C Class Avantgarde suspension. Advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NEOPARDY

Car
MERCEDES C 270CDI
Having recently purchased an 04/05 C Class 270CDI saloon, I have a query with the stiff ride. The model is an Avantgard and from research , I am led to believe that it has a more sporty suspension set-up than the Elegance.
Is this just simply a matter of stiffer , lower shockers and springs, or does it go beyond that? :dk:
I have 17" alloys, which I will probably change to 16" soon, but my question is - can I buy a set of Elegance shocks and springs and expect a softer ride?
I bought the car as a retirement treat, and am delighted with it, but these days I am more interested in a cosseting ride than roadholding abilities.
Can anyone advise me?
Thanking you advance, arthur.

Springs and shocks are indeed shorter and stiffer. Find the VIN of a similar 270CDI saloon, but in classic or elegance trim and tell that VIN to the spare parts department.

You may also want to visit a breaker for the shocks. Springs are best new.

Does your C class have the Sports Pack option? i.e. are the front discs cross-drilled? If so 16" alloys will not fit as they will contact the brake calipers.
Changing the springs and shock absorbers for those spec'd for the elegance will give a more compliant ride. I'm not sure if the ARBs are a different spec though?
If you do decide to swap the springs I would strongly recommend you speak with the dealer parts dept as springs are coded to the options spec'd on the car. It's not a straight forward as it appears.

I have an Avantgarde estate - 2004/5 model. I can only agree with the OP that the ride is stiff/hard. I also have a C55 and the Avantgarde feels harder than the C55 on Country lanes. I put some of this down to the seats being very hard in the Avantgarde.

Thankyou for all the replys - useful and informative. I had wondered about the size of the brake calipers - the actual brake pad 'holder' seems much bigger than some c class I've noticed, so maybe 16" wheels will not fit.....
Thanks again to all.

Check the tyre pressures, I almost got rid of my C320 because of the poor and harsh ride, my garage had set the pressures at 38psi, once set at 33psi things were significantly better.

I take issue with the advice to get replacement dampers from a breakers. Suspension components must be matched and in good order for safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom