C Class recall - SRS module

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kam05

Car
C220CDI Sport (COMAND) W204
I visited MB Bradford recently regarding purchasing some replacement parts for my C220CDI Sport.

When enquiring about these parts, the service advisor noted that my car (W204 C220CDI Sport, 2007 57 Plate, OM646 EVO engine) has been flagged up for warranty work to replace an SRS (airbag?) module on their system.

Car is going in for the warranty work later in the week, so I'll update after the work has been done.

Are dealers supposed to contact owners regarding warranty work? I wouldn't have know about this recall if I didn't visit my local MB dealer. My car has full MB history.

Hopefully this thread will be useful to other C Class owners.

Safety related defects are subject to a recall and are managed through the DVLA.

Other defects may be rectified by the manufacturer, but do not use the recall system. AFAIK, manufacturers can't use the DVLA data to contact owners unless it's for a safety-related matter, so these defects only tend to get picked up if and when an owner takes their care to a franchised dealer.

It may be that there is going to be a safety-related recall on the SRS module, but that your dealer has pre-empted the replacement by picking it up at service time?

I had a recall done by the dealer a few years ago - the car was in for a service and they did the recall work at the same time.

A few weeks later I got the recall letter via DVLA - so the dealer pre-empted the need to take the car in a second time.

That's a bit worrying a seven year old car and they've only just discovered a safety problem!! I presume it applies to CDI 200 engines as well so mine must be unsafe as well :(

Artyman - check with your dealer as your car might also be affected.

was this the Service Measure SMPC636? Mine has just gone in for it today...

I just booked my car in for an MOT at the dealership, and a few minutes later he called me back about this recall.

I'm going to have to book it in next week. Does anyone know what it is they actually do as it supposedly takes half a day's labour.

I recently discovered that my 2002 Honda has an outstanding recall for passenger side SRS, issued 3 or 4 years ago. I am the original owner and have not moved house and so would have expected to be notified at the time but received nothing. I checked with Honda, and they said the car had been recorded as fixed a couple of years ago (on a date when I was not even in the UK), so MB doesn't have exclusive rights to poxy databases or staff with fat fingers. Not sure if I have enough energy to take it to a local dealership and have all the hassle when they try to look it up on their system: I don't sit in the passenger seat very often anyway.

They replace the SRS controller. Takes 3 hours

It takes them an hour and twenty five minutes to psych themselves up to do the job, ten minutes to plug in the new module, then an hour and twenty five minutes to wind down before the next job.

vigilants, it was your thread I was searching for to post this, as I saw it recently...

Do you know where in the car it is? Must be hidden deep.

Not so keen on them pulling the entire dash apart and introducing rattles etc, but if it has to be done...

It takes them an hour and twenty five minutes to psych themselves up to do the job, ten minutes to plug in the new module, then an hour and twenty five minutes to wind down before the next job.

The complete centre console has to be removed, heater control unit, front ashtray and heater vents. Control unit replaced and then coded online using Star Diagnosis.
1.3hrs labour time

Dropped my car into MB Ashford today at 10.30, first thing I'm told is that they have to pull the control unit, check the serial number to see if it's one that needs replacing - and if it does they may not have one in stock so would need to order it in! Phone call about 3.30pm, car ready for collection, nothing to say whether or not they had to replace the unit, had to ask for paperwork to show the recall had been done - was given a print-out of the instruction to dealers from MB Head Office, no "invoice" from MB Ashford saying what had been done.

i-CONICA said:
vigilants, it was your thread I was searching for to post this, as I saw it recently... Do you know where in the car it is? Must be hidden deep. Not so keen on them pulling the entire dash apart and introducing rattles etc, but if it has to be done...

I'm with you on this, really don't fancy my dashboard being taken apart and then having creak problems afterwards

Haven't driven mine yet - herself brought it home, but made no comments about dashboard rattles, which I'm sure she would have done!

Just received my recall letter, need to get it serviced first as it's a bit overdue, no doubt they would throw a wobbly if I presented it with the dash showing days overdue, not that I do much mileage these days.

Ashford just commented on mine yesterday without throwing a wobbly - it's showing something like 153 days overdue!

Haven't driven mine yet - herself brought it home, but made no comments about dashboard rattles, which I'm sure she would have done!

To be honest, looking at it another way...

When I got the car, it had a couple of rattles coming from the doors. So I took off all 4 door cards, and nipped up all nuts/bolts/screws that might have relaxed over time. That fixed it and really tightened it up, no rattles/buzzes.

So with that in mind, they'll be doing the same with the centre console and dashboard.

I'm with you on this, really don't fancy my dashboard being taken apart and then having creak problems afterwards

Got to be better than airbags being deployed though hay ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom