C-class handling, is this normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coolhand

Car
C300 A205 Prem Plus AMG Line Night Edition
I have a 2011 w204 c class.

I'm really happy with it but the handling is very odd and I was hoping other owners could tell me if it's normal.

I do a lot of motorway driving and I find the car is constantly pulling in one direction or the other.

When the road cambers or if there is any crown in the road, I have to steer into the camber/crown. In order to drive in a straight line, It's as if I have to keep the steering wheel level with the horizon as the car rolls with the camber/crown. Is this normal?

It's driving me nuts. On occasion i have to use opposite lock on very shallow bends, where the camber is pronounced.

If it's not normal could anyone give me advice as to what may be wrong?

Cheers in advance,
Luke

Ive not noticed anything wrong with the general handling of my car. Suggest you take it back under warranty or take it to be checked out.

'They all do that sir.'

Seriously, all my MBs have done this to some extent, tyre wear hasn't suffered as a result.

Might be tracking out?
Could also be tramlining, where the low profile tyres follow grooves in the road- this was v pronounced on our previous BMW 330 when driving on dual carriageways

There are micro adjustments that can be made which make the car more or less sensitive to camber. Ask them to go more towards driving straight.

If the rubber isnt directional, try swapping sides.

Haven't noticed anything like that with mine. If I were you I'd check the tyre pressures first and if they're OK then take it back to the dealer to be checked over.

Neither of mine have behaved like that. I'd suggest it's something about your car.

I had the same after a tyre change , had tracking done 3 times then replaced the a almost new tyre , it stopped the pulling but the steering wheel is slightly to the right when driving in a straight line, I'm now going to a dedicated suspension/tracking garage to see if they can pick any thing up ,,, there is a piece in the wheels and tyre section a bout tracking/pulling to one side .

I noticed that the condition I described only occurs when the steering wheel is adjusted to max height. When it's lowered the symptoms get gradually better until at the min height, they are completely gone!

Mine was like that when I bought it from a dealer. They said it was normal for it to drift slightly. I kindy asked if a technician would accompany me on a test drive. Well when I let go of the steering wheel and the car went from 1 side of the road to the other instantly he s**t himself. Anyway they then did a 4 wheel alignment but still no differnce. They then had it for 2 days and replaced alsorts to do with the steering arms etc.

Insist on a full investigation .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom