C Class Niggles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_S

Car
C270cdi
I have a C270, about 20 months old, it has had various minor probs. Purchased from Brunswick South Croydon who were subsequently taken over by Mercedes, who are hopeless.

The sat/nav (APS30), seems to have very poor UK Road coverage, dealer promised me a UK only CD ROM 3 months ago and having made about 8 phone calls and visited their premises on four occasions, taken delivery of three different discs, none of which worked as they were designed for a different system altogether. Mercedes have just informed me that no such thing as a UK only CD ROM exists. The system is made by Becker, and the importer says the CD ROM is an old version, but Mercedes don't agree.

Odd noises in the front passenger seat took 3 trips to the dealer to sort out.

Front parking sensor failed just prior to a drive to the South of France and Spain, dealer was "too busy" to help me out SG Smith (Crystal Palace) did manage to oblige, but Mercedes have since forced them to close their Mercedes operation.

Leather on the drivers seat has a fault, Mercedes agreed to replace it, I took my car in, at the end of the day they informed me that they ordered the wrong material so the work is still outstanding.

The parking brake seems to have developed a prob - still works but the racheting sound that is normally there when it is applied has gone - is it about to fail?

Now there is another odd noise - when cornering - seems to be in the drivers seat.

Sigh!

When I bought my Merc I thought I was buying a great car and quality customer service.

I like the car, but are the niggles going to get worse? Will I face more serious problems after the warranty expires?

Today I have test driven a Honda, a Toyota and a Mazda, none a patch on the C Class, but I have previously owned a Honda and a Toyota long term without any problems.

Should I ditch the Merc?

Originally posted by Mike_S
Should I ditch the Merc?

I'd say no and I'm guessing most posters here will probably say the same assuming you mean ditch the marque totally as opposed to ditching your problematic current motor.

I sympathise with your feelings on the treatment from the dealership, it seems apathy has stuck with a vengence on most Mercedes 'Stealerships', I'm reminded of a Viz cartoon titled 'Lazy disinterested Shop-Girl'. This really isn't the sort of attitude a company should exhibit if it wants to maintain or grow its customer base. Unfortunately this isn't a trait that's exclusive to Mercedes. I've got friends with other makes of cars and they've had similar experiences, Volvo (Swansea) being another prime offender.

I hope your woes are sorted quickly if you decide to stick with the car.

S.

Mike,

Squeaky front seats are very common with the W203. I had it with mine. Look underneath the front seat and there is a plastic bracket on the swaybar at the front. Carefully spray some contact oil or apply some grease and the squeaking/noise should go.

Alternatively, there is a service advisory on this so you could take into the dealer.

Incidentally, I have had some excellent service from my local MB dealer, which has kind or restored my faith, especially after my poor MB Epsom experience. Will post up about it later.

Cheers, Robbo

I HAVE ALSO HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH MY NEW C CLASS ESTATE, THE GEOMETRY IS OUT OF ALINGMENT. AFTER 5 TRIPS BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP, WHO DURING THIS TIME HAVE BEEN TAKEN BACK BY MB, THE PROBLEM HAS NOT BEEN RECTIFIED. THE CAR CONSISTANTLY PULLS TO THE LEFT. IT IS 7 MONTHS OLD AND HAS 3000 MILES ON THE CLOCK. CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS GOT WORSE, AND DESPITE WRITING TO THE DEALERSHIP WE HAVE HAD NO WRITTEN REPLY TO ANY QUESTIONS!!

I ALSO THOUGHT I WAS BUYING QUALITY AND RELIABILITY AND GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. THIS IS MB WOKING.

ANYONE ELSE HAD PROBLEMS LIKE THIS?
ANY IDEAS ON HOW NOW TO TACKLES THIS ISSUE?
THANKYOU

CLARERAM
C180K ELEGANCE

Clareram -

Try not to use CAPS please. It is not nice to read and is generally viewed by online communities as "shouting" which I don't think you are.

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Clareram - nice to have you onboard!

I have a year old C220CDI which I bought last month. The only issue I had with it was a similar excessive pulling to the left that was not in proportion with the road camber. However (and this is where our experiences differ) I brought it back to the MB dealership who took the car in for the day and sorted the problem out! Have a rummage about old threads for this issue because I remember reading a lengthy thread about this very issue not so long ago. Read the thread and if you not satisfied make sure you bring the car back and demand the fault be rectified!!!

Clareram,

Mine is absolutely fine and does not pull to the left at all, although the the nearside front tyre does seem to be wearing a little on the outside. Maybe its because I have to negotiate so many roundabouts in Bracknell:D

I also remember reading something about this, although I cant remember which forum it was on.

Robbo

There are a few threads about this on www.mboa.co.uk, but in relation to the W202, not the W203. My W202 suffered with this when I first got it, but after 3 trips back to the dealer was finally sorted out. It is still not perfect - the road camber does seem to affect it slightly more than i think it should - however it is now a million times better than it was originally, despite the dealer insisting that it was a trait of the model, and nothing could be done about it !

I would have thought that if it was a trait of the model, they would have ironed out the bug with the W203, but a proper laser alignment should sort it out.

S.

i had an 02/02 C220 cdi that pulled to the left as well.i took it back after 7 months/6000 M to Pentagon (Soton) and they relieved me of £105 for a tracking adjustment!Not a warranty claim because it was an "adjustment"..... However,the happy ending is that while i was waiting i saw the ad in Auto Express for the CLK which i went on to buy and is of the quality that you would expect of MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom