C Class -no electrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiff

Car
2001 SLK 230.
Was called out to a 4 year old C class earlier, non start. The keyfob was operating the doors properly, but when inserted into the dash and turned, nothing.... no warning lights,ignition, nothing. It was an auto so no release of the steering lock or trans, so no tow. Its staying where it is for now and will probably be flatbedded to Mercedes tomorrow, but just curious as to what it could be. To me it seemed like the whole ignition switch unit was dead. Anyone else come accross this?

Best call out ever yesterday... Lamborghini Gallardo Spider...:bannana:

It was an auto so no release of the steering lock or trans, so no tow.

You can release the transmission - the method varies a bit by model but usually you remove the surround for the auto selector and then poke the release button.

Electronic Ignition Switches (EIS) do seem to just fail randomly.

Sorry to state the obvious but has the owner got another key they can try? would eliminate that possibility --- then its the EIS as has been said.
What was wrong with the Gallardo? I hear they can suffer from "owner ego deflation". ;)

The owner has another key and was going to try it, but I don't think it'll make any difference. He was going to try thay, then call Mercedes before making any decisions on what to do. If I'd paid that amount of money, then had to get the bus home, I'd be livid.

Gallardo had roof failure... got stuck halfway through the process in a petrol station...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom