C Class Coupe - which roof bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clawhamer

Car
Current: C43 C205 Gone: BMW M4 Cab
Hi, I need roof bars for my 2019 c class coupe. I have the Yakima Whispbar and tried fitting them yesterday. Aside from looking ridiculous, I wasn’t convinced they’d be safe to carry a couple of bikes. Anybody have bars on their c class that they can recommend please. I’ve always used Thule but, unfortunately, they don’t do them for the c class coupe.
Thanks,
CH

Are you sure that Thule don't do bars? Looking on the Thule site, and on roofbox.co.uk (where I got mine from) there are several options for the Coupe.

I used a Thule set on my estate; they were the standard square bar, but other options such as the Wingbar are available.

Are you sure that Thule don't do bars? Looking on the Thule site, and on roofbox.co.uk (where I got mine from) there are several options for the Coupe.

I used a Thule set on my estate; they were the standard square bar, but other options such as the Wingbar are available.
Hi cduk,
It’s because I selected the ‘flush bar’ option as I didn’t want ‘through bars’. I think the through bars will look worse? Might be better getting the Thule through bars and see if they fit better.
Thanks,
CH

I have the mercedes ones for my c class saloon the fit is excellent and they were no more expensive than the thule ones.

I have the mercedes ones for my c class saloon the fit is excellent and they were no more expensive than the thule ones.
Do they attach by screwing a bolt into the captive nuts under the flaps on the roof?

It’s because I selected the ‘flush bar’ option as I didn’t want ‘through bars’. I think the through bars will look worse? Might be better getting the Thule through bars and see if they fit better.
Ah, that makes sense - you're right, they don't do the flush bars for the coupe - has to be the through ones.

This is what they look like attached - I think the coupe ones are 108cm long, rather than the 118cm below. I don't like keeping them on the car when not needed as a) they make a bit of wind noise and b) I can't open the sunroof.

68548457-2201-4720-a750-f8e3880a71bb.JPGIMG_3026.JPG

Ah, that makes sense - you're right, they don't do the flush bars for the coupe - has to be the through ones.

This is what they look like attached - I think the coupe ones are 108cm long, rather than the 118cm below. I don't like keeping them on the car when not needed as a) they make a bit of wind noise and b) I can't open the sunroof.

View attachment 104553View attachment 104554
Thanks for posting images. Your roof bars don’t look bad. I think it’s just on the coupe they’ll look hideous whether I get through or flush bars. I’m going to try mounting them again tomorrow as I found a video showing how to mount the Whispbar and picked up a few things I’d not done properly.

I’m still unsure about the bolts into the captive nuts on the roof though. I had a BMW about 10 years ago with the same system, bolt into factory fitted captive nut, and when I took the roof bars off one of the captive nuts started to spin around in the roof meaning I couldn’t get the bolt out. It ended up at the BMW body shop and, at first, they said it might need a new roof skin!! It got sorted but I’m still worried that tightening too much will cause this to happen again and not tight enough the rack will come off. I do some research and see if it’s advisable to coat with Vaseline or similar first. I see yours are on rails and this is how they are on Mrs CH’s car and it’s a much better system.

Do you coat the bolts in anything i.e. Vaseline or similar so they come out easily or have you never had a problem getting them back out?
Never had a problem although I only put them on when I need them and take them off again. They are tightened with a plastic handle so I don't think they can be over tightened.

Bit late on this one as newbie, however also looking for roof bars/box for 2016 GLC Coupe. Any recommendations based on previous observations.

Bit late on this one as newbie, however also looking for roof bars/box for 2016 GLC Coupe. Any recommendations based on previous observations.
I buy Mercedes roof bars and cycle carriers and they’ve always been fantastic. I’m sure there are cheaper options available, but the assurance of fit and quality made it worth it for me.

Prices car vary, so it’s worth shopping around. If I remember right my last set purchased last year were £100 from Mercedes-Benz of Newcastle (through eBay) than elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom