C Class Coupe parking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SammyC

Car
VW Golf
I am looking at buying the new C Class Coupe.

I have a question about the park assist that comes with the car.

Is this the system that parks the car itself for parallel parking?

I have a coupe, the standard one that comes with the car is parking guidance I think, it's pretty rubbish, much easier to just park it yourself.

I have a coupe, the standard one that comes with the car is parking guidance I think, it's pretty rubbish, much easier to just park it yourself.

So what does the parking guidance do?

thanks for the reply.

Surely the new cars have the automatic parking now? Bloody A Class does! :rolleyes:

It's called Parktronic with advanced parking guidance fitted a standard. It will help you manoeuvre into a parking space using visual and acoustic warnings. It will measure the size of a suitable space and guide you in indicating steering angle and when to turn the wheel. This differs from other systems where the steering is actually moved by the system automatically with no driver input.

It's called Parktronic with advanced parking guidance fitted a standard. It will help you manoeuvre into a parking space using visual and acoustic warnings. It will measure the size of a suitable space and guide you in indicating steering angle and when to turn the wheel. This differs from other systems where the steering is actually moved by the system automatically with no driver input.

Thanks for that. Is this something you find handy?

Is there any reason why you can't get Park Assist on the C Class Coupe?

I think one thing that is required to implement this at least on the budget models [ A and B class] is electronically assisted power steering [rather than hydraulic] and maybe some short range radar sensors front and rear.
Haven't got a C class Coupe myself although I have driven one a couple of times so can't really comment sorry.

A C coupe is a short car, albeit with a boot slung out beyond the rear hatch. Rear parking sensors would be nice, but I imagine the car would be easily parked without any aids. Its not a large car.

Not meaning to sound too rude....

Its not a big car, and with normal parktronic that should be good enough to help you judge the front and rear?

If your not comfortable parking it.... then it doesn't make for enjoying the car?

If however you have back or neck or other issues that hinder the ability to park then fair enough.

I think the auto park thing for other car are just gimmicks. By the time you've press all the buttons and tell the car to park, you could of parked and walked away.

The only thing that you might want to add to help you is the reversing camera.

I have the reversing camera and find it disorientating. Only use it to check for large obstacles, not for actual parking.

The parking guidance system gets it wrong and then cancels itself when you do it right; therefore, it is redundant.

The car is easy enough to park - it's just the risk of kerbing the alloys that terrifies me. :eek:

I've got the Park Assist on my E350 estate, and I've only used it once. Even following the instructions perfectly left me a good foot away from the kerb.

However, I'd happily pay for every neighbour in my street to have it fitted to their car, because that's better than they seem to be able to manage.

I'll admit the reversing camera comes in handy though.

I've got a C class saloon and tried it the other day for the first time. I deliberately chose a long space, and have to admit it did a good job. I ended up about 4 inches from the kerb, which is about as close as I would want to go at the moment with new alloys.

The procedure is a bit of a faff though and the car came in at a much wider angle than I would do when parking "manually".

I'll try it a few more times in slightly tighter spaces before I decide whether to continue with it or not.

W2-- said:
I think the auto park thing for other car are just gimmicks. By the time you've press all the buttons and tell the car to park, you could of parked and walked away.

The only thing that you might want to add to help you is the reversing camera.

No there's only one button to press, "ok", and then it parks itself amazingly accurately. I'm not very often in a situation where I need to parallel park, but when I am I use it every time and marvel at it :D If you don't like gadgets and gimmicks then fair enough, but it's not true that it's more complicated or long winded than parking it yourself. I wouldn't pay for it if it was an option though, and the cheaper version that just shows you lines and doesn't park itself does look pointless

It's a good debate to be honest.
I am not really in any need for the parktronic etc but just wondering why different new Mercs have different parking systems attached.
Interesting that BMW cars have the radar hotspots on the parking sensors which could be useful.
I suppose everyone is different in what they are comfortable with at the end of the day.

Agree the camera is of only moderate use, but I have found that you can get used to it with practice and it can help.

The other thing I'm finding is that although the C-class coupe is not huge it is still a little longer than you initially think (when reversing into a garage and nearly wiping out a couple cases of wine for example, ahem). Also, the AMG has deceptively wide arches front and rear which make narrow spaces a little more challenging than you would think.

On the parking sensors, they are fine, but you need to adjust, as they only really go nanas when you are VERY close to something (less than a foot).

Overall tho not a difficult car to park.

K

After 10 years of Parktronic on my old CLK I'd now be lost without it. Fortunately it came as standard on my new C350 Sport, but I would have ordered it as an option if not. I doubt that I'll try out the standard "parking assist" because I'd prefer to look out of the windows when I'm parallel parking rather than looking at the dashboard for instructions! But it could be good for those who are less capable. The Parktronic guidance lights are next to the windscreen and rear window so you can see them at the same time. They are also backed up with audio when you get closer. So lots of info available whilst maneuvering.:thumb:

My only gripe with the Parktronic on my old CLK was that it was fairly slow to respond - so expensive when I tried to reverse quickly without seeing a bollard!!! But I've learnt my lesson :doh:

I haven't yet tried the parking guidance feature on my E250 as I don't feel the need. Front and rear parking sensors are sufficient to help me park.

I've tried it once and it is really pointless. You have to follow the guide in the small display while reversing, which means that you have to trust it completely and hope that no small children or animals run out behind you (as you wont be looking out for them). The instant you deviate a tiny bit from the instructions it cancels itself.

I have heard that the Memory package has a setting where the passenger side mirror dips when reverse is selected, allowing you to see the kerb. That, plus the front & rear parking sensors would (for me) be the perfect set up.

I have heard that the Memory package has a setting where the passenger side mirror dips when reverse is selected, allowing you to see the kerb. That, plus the front & rear parking sensors would (for me) be the perfect set up.
Agreed. I have the memory pack and also had it on my CLK for 10 years. Would be lost without the dipping door mirror feature now - saves a fortune in scuffed wheels!! (Biggest advantage of memory pack though is that Mrs K is a lot smaller than me, so pushing one button to reset seat, mirrors and steering is a godsend.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom