C class engine options - your opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rayny

Car
BMW (E84) X1 18d MSport SDrive
Currently my 2001, C240 is in the dealers to investigate a starting problem, while waiting for their call I am browsing Autotrader as I feel that it will be an expensive fix and it's probably time to replace the car as the rust is beginning to set in.

I will be looking at 3 or 4 door C class, or CLK
Looking for 2004 facelift model.
Ideally C270cdi.

But would appreciate thoughts on the following engines:-
C200cdi
C220cdi
C230Kompressor
C230 I6

Thanks in advance

C270cdi all day long. The C200cdi will be too slow. Either the C230 models are fine if you are prepared to fill up more often.

Admittedly, my C200 is slow from the get go, (Unless its in "S" mode).. But once it gets going, it can shift and really the start up is the only thing I really noticed that was different from driving a C220... I have not tested any of the other C engine sizes, so cannot comment..

You seem to have precluded the lesser Kompressor models, i.e. C180K and C200K.

The C230K is very nice but unfortunately it is also an extremely rare find.

As for fuel consumption... it obviously depends on the mileage you do. If the mileage is low, I wouldn't bother with the diesels, they are more expensive to buy, and repairs can be costly as well.

As for the V6 petrol... I didn't actually drive the W203 V6, but my previous car was a V6 and in comparison I must sadly admit that the 4-cyl M271 engine I have now - fine engine as it is for a 4-cyl - is no where nearly as smooth as the V6 was. So again, if your annual mileage is not very high, I would definitely consider a V6 petrol...

But if you do do high motorway mileage annually - then I suppose a diesel is the sensible choice.

Last edited:
I researched the road tests from when the 203 first came out, and they said the 270 was the best engine choice - which is why I bought one! I've not been disapointed, relaxed driving experience whether heading for Tesco or motorwaying, plenty of grunt if you want it (surprises a lot of people!) once I'd had the MAF changed so could get above 3k RPM, and 45mpg in normal use, have seen just over 50 on a long motorway run. Service interval on mine is still 2 years/15k miles, and we only do about 7k/year, so in 3 years ownership she's had 1 A service costing about £175 and is not due another for a year! Not sure when MB craftily changed Assyst to 1 year/15k miles, but it's one to watch for. At least post 4/2003 you get galvanising, post 4/2004 you also get nano paint, so should have less tinworm problem.

You seem to have precluded the lesser Kompressor models, i.e. C180K and C200K.

The C230K is very nice but unfortunately it is also an extremely rare find.

Thanks for your reply :-
Mileage is mostly commuting 6 miles each way, but every couple of months I am out for a 2 to 4 hundred mile trip - Also I anticipate doing about about 2,000 miles in early September for my trip north of the border.
Not too worried about mpg as I really enjoy paying the petrol tax
biggrin.gif

There is a 230K Coupe that I have spotted, hence the reason for including it - I thought being a 1.8L engine it might be a highly stressed unit, unlike the lazy V6 that I currently drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom