C Class (C63/S204) Estate - Fit bike in boot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OhGod

Car
Nissan Stagea
TL;DR
Can a C63 AMG Estate (W/S204) take a single road/mountain bike in the boot, with rear seats down, and both bike wheels left on?

Longer version. Thinking of swapping from an ageing Nissan Stagea (hearse-like) to a C63 AMG Estate, and had always assumed that getting a bike into the back of any estate type car would be a given. Recently realised that the C63 is actually quite small for an estate car, which started some frantic searching with mixed results. I've found some schematic type images which, if correct, suggest it should fit. However other results from forums, etc, show most people fitting roof racks/tow bars to take bikes, or removing wheels and performing various contortions to get it to fit, which has me worried!

The E63 would of course take one no problem, but they seem more expensive and/or older for my budget, and other than the bike there's not much lugging I need to do. Also, they seem to lack that exhaust note!

So can anyone categorically state they can fit a (average sized) road/mountain bike in the boot of a C63 Estate, rear seats down, with both wheels left on?

Cheers.

That's if the seats go down (being an estate I assume they would) but on my saloon I was surprised that they don't!

The estate seats are split fold, but you have to fold the smaller offside piece before you fold the larger nearside piece as the load cover comes down with the larger piece.

Haven't tried a bike in the back of mine, but I'm pretty sure you could easily fit one. I easily fitted 1.8m pieces of wood the other day.

ash59fifty-uk said:
That's if the seats go down (being an estate I assume they would) but on my saloon I was surprised that they don't!

Are you sure? The rear seats go down in my saloon C63, the levers are in the boot!

amiller81 said:
Are you sure? The rear seats go down in my saloon C63, the levers are in the boot!

Last time I checked was at the train station car park was in a rush, I looked for the usual pins at the top behind but couldn't find any

Where abouts are they? Would be handy if they did drop down!

It would fit in the back of 124 Estate with the seats down, the wheels on and the rest of Team Sky in attendance. I lost an entire African Village in there. Entire tool-kits have disappeared, never to be seen again.

Struggling to understand the question....

Slap me down, by all means, but

Why not remove the front wheel? Slipping off the front wheel is a routine process that every hatchback owner learns.

Drop, or remove, the seat post, and maybe loosen the front forks and a bike will fit in a Polo sized hatchback, as shown in this video:
https://youtu.be/duVdjPwylok

I used to fit TWO bikes into the back of my BMW 335i Coupe (not estate), with the two rear seat backs popped forward. (OK, it was tight and they were only road bikes rather than mtb's, but it could be done)

On the subject of folding back seats in Saloons and Coupes (not Estates), the general rule for BMW and Mercedes is that they can be ordered from new, but aren't standard.

If you do want to keep both wheels on, my suspicion is that it will only just fit in a C Class, whereas even a large 29er will go into the back of an E Class Estate without any adjustment.

Last edited:
TL;DR
Can a C63 AMG Estate (W/S204) take a single road/mountain bike in the boot, with rear seats down, and both bike wheels left on?

Longer version. Thinking of swapping from an ageing Nissan Stagea (hearse-like) to a C63 AMG Estate, and had always assumed that getting a bike into the back of any estate type car would be a given. Recently realised that the C63 is actually quite small for an estate car, which started some frantic searching with mixed results. I've found some schematic type images which, if correct, suggest it should fit. However other results from forums, etc, show most people fitting roof racks/tow bars to take bikes, or removing wheels and performing various contortions to get it to fit, which has me worried!

The E63 would of course take one no problem, but they seem more expensive and/or older for my budget, and other than the bike there's not much lugging I need to do. Also, they seem to lack that exhaust note!

So can anyone categorically state they can fit a (average sized) road/mountain bike in the boot of a C63 Estate, rear seats down, with both wheels left on?

Cheers.

Sounds like you're not planning to go the tow bar route anyway, but worth noting that you can't legally fit a tow bar to a C63 (even if you (personally) will never use it for towing) due to it not being type approved.

No tow bar on a C63 ?

Sounds like you're not planning to go the tow bar route anyway, but worth noting that you can't legally fit a tow bar to a C63 (even if you (personally) will never use it for towing) due to it not being type approved.

Interesting point, not that I would ever tow (I prefer the roof), what's the issue? Something specific to the C63 engine output and max speed, presumably? Horse boxes yawing at speeds over 155mph?

As a general rule of thumb I always put bikes inside, for reasons of security and damage, and only reluctantly put them on the roof, and never on the back (which can be a real faff)

Last edited:
...I easily fitted 1.8m pieces of wood the other day.
Sounds good. ~1.8m fits the diagram I had seen, although this is only at the floor of the boot. It seems the curved/sloping boot, and the lean on the front seats means this decreases sharply as you get higher from the floor.
Yes a full size adult mountain bike will fit with the seats dropped down, done it plenty of times
Glad to hear a bike fits.
Slap me down, by all means, but Why not remove the front wheel?...

Combination of habit, laziness, and me being mechanically incompetent. Current estate it just rolls straight in, close boot and you're off. Like wise rolls back out, lock car and you're off, zero faff. Previous car (Toyota Supra) required both wheels off and some additional fiddling to get it to fit, so it was a nice change of pace getting the estate.

As to the incompetence; both my bikes have disc brakes and whenever I take the front wheel off I, try as I might not to, end up knocking the brake lever locking the pads together. I then have to pry them apart, and spend the rest of the ride adjusting them because they're dragging, or the 'sh-shnk, sh-shnk, sh-shnk' noise is driving me mad. I usually get them adjusted just in time for me to pack the bike back into the car - and repeat!

Saying that I did just watch that video where he mentions a pad spacer, which was something I did not know existed, and hadn't even occurred to me (see mechanically incompetent/an idiot!).

Interesting point, not that I would ever tow (I prefer the roof), what's the issue? Something specific to the C63 engine output and max speed, presumably? Horse boxes yawing at speeds over 155mph?

If a specific model isn't type-approved for towing then it's illegal to fit a towbar to it (whether you actually tow anything or not). You can tell from the VIN plate - if there's a maximum 'train weight' (total weight of car plus trailer) given then you can fit a towbar (which also has to be type-approved!).

Lack of type-approval doesn't mean a vehicle isn't capable of towing ... just that the manufacturer didn't go through this certification process, for whatever reason (often cost).

Front wheels off....

Combination of habit, laziness, and me being mechanically incompetent. Current estate it just rolls straight in, close boot and you're off. Like wise rolls back out, lock car and you're off, zero faff. .......

As to the incompetence; both my bikes have disc brakes and whenever I take the front wheel off I, try as I might not to, end up knocking the brake lever locking the pads together. I then have to pry them apart, and spend the rest of the ride adjusting them because they're dragging, or the 'sh-shnk, sh-shnk, sh-shnk' noise is driving me mad. I usually get them adjusted just in time for me to pack the bike back into the car - and repeat!

Saying that I did just watch that video where he mentions a pad spacer, which was something I did not know existed, and hadn't even occurred to me (see mechanically incompetent/an idiot!).

Understand all that.... which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Your LBS will give /sell you a disk spacer, no probs. I've never used spacers and haven't had a problem, but then I'm a fairly cautious type.

If you find the space of an E class attractive, why not just buy the bigger car ?

Here's my 29er just casually slung into the back of my E. No fiddling, just in it goes.

mikeinwimbledon-albums-s211-e500-2004-picture10677-img-9485.jpg

ash59fifty-uk said:
Last time I checked was at the train station car park was in a rush, I looked for the usual pins at the top behind but couldn't find any Where abouts are they? Would be handy if they did drop down!

Open the boot and they are on the rear parcel shelf where the rear speakers are

If you find the space of an E class attractive, why not just buy the bigger car?

It's a consideration, I'm just trying to juggle various requirement/wants with my budget. Barring the bike lugging - which looks to be resolved - I feel the C63 suits me better at the moment. Research continues!

my 29er won't fit my S204 without the wheel off. I run roof bars.

you could fit a tow bar, who is gonna have a problem with that? Just don't ever tow anything because if anything happened you might be in hot water.

Basically the mfr has to test every variation of car they want type approved for towing - this costs loads. They probably felt it was extremely unlikely AMG owners would tow so just didn't bother. One has an old range rover for the tip runs don't you know.

So even if you did tow something - whats the penalty for towing outside approval? I don't know, but probably excess train weight similar to an overloaded trailer or van, thats a fixed penalty of up to £200. Its not like you are towing with an unsuitable vehicle, i mean anyone can tow 800kg with a VW Lupo.

Anyway all that is immaterial if you don't ever tow a trailer, just use it to mount a bike rack.
If the trailer mass is not specified then the car is not permitted to tow a trailer, however it may still be fitted with a support bracket to fit a cycle or motorbike carrier.
From Towbar Fitting : Towbar Fitting Service : Watling Engineers UK

I fitted a tow hitch to a 350z once to fit a bike rack, no one ever noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS why not look out for C350 petrol sport like mine, it is approved for towing. 306bhp and paddle shift is no c63 but it's a lot of fun. Good luck finding one, I got lucky only waited 9 months and then pounced. 38mpg official too! Fit an X pipe to get the best sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS why not look out for C350 petrol sport like mine, it is approved for towing. 306bhp and paddle shift is no c63 but it's a lot of fun. Good luck finding one, I got lucky only waited 9 months and then pounced. 38mpg official too! Fit an X pipe to get the best sound.

Given the thread is nigh on 3 years old, hope fully the OP may have his answer and his car by now :D

Given the thread is nigh on 3 years old, hope fully the OP may have his answer and his car by now :D

:wallbash::D just realised I did a search oops sorry! He might still be looking for a petrol c350 though.

I do quite a few big bike trips and what I do now is pop the wheels out and put one bike upside on the back seat and one upside down in the footwell. Wheels in the boot on top of luggage. You can get a chain cover called a Chain Johnny to keep crack off the car. I do have an E estate at the moment but the same method worked well in my previous Mondeo. taking wheels off makeS everything so much easier, even just for manhandling them. And using wheel bags contains any muck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom