C class tyres and pressures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alphagemini

Car
Mercedes C200
I have acquired recently a very nice C class, but the ride seems too hard. Every tiny mark on the road is felt as if there were no springs. I suspect that the tires are wrong or at the wrong pressure. It still has its original Continental sport contact 2 using 36 lbs.sq.in.

Does any one have any experience of this and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Use the lower of the pressures shown on the fuel flap label, or listed in the handbook. Experiment within the range shown and see what works best for you. Maintain the front to rear pressure differentials though. Monitor tyre wear.

Can you check if these are "run flat" tyres? They tend to have a stiffer sidewall. If so then changing to non-runflats (and keeping to the lower limit of the pressure range as WN says) should cure it.

Mine run at 36 psi and I don't have any noticeable ride issues. The 36psi is only for the 195 60 16 tyres I believe.

Size of wheels has a lot to do with ride comfort, 18' s give a much softer ride than 19's I've had both , and prefer 18's, tyers come cheaper too. :thumb:

I have 32 at the back and 29 at the front. My tyres are 205/55/16 though.

That's the lower of the pressures listed, it makes it much more forgiving over bumps.

Wouldn't this get read by a larger audience if it were posted to the Wheels, Tyres, Brakes and Suspension section? Surely you are limiting your responses by posting in the "Ooooh, Shiny!" section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom