C class estates - Old Lower Mileage S204 or higher mileage S205?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beermatt

Car
Skoda vRS (looking to bunch MB C-Class
Looking to become a first time Merc driver. Have seen a lovely 2012 CClass c250 CDI AMG Sport Plus Auto. 45k on the clock. Given its age I wonder how reliable it will be. Any advice on what to look out for? Would I be better to spend a few more pennies and get a higher mileage S205 over the S204? Or maybe I should go for a more basic s204 C220 CDI SE Exec - bit cheaper and less electrics to go wrong (though I love the look of the AMG trim and personally think the s204 looks better than the 205!.) Thanks in advance .

It's down to personal choice. You say you like the look of the 204 over the 205. A c250 with 45k would be worth looking at. Go and test drive both and see which you prefer driving? I have a 204 c220 that's just passed 100k and it still feels and drives like it did at 50k. For me personally I'd go with the 204 as it won't have ad-blue to worry about.

It's down to personal choice. You say you like the look of the 204 over the 205. A c250 with 45k would be worth looking at. Go and test drive both and see which you prefer driving? I have a 204 c220 that's just passed 100k and it still feels and drives like it did at 50k. For me personally I'd go with the 204 as it won't have ad-blue to worry about.
Thx. Good to hear it’s still going well :) has it been generally pretty reliable?

Thx. Good to hear it’s still going well :) has it been generally pretty reliable?
I didn't want to temp fate in my first reply but yes no faults so far 🙈 Apart from wear and tear items I have had a blown speaker and that's about it! *touch wood*

A asI didn't want to temp fate in my first reply but yes no faults so far 🙈 Apart from wear and tear items I have had a blown speaker and that's about it! *touch wood*

Trouble is a 204 Sport Plus has high wear and tear items of diamond cut alloys , half fake leather Artico seats with alcantara centers .

T
Trouble is a 204 Sport Plus has high wear and tear items of diamond cut alloys , half fake leather Artico seats with alcantara centers .
Thx. What wears on the diamond alloys? Are they different to other alloys? I know on most cars I’ve had the alloys can often bubble / need a refurb after 6 or more years.
ive heard of the alcantara seats splitting but surely they’d be good for another 50k?

I would view both cars if possible. Just because one car is newer, it may not have been looked after as well as the older one or vice versa.
I rejected an Audi a4 avant with only 5k miles on last year because the interior was damaged (console and interior panel trim deep gouges in them) and groaning noises from the suspension and that was only 5k miles
I took it straight back the day after purchasing and collecting as I just didn't trust what I had bought

Out of curiosity... why are you looking for a Diesel car?

The 2013-2014 W204 C180 petrol has the very frugal 1.6L M274 Turbo engine, and the 2014-2017 W205 C200 has a more-powerful 2.0L version of the same engine.

And the M274 is EU6 and ULEZ compliant (should this ever become an issue in Manchester). Not to mention that there's no DPF and no Adblue to worry about.

Last edited:
The potential Adblue issues would put me off a C205 if I was in the market for a diesel. I would also vote for a late S204 with the M274; it's not nearly as gutless as its mere 1.6 suggests ( although it is never going to set the tarmac alight ), it's quieter than a 220/250 CDI and on a run you can get 40-45 (indicated) mpg.

Is an S204 diesel ULEV compatible? Might not be a problem for Manchester now, but wouldn’t be surprised if that changes...
No. It wouldn’t be, if Manchester clean air goes ahead. Currently the plans are only for commercial vehicles so the 204 would be ok for a few years.j

The 2013-2014 W204 C180 petrol has the very frugal 1.6L M274 Turbo engine, and the 2014-2017 W205 C200 has a more-powerful 2.0L version of the same engine.

And the M274 is EU6 and ULEZ compliant (should this ever become an issue in Manchester). Not to mention that there's no DPF and no Adblue to worry about.
Just not heard great things about the reliability of the C180. I’m stepping out of a Skoda petrol vRS so still want something with a bit of poke. And generally the reviews of the 205 arnt as good as the 204. Money is a consideration too. I’m forced to swap car at the moment as can’t drive a manual due to leg injury so plan is to part ex and spend about 5k max.

No. It wouldn’t be, if Manchester clean air goes ahead. Currently the plans are only for commercial vehicles so the 204 would be ok for a few years.j

Just not heard great things about the reliability of the C180. I’m stepping out of a Skoda petrol vRS so still want something with a bit of poke. And generally the reviews of the 205 arnt as good as the 204. Money is a consideration too. I’m forced to swap car at the moment as can’t drive a manual due to leg injury so plan is to part ex and spend about 5k max.

The M271 engine in the W204 was indeed problematic (prone to timing gear failure). The M274 is a fine engine that has no major faults other than thermostat failure. There are valid arguments in favour of Diesel... but tbe reliability of the M274 isn’t one if them - it's a good engine.

That said, if you prefer a Diesel, by all means go for it. Just wanted to make sure you have evaluated all options.

There's the 300 petrol as well but I don't know how long they go back without checking. I'm averaging 38 mpg in mine at the moment which is very good I think

My s205 purchase in a nutshell. I agree with this 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom