C Class Chrome Delete/Night Package

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clawhamer

Car
Current: C43 C205 Gone: BMW M4 Cab
I’m planning the chrome delete for my C Class coupe that’s due to arrive any day now. I believe the areas that are black in a night package (not currently available in UK for the c class) are:-

Window surrounds
Front splitter
Rear splitter
Front grill

I’m looking for a quick and easy solution that doesn’t require me to do any painting/wrapping of parts myself as I’m no good at that. If I could buy black parts and replace them myself I would but this seems cost prohibitive.

So far I’ve arranged for the window surrounds to be wrapped in gloss black for £130 rather buying the black trims as I’m only able to find them on eBay for over £500.

I’m not sure if wrapping the splitters, at least the front one, is a good idea as I don’t know how it’ll hold up to all the stone chips. Is there a better solution for this?

I’ve been looking for a replacement grill as I’ve seen these are really quick and easy to switch out. I’m searching for “C205” parts but can only find grills for cars manufactured between 2015-18 and the aren’t compatible with a 2020 model. Am I correct in searching for “C205”? I know I could get the grill wrapped to black out the areas required but wondering if this will look naff and be susceptible to stone chips.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
CH

I bought a set of the front splitters , really good quality, but then found out that it's a major job to fit them. They've been sat in my garage for about 6 months now, probably never fit them.:( would love to fit a diamond grille but it's a bumper off job , anybody who says otherwise is wrong. ( I assume you're getting a C205 , I don't think there's any difference between a 2015-2018 and a 2019 - 2020 , but check)

Last edited:
I found a video showing the owner switching her grill out in about two minutes. There are a couple of screws along the top under the bonnet and then it just push fits. This was the previous model c class though. I just found a thread on another forum saying it’s a bumper off job for the grill on the 205! Might be easier to get it wrapped then.

How tough is the wrap when it comes to stones hitting it? I assume it must be reasonably tough as entire cars get wrapped in the stuff.

The middle section of the chrome splitters is a stone magnet anyway, so wouldn't worry too much about the wrap.

The middle section of the chrome splitters is a stone magnet anyway, so wouldn't worry too much about the wrap.
But if it’s chrome wrapped in black then it’ll have tiny chrome dots all over the splitter assuming the wrap is easily damaged.

I would assume that they'll wrap the three sections separately , only a small job to replace the centre section if need be. Can't do much with the chrome finish if it's damaged.

But if it’s chrome wrapped in black then it’ll have tiny chrome dots all over the splitter assuming the wrap is easily damaged.
The wrap is sacrificial, it’s protecting the underlying trim.

I suspect that it will stand up to abuse better too, as well as protecting what’s beneath.

I wrapped the front drl surrounds on my 204 early last year and so far no noticeable chips

Thanks for all comments. Sounds like wrapping these parts will be the way to go then. Just need the car now but seems this is stuck at the port waiting to be transported to the dealership. They haven’t confirmed it but I think Covid-19 is causing delays. I suspect drivers will be self isolating. Also, I reckon we’re all going to be told to stay at home soon so may not be able to collect the car. Strange times. Hope all are safe and well.

Oh balls!! My car is stuck at the port and the dealerships will shut down at 18:00 Wednesday.

BMW insist they will still need to collect my current car even if it means I don’t have any transport. I’m classed as a key worker too. They would extend my current terms but only if I was trading in for another BMW. Bar stewards!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom