C class estate W202 Xreg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headers21

Car
MB C180 Estate
Hi new owner to MB and my front headlight just got whacked by a stone and is now cracked, There is one for sale on ebay that is off a 96 c class saloon .
Can anyone tell me if this will fit and how easy it to replace ie alignment extra
Much appreciated

Fairly easy to replace. You need to remove the indicator lamp to get to one of the mounting screws and a couple on the front if I remember rightly to remove the headlamp. Im sure Ive seen a "How to" somewhere.

Once the headlamp is out, it is just a case of popping off the clips around the glass and it comes off.

Not sure if an older glass would fit your facelift version though.

You may get away without alignment, because replacing the glass does not require you to fiddle with the alignment adjustment screws at the rear, however if you wish align it, just pop it down to an MOT test centre.....shouldn't cost more than £5.

Last edited:
Hi,
The older cars (pre-facelift) headlight glass will fit but the light beams are focused differently, if you go to GSF they do replacement headlight glass for approx. £40 IIRC, though do check you haven,t got Xenons fitted as the last W202's were more likely to have them, in which case you may have to go to MB for it.
As for replacing the glass, it is straightforward, just secured by approx 6 metal clips.
Though I have never done it "I think" by removing the indicator, and the trim that runs along the bottom of the headlight (secured by two screws either end) the glass can be removed/replaced leaving the body of the headlight in the car.

Last edited:
Be careful with the plastic clips as they are very easy to break. With age they become brittle.

Though I have never done it "I think" by removing the indicator, and the trim that runs along the bottom of the headlight (secured by two screws either end) the glass can be removed/replaced leaving the body of the headlight in the car.

Ive done this job before. You have to remove the headlamp or else you will either lose the clips in the bumper abyss or you will damage the headlamp. Also getting the clips back on need a little force and it really would be too difficult to achieve with the headlamp in place.

Also take care when replacing to make sure that the rubber seal around the glass is properly seated.

Last edited:
Hi,
Good link,
Thought it could be done with the light still in the car, though I had never actually did it I removed mine.

Guys
Thanks for all the replies looked at GSF I don't have Xenons so I have ordered a replacemnet lens did not know you get just the lens if it arrives before the weekend guess what my task will be,will keep you updated on the job. link shows the job to be easy enough so fingers crossed I don't lose the clips.

Hi Thanks for the info eventually got round to doing this job today and yes it was very simple to complete you have to watch for the spring clips going everywhere. I put masking tape over them so they would not get lost also the bottom two do not have to be removed you can just catch them with the new glass when fitting. Total price from GSF was £49 incl vat for a Bosch lens much better than £140 for a complete unit, whilst I was at it I took then lens of the other side a gave it good clean but now they way it looks I will probably replace the other side what a difference it makes to the light beam. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom