C Class Chassis W204 Petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QUTSELL

Car
Mercedes C180
Ignition Key. Insert key no lights, steering locked, no door locks, of to have a key a battery fitted, no joy, looks like replace all ignition key and module, look on Bay and shows a few with different part numbers same year, any ideas ?.

Probably find the steering lock has failed !! When you insert the key do you hear a energizing noise if not then the ignition lock is not being removed as this is done electronically when the key is inserted the ignition switch reads the key and the tells the ignition lock to retract pretty common issue tbh. But first have you a spare key ?? If so try that then if that works then the key would be the issue but if you have no spare key then I would suggest getting the car to a dealer/indy who can check the key and the ignition switch and also the lock for faults.

If the steering wheel lock failed, it's usually a broken spring, but either way the mechanical side of things can be repaired without having to replace (and code) the EIS.

you sure its the ignition module/key, sounds to me like the main battery is completely dead as the car isnt responding to any inputs?

Ignition is set to on via the eis switch but to do this it needs to do a drive authentication check and this us done when the key is inserted. So to check if you have a spare key and all works then it has confirmed the eis is good the steering lock is good and the battery. If same with the other key then either eis is defective or steering lock or key all these can be tested via star.

Probably find the steering lock has failed !! When you insert the key do you hear a energizing noise if not then the ignition lock is not being removed as this is done electronically when the key is inserted the ignition switch reads the key and the tells the ignition lock to retract pretty common issue tbh. But first have you a spare key ?? If so try that then if that works then the key would be the issue but if you have no spare key then I would suggest getting the car to a dealer/indy who can check the key and the ignition switch and also the lock for faults.
No spare key when I bought the car, Key not a sound in or out AA checked it he seemed to think a new key was needed. Went to the dealers had the batteries replaced. No joy

Ignition is set to on via the eis switch but to do this it needs to do a drive authentication check and this us done when the key is inserted. So to check if you have a spare key and all works then it has confirmed the eis is good the steering lock is good and the battery. If same with the other key then either eis is defective or steering lock or key all these can be tested via star.
Just need to find a chap with Star diagnostic local,as that would sort the problem.

Just need to find a chap with Star diagnostic local,as that would sort the problem.
No spare key when I bought the car, Key not a sound in or out AA checked it he seemed to think a new key was needed. Went to the dealers had the batteries replaced. No joy
So your options are limited to a garage with star. Quick question can you turn the steering at all ? Only asking as sometimes the steering locks can fail in the off position and this makes them far easier to get to a garage on a truck and also replace as saves taking the whole column out. Does the car open and close with the remote ? Either way you now need to get the key checked via star and also the ignition and eis switch. 9 times out of 10 a fault code is stored for the steering lock failure keep us posted

So your options are limited to a garage with star. Quick question can you turn the steering at all ? Only asking as sometimes the steering locks can fail in the off position and this makes them far easier to get to a garage on a truck and also replace as saves taking the whole column out. Does the car open and close with the remote ? Either way you now need to get the key checked via star and also the ignition and eis switch. 9 times out of 10 a fault code is stored for the steering lock failure keep us posted
Hi, Steering is locked up. Door locking not working. (they are open) No instruments showing. Gears locked in park. Yes, that's one of the problems moving it. Went out shopping, came back no problems, park up, then doors won't lock.

It's away to Mercs. As suspected guessing a new ignition lock? and key, anybody had this done so that will give me some idea of cost ?. just waiting for the phone call now.

It's away to Mercs. As suspected guessing a new ignition lock? and key, anybody had this done so that will give me some idea of cost ?. just waiting for the phone call now.
I'd probably be looking in the region of £550 depends if they can get the lock out without removing the steering shaft

Wow that's a big call how much is the ecu
That part £795. Well, that's another story, and so here we go, ECU fitted, Oppps it ain't that "O" bugger, its the steering lock, but we have ordered the part, now this poses a question, as I quoted them when it first went there, I told them its the steering lock, diagnosed by the AA, I now wonder as the ECU was not faulty what will be the outcome ?. Replace the old one ?. Answers on a postcard, please. I also said you have Starr what was the reading showing or did you not check that first ?.

That part £795. Well, that's another story, and so here we go, ECU fitted, Oppps it ain't that "O" bugger, its the steering lock, but we have ordered the part, now this poses a question, as I quoted them when it first went there, I told them its the steering lock, diagnosed by the AA, I now wonder as the ECU was not faulty what will be the outcome ?. Replace the old one ?. Answers on a postcard, please. I also said you have Starr what was the reading showing or did you not check that first ?.
Mis diagnosed not your fault is it a mb garage or an indy ?? The lock will need to be coded by a special coding key which can only be gotten from mb and they need the serial no off the steering lock

Mis diagnosed not your fault is it a mb garage or an indy ?? The lock will need to be coded by a special coding key which can only be gotten from mb and they need the serial no off the steering lock
MB Garage. Thanks for the reply just what my thoughts were.

Can I ask what mb garage you went to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom