C Class Airmatic - is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommo60

Car
E300 Hybrid AMG Sport
I'd really like to know anything about the Airmatic option on the C Class. I'm looking at an AMG line and I'm attracted to the option to soften the ride as surgut ban roads fully of potholes and speed bumps is jarring my fillings.....

Airmatic for AMGs won't make the ride less harsh. Smaller wheels do that.

My CLS even in Comfort is still a harsh ride compared to say, Avantgarde spec.

Personally I consider Airmatic suspension one of the best optional extras I added to my C300h... and apart from privacy glass and automatic perfume dispenser I think I got them all.

If you set the Agility Control in Confort mode it will make the ride much more comfortable and relaxing (even on the "AMG" model), whereas in Sport mode it will turn it into a completely different kind of animal, much more aggressive and fun to drive.

Believe me, it is like having two different cars... as I realised myself when I entered a roundabout at a relatively high speed thinking that my car was still in Sport mode even if actually it was in Comfort. I will spare you the details, as nothing serious really happened, but it was a long time ago and I have learned my lesson.

I opted for it as well, softer in comfort than my previous sport plus saloon W204, but you will still feel the potholes etc as 18" wheels don't help, W205 great in sport mode, like a real sports car. Best other options in my opinion are go for an AMG Line Estate, in premier plus with privacy glass, the estates look so much better than the saloon.

Airmatic for AMGs won't make the ride less harsh. Smaller wheels do that.

My CLS even in Comfort is still a harsh ride compared to say, Avantgarde spec.

I only get a 'harsh' ride in Sport II.

There is definitely a pronounced difference in ride compliance between "Comfort" and "Sport I/II".

Bit different to those comments above as I've got a C350e so it was mandatory and a bit heavier- but I like it, and the difference between settings is very apparent. For gentle cruising comfort is nice and soft (considerably more comfortable than the 3 Series M Sport I had before). In Sport/Sport+, it tightens up a treat (as does the steering rack on my car).
Granted, I've not done much aggressive driving as I took delivery mid November and the conditions haven't been that favourable!
I have 18" wheels as well, and as I say, still way more comfortable than the outgoing 3 Series on steel springs.

The main advantage of air suspension is around the self-levelling characteristics it provides. There's no inherent attribute that improves ride comfort - the change in feel from the buttons is purely limited to the dampers.

I'd really like to know anything about the Airmatic option on the C Class. I'm looking at an AMG line and I'm attracted to the option to soften the ride as surgut ban roads fully of potholes and speed bumps is jarring my fillings.....

My previous vehicle was an SUV which was quite a soft ride but airmatic is in a different class, I'm loving it on my C350e albeit a mandatory choice it feels great - a smooth cushioned ride and it goes up/down with the change in settings. Your are also able to rise up at the push of a switch which I find useful on uneven ground, snowy conditions and even at the drive through hand car wash to give better clearance for cleaning etc.

Works well when cruising but not so well in town where pot holes or rough surfaces still feel harsh. If money is tight I have found the intelligent lights a great option plus the package with the sunroof and command. Initially I took the command option for the burmeister option and wasn't really wanting the sunroof and command. But wouldn't be without them now. The burmeister is OK but not a game changer in my ears view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom