C class CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ballbagracer

Car
VW golf gti, C250 sport, Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak.
I have a 2009 C250 estate with a manual gear box and do feel that 1st gear is very short even agricultural? what's peoples thoughts on this? is there anything that can be done to make it feel better?

It's a very long standing trait of MB's to have a very low 1st gear only fit for mountain hill starts with a caravan. My C class is the same, when I read the handbook it actually recommends starting on the flat in 2nd so that's what I do. My old 190e auto always pulled away in 2nd unless you really floored it. I wish they wouldn't do this as for most practical purposes it effectively turns a 6 peed box in a 5 speed or in the case of my 190e a 4 speed into a 3. It really isn't sensible any more if it ever was. Other manufactures don't have such ridiculously low 1st gears.

As for it feeling better I don't think there is a cure as the combination of very low first and a dual mass flywheel just doesn't work unless you are ultra careful with the clutch.

Don't auto's also pull away in 2nd most of the time. My 190e auto did. I could count on one hand how many times 1st was engaged in 21 years of owner ship. Point being, auto or manual you are still getting one gear less than advertised with an MB.

Been driving my c class W205 for 2 years and never noticed what gear it starts in.
Going to a carol service shortly, should know by the time I get there, give me something to think about will the others sing

Don't auto's also pull away in 2nd most of the time. My 190e auto did. I could count on one hand how many times 1st was engaged in 21 years of owner ship. Point being, auto or manual you are still getting one gear less than advertised with an MB.

That still leaves me with 8 forward & 2 reverse, can't complain about that!

To be fair i have a 2012 w204 c220 it feels the same doesn't really stretch her legs till 3rd gear.

Bought a 2012 manual w204 c200 cdi at 73k miles 4 months ago clutch control was hit or miss some days ok sometimes juddery from a stand still. Pedal felt good though . I changed 3 piece luk clutch to find out it is a self adjusting pressure plate hence pedal travel was ok.

I got a celtic tuning remap and shortly started noticing the smell and slip

Its like a different car nice to drive again with new clutch with excellent clutch control as should be expexted
Its 711.653 trans with 18 inch wheels ( amg sport+)
I also changed gear oil mb 235.10 (1.5l) and rear diff oil with correct oil (1l)
Other notes to mention regarding the original question.
Biggest wheels/tyres combo you can fit will gear it up..
Any diff gearing solutions??
With my om651 engi e thats meant to be quite a modular fit i suppose there are possible different combinations of flywheel and gearbox fitment from sprinters etc to dabble with even ic a custom prop length is reqd.

Anyway may do a post with my pics of clutch change.

Probable cause with my intermittent clutch judder was the amount of clutch dust trapped in the dmf recess that the fricton plate contacts.
With hi dsight i may have tried removing the csc bleed nipple inspection cover to blow or hoover as much dust from bell housing as poss.
Although my SAC was at full adjustment anyway and my friction plate was losing the grooves to almost baldness

Be interesting to see pictures m8. Sounds good.

Bought a 2012 manual w204 c200 cdi at 73k miles 4 months ago clutch control was hit or miss some days ok sometimes juddery from a stand still. Pedal felt good though . I changed 3 piece luk clutch to find out it is a self adjusting pressure plate hence pedal travel was ok.

I got a celtic tuning remap and shortly started noticing the smell and slip

Its like a different car nice to drive again with new clutch with excellent clutch control as should be expexted
Its 711.653 trans with 18 inch wheels ( amg sport+)
I also changed gear oil mb 235.10 (1.5l) and rear diff oil with correct oil (1l)
Other notes to mention regarding the original question.
Biggest wheels/tyres combo you can fit will gear it up..
Any diff gearing solutions??
With my om651 engi e thats meant to be quite a modular fit i suppose there are possible different combinations of flywheel and gearbox fitment from sprinters etc to dabble with even ic a custom prop length is reqd.

Anyway may do a post with my pics of clutch change.

Probable cause with my intermittent clutch judder was the amount of clutch dust trapped in the dmf recess that the fricton plate contacts.
With hi dsight i may have tried removing the csc bleed nipple inspection cover to blow or hoover as much dust from bell housing as poss.
Although my SAC was at full adjustment anyway and my friction plate was losing the grooves to almost baldness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom