers get you thinking about £600 or 700 or 900 for a service so that when they rip you off at 200 quid for an oil and filter change you come out thinking that you have done well :)

Buy the car and find a decent indi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom