C Class regen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landie1

Car
C220 CDI AMG Sport
Morning all,
Just a question about the regen process on my C220 W204. Pulled up into the car park this morning and noticed vapour coming off the wet rear window. The rear window heater wasn't switched on by me and switch light wasn't on either. The car felt as as though it was missing a beat every now and then. I left the engine running for about 15 mins at approx 1500rpm and it finally cleared it self and the window cooled down. There was also a hot exhaust smell (but not bad enough to suggest a problem and the car doesn't overheat). The same scenario would happen on my previous Citroen during the regen process (hence leaving it for 15 mins for it to complete its process). Have i just experienced a regen? The reason i ask is i have done 17,000 miles in it and never noticed it before. Car performs faultlessly by the way, although its missing its monthly drive to Germany :D

If you have been driving it to Germany and back every month I would imagine it has either had plenty road time to regen itself , or so much road time that it might not even need to re gen. ?

Some one clever will come on in a minute and let us know :thumb:

Yep, that sounds like a re-gen.

We have a fair few issues with blocked DPF's on that engine. We can clean them quite easily though when they do. The best thing to do to help it stay healthy is to run premium fuel, occasionally use fuel system cleaner and nail it once a week to the redline for a few gear changes.

Thanks for the replies. I'd never felt it before with the Merc but i guess that was because of the mileage i did before the lockdown.

We have a fair few issues with blocked DPF's on that engine. We can clean them quite easily though when they do. The best thing to do to help it stay healthy is to run premium fuel, occasionally use fuel system cleaner and nail it once a week to the redline for a few gear changes.
When you say premium fuel do you mean non supermarket I use mainly BP or Esso but the regular diesel,how often do they regen I’ve only had mine about 6 weeks and probably covered 2000 miles but haven’t noticed it doing a regen my daily commute is 23 miles mainly dual carriageway with about 3 those miles town driving would mine be regening while driving ?

I've been using Tesco fuel and not had a problem with it. Used it in the Citroen before and that did 230,000 miles before i scrapped it (it was totally worn out but engine still strong)and no problem with that either. BUT i do understand the use of decent fuel as i can feel a slight difference after a couple of tanks of premium fuel (BP ultimate diesel). Judging by my experience today it takes about 15-20 mins to do an uninterrupted regen and that was after a 40 mile drive so the engine was nice and hot.

We had regen issies on my wife's Renault --err I mean B-Class. Problems stopped when she started using premium fuel.

I normally use Shell V power every 4th tank and never had a problem on my various diesels i've owned in the past.

I always use BP Ultimate Diesel on my C Class and as I Live in Norfolk average journey 20 Miles on national speed limit roads, once a week longer. The fuel is more expensive but it levels out because of the premium fuel burns better and keeps it all clean. I went down to Essex this Monday with a round journey of nearly 300 Miles. When I filled it back up at home it came to £29 for the journey, I think that's pretty good

When you say premium fuel do you mean non supermarket I use mainly BP or Esso but the regular diesel,how often do they regen I’ve only had mine about 6 weeks and probably covered 2000 miles but haven’t noticed it doing a regen my daily commute is 23 miles mainly dual carriageway with about 3 those miles town driving would mine be regening while driving ?

Premium Fuel isn't brand related, it means the more expensive fuel of the two variants usually available at the pumps (e.g. Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate or Texaco Supreme etc).

This is because the cheaper fuel will simply meet the minimum UK fuel standards, while the more expensive one will have an enhanced additive pack that include detergents that help keep things clean.

If you using nothing else but Premium Fuel that you don't need to also use fuel system cleaner, because the detergents on the Premium Fuel will do the work, but if you only use Premium Fuels occasionally then it might be a good idea to use some fuel system cleaner from time to time, e.g. Forte, Miller, Redex, BG 44K, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom