C Class LED Headlights - European Travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHJon

Car
2016 C300h Premium
Hi all,

I'm going over to France for a couple of weeks on Friday. Usually I would buy a set of headlight deflectors to use on halogen bulbs.

Are LEDs any different? I know some xenon sets you can adjust for continental travel - is there such a feature on the most recent C class?

Thanks,

Jon

Why do people not read their handbooks?

The E class handbook states thus:

Driving*abroad
General*notes
If*your*journey*takes*you*to*countries*where*vehicles*are*driven*on*the*opposite*side*of*the*road*to*the*country*in*which*the vehicle*is*registered,*your*headlamps*must*be*switched*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam*as*soon*as*possible*after*crossing*the border*(exception:*vehicles*with*static*LED*headlamps).*This*prevents*oncoming*traffic*from*being*dazzled.*Symmetrical lights*do*not*illuminate*as*large*an*area*of*the*edge*of*the*carriageway.
Vehicles*with*static*LED*headlamps
It*is*not*necessary*to*switch*your*headlamps*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam*when*driving*in*countries*where*vehicles*are driven*on*the*opposite*side*of*the*road*to*the*country*in*which*the*vehicle*is*registered.*Legal*requirements*are*fulfilled without*switching*the*headlamps*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam.
Vehicles*with*Intelligent*Light*System
*Before*crossing*the*border,*set*the*headlamps*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam*and*after*returning*back*to*asymmetrical dipped*beam*via*the*"Dipped*beam*headlamps*for*driving*on*the*right/left"*function*in*the*on*board*computer*. If*the*headlamps*are*converted*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam,*the*"motorway*mode"*and*"extended*range*foglamps"*functions are*not*available.

Presumably the C class is the same.

Why do people not read their handbooks?

The E class handbook states thus:

Driving*abroad
General*notes
If*your*journey*takes*you*to*countries*where*vehicles*are*driven*on*the*opposite*side*of*the*road*to*the*country*in*which*the vehicle*is*registered,*your*headlamps*must*be*switched*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam*as*soon*as*possible*after*crossing*the border*(exception:*vehicles*with*static*LED*headlamps).*This*prevents*oncoming*traffic*from*being*dazzled.*Symmetrical lights*do*not*illuminate*as*large*an*area*of*the*edge*of*the*carriageway.
Vehicles*with*static*LED*headlamps
It*is*not*necessary*to*switch*your*headlamps*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam*when*driving*in*countries*where*vehicles*are driven*on*the*opposite*side*of*the*road*to*the*country*in*which*the*vehicle*is*registered.*Legal*requirements*are*fulfilled without*switching*the*headlamps*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam.
Vehicles*with*Intelligent*Light*System
*Before*crossing*the*border,*set*the*headlamps*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam*and*after*returning*back*to*asymmetrical dipped*beam*via*the*"Dipped*beam*headlamps*for*driving*on*the*right/left"*function*in*the*on*board*computer*. If*the*headlamps*are*converted*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam,*the*"motorway*mode"*and*"extended*range*foglamps"*functions are*not*available.

Presumably the C class is the same.

Because that's what forums are useful for, nothing quite like first hand advice.

Plus sometimes the hand books are quite difficult to read and/or find the relevant advice.

My previous car was a 2014 E300 with partial LED lights for which there was no adjustment.

My current car has ILS and as advised there is a setting within the display to adjust lights for use abroad.

I did look at my Mercedes app with the manual included, but it is fairly cumbersome and wasn't very definitive. But thanks for the suggestion to consult the manual.

Driving*abroad
General*notes
If*your*journey*takes*you*to*countries*where*vehicles*are*driven*on*the*opposite*side*of*the*road*to*the*country*in*which*the vehicle*is*registered,*your*headlamps*must*be*switched*to*symmetrical*dipped*beam*as*soon*as*possible*after*crossing*the border*(exception:*vehicles*with*static*LED*headlamps).*This*prevents*oncoming*traffic*from*being*dazzled.*Symmetrical </snip>

What's with all the asterisks?

:bannana:

I have read the handbook but do not think it clear: I have LED lights but not the intelligent lighting system, my lights are only self levelling. It states behind the headlamp glass "LED High Performance"
I have no option that I can find on the settings to change to Symmetrical Dipped Beam so can only assume my car a 2014 new style c220 estate does not have that ability.

I am rather confused by the owners handbook "info Below! as although I do have static LED Headlights there is no option to change anything. I do not want to fall foul of the French or German Police by not having the adhesive headlamp stickers fitted if I do in fact need them. Can anyone advise please.
Driving abroad

Vehicles with halogen or static LED headlamps
It is not necessary to switch your headlamps to symmetrical dipped beam when driving in countries where vehicles are driven on the opposite side of the road to the country in which the vehicle is registered. Legal requirements are fulfilled without switching the headlamps to symmetrical dipped beam.

The standard LED’s are fine, ILS you’ll need to go into the system and swap the side over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The standard LED’s are fine, ILS you’ll need to go into the system and swap the side over

I don't have ILS I cannot find a facility in the system settings to change.

I don't have ILS I cannot find a facility in the system settings to change.

So you must have static LED’s, which are a symmetrical beam, so no need to change anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom