C class as a daily hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkJunedd

Car
98 CLK320 Sport
I will (hopefully) be starting a new job in a month or so and as much as I love the CLK ,it will be a little thirsty for a 90 mile round trip every day so i've been looking at C class (2000 MY on) as a potential daily driver/ commute car. For economy reasons obviuosly a 220d or 270d would be best but are the 2 litre petrols any good? What sort of mpg to expect? I would prefer an auto tbh but i've seen a few 6 speed manuals on fleabay, are these a strong box or is there any other weaknesses i should be aware of ? Ta.

They are good motors and can do silly mileage if maintained properly. Get an auto, you get better manual boxes on Russian tractors.

On a run my 220CDI will do 50+ with ease, that is with 120k/11 years under it's belt.

If you are buying a pre 2004 car, look out for rust....around all arch's, door bottoms, dog legs and boot.

Personally I don't like driving autos so have always gone for manual. I had a 1999 W202 C200 petrol and while I agree that the manual box wasn't up to the standard of the BMWs and Audi that I've driven, it gave me no problems at all and happily covered over 130k miles in 4 years. I can't recall the exact average consumption but it was somewhere in the high 30s on about 65% A roads and m'ways.

Avoid an early W203 like the plague.

I think your comment is a bit heavy, Karl. My 2001 S203 C270 was our first ever MB, bought 7 years old, 67k miles, 1 owner and full MB service history for £6k (including 1 year full warranty and having just been B serviced by MB). OK, we had some paint bubbling along the bottom of the offside doors and rust appearing on the small body pieces at the front of the rear wheel arches. Mechanically, the MAF failed quite soon, but was replaced under warranty. The front suspension was clunky, so I had the rose joints and ARB bushes done, then had to have new front discs and pads. Thermostat failed, and I also chose to have the ATF and filter changed. In 3 1/2 years ownership, about 20k miles, it needed 1 A service that cost about £180, gave 45mpg average, was smooth and comfortable and very relaxing to drive on both short and long journeys. It was also reliable - started first time every time. I was actually intending to keep it longer, but S204 prices came down quicker than I expected (or MB Ashford underpriced the car I bought!).

FWIW, before I bought the s203 I looked up the road tests from when the 203 first came out. They all reckoned the best engine was the 270 diesel, and I see no reason to disagree!

They all reckoned the best engine was the 270 diesel, and I see no reason to disagree!

Gutsy and economical, if a little laggy, but a relaxed mile eater. I've had c. 53mpg indicated on a mostly motorway journey, keeping the speed to 70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom