C Class vs E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGundam

Car
2012 C207 E350Cdi
This is not meant to be a contentious post so hope it comes across as I intend.

I am looking to get my first MB and so far been looking at the E350 Cdi Coupe as I mainly commute 60 motorway miles a day and like the idea of a torquey, powerful car. I have even started to like the idea of a Stage 1 remap in the future to take the 264Bhp of the 2012 era model to 300Bhp!

I notice that C class seem to be a bit more affordable, but only go up to 220D in the same era (from what my quick research shows).

I am aware the C class is lighter and so I wondered if the 220D is comparable to the 350 Cdi in acceleration despite lower Bhp?

So I wondered if anyone could give a basic overview of the differences between a E350Cdi and C220d?

Thanks

This is not meant to be a contentious post so hope it comes across as I intend.

I am looking to get my first MB and so far been looking at the E350 Cdi Coupe as I mainly commute 60 motorway miles a day and like the idea of a torquey, powerful car. I have even started to like the idea of a Stage 1 remap in the future to take the 264Bhp of the 2012 era model to 300Bhp!

I notice that C class seem to be a bit more affordable, but only go up to 220D in the same era (from what my quick research shows).

I am aware the C class is lighter and so I wondered if the 220D is comparable to the 350 Cdi in acceleration despite lower Bhp?

So I wondered if anyone could give a basic overview of the differences between a E350Cdi and C220d?

Thanks
Which era?

I‘m not an expert on the differences between E and C class, but I think that some share the same platform. Our C-class is a 250d (S205) and pulls noticeably stronger than the C220d coupe (C204) we had before. The latter of which was also available as a C250d.

There are lots of C350 CDIs around. There was a major facelift in 2011 (about 2000 changes I seem to recall) that IMO made the car significantly better. They’re very comfortable cruisers.

The E coupe is based on the C class chassis

The E Class has a longer wheelbase, wider track and a better ride quality.

As said above , the whole range of engines was, at some point available in both.

The E coupe is based on the C class chassis

The E Class has a longer wheelbase, wider track and a better ride quality.

As said above , the whole range of engines was, at some point available in both.

As above.

The E-Class Coupe C207 (2010-2017) was based on the C-Class W204.

It replaced the CLK-Class W209 (2002-2010) that was based on the W203.

MB later started making the C-Class Coupe again i.e. C204 (2014-2015), selling it alongside the C207.

In spite of sharing the same underpinning, the E-Class Coupe C207 will have higher trim level and options than the C-Class Coupe C204, as well as a better choice of engines.

The 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder are very different; if you're seriously considering a 350 and/or a 220 you should drive both before committing. In the real world, if you go for the later 265bhp 350 you won't really need to remap it.
I agree with 4 and 6 pots being very different. We’re not just talking apples v oranges, it’s Tesco mince v filet mignon. Of course, you may prefer meatballs! To keep the food analogy going, remapping a 350 would be like putting tomato ketchup on a 3-star Michelin meal.

Go for an E350 CDI it’s in a different league to any 220. You won’t need it remapping either, it’s more than fast enough. In real world driving, you can’t keep your foot in for more than 5 seconds while on the move or your into nearly 3 figure speeds.
The V6 is so smooth and quiet that you’ll not tell it’s diesel. Silent at 80 mph.

It achieves nothing of any use, and may even make it worse in some respects. But if it makes you happy ...
Strange view given the success of places like MSL.

I had the van remapped last year. The difference is very noticeable especially when towing a fully loaded trailer. The increased torque is staggering.

No need to upgrade other areas of the van because MB sell the Vito with three different outputs of the same engine and all with same brakes, transmission, etc. All the remap has done is exploit the engines potential figures. And no loss whatsoever on MPG. What’s not to like. 🤔

Strange view given the success of places like MSL.

I had the van remapped last year. The difference is very noticeable especially when towing a fully loaded trailer. The increased torque is staggering.

No need to upgrade other areas of the van because MB sell the Vito with three different outputs of the same engine and all with same brakes, transmission, etc. All the remap has done is exploit the engines potential figures. And no loss whatsoever on MPG. What’s not to like. 🤔
I was talking about mapping the C350 or E350 BlueEfficiency models that have plenty power and torque for most use. If you need to get to sixty in significantly less than 6 seconds you must either have just done a bank job or you have a week bladder!

Go for an E350 CDI it’s in a different league to any 220. You won’t need it remapping either, it’s more than fast enough. In real world driving, you can’t keep your foot in for more than 5 seconds while on the move or your into nearly 3 figure speeds.
The V6 is so smooth and quiet that you’ll not tell it’s diesel. Silent at 80 mph.

Another vote for the E350 CDi. I have the 265BHP version, no mods. It's a fabulous engine, extremely smooth, refined and quiet and very sprightly when pushed.

The other option, and better availability on the coupe, is the E350 petrol.

306hp, different league for refinement, and was around 4mpg behind the E350d for me doing 25000 miles a year.
On shorter runs it was even closer MPG wise, on the 6 mile school run the petrol was actually more economical.

The 350 petrol is super refined when pootling around, almost electric like refinement, however, when you start to play and it gets above 2500rpm it start to come alive, keep it in that 3000-7000rpm range and you have a car that suddenly feels light on its feet, playful, sounds amazing and feels like a completely different car.

I bought my estate out of the blue, it was local and I thought I will buy it and compare with the e350d and move it on. I will be honest, it was silly cheap as "petrol and no one wants them". While 4 year old E350d etstates were still £20k+ I ended up paying £13k for this car with 60k miles on it. Hence I bought it, even though I was not really looking for it.
I keep cars 12 months then swap.
I kept that for 2.5 years and sold it with 130k miles on it. It was a real joy and it was only the fact I was offered £12500 for it 2.5 years later with 60k miles added for £500 less that made me sell it.

It came back up for sale again a couple of years later and I tried to buy it back, with no joy.

Great engine, so look at them too.

No need to upgrade other areas of the van because MB sell the Vito with three different outputs of the same engine and all with same brakes, transmission, etc.

Not sure which generation of Vito you mean, but on the 639 the lowest powered version of the 2.1 4-cyl definitely had a different back axle ratio.

The brakes & suspension would likely have been the same as the spec. for those would be based largely on weight/payload, but it's possible there were minor differences in the injectors/cooling/turbo/etc. between versions.

Not sure which generation of Vito you mean, but on the 639 the lowest powered version of the 2.1 4-cyl definitely had a different back axle ratio.

The brakes & suspension would likely have been the same as the spec. for those would be based largely on weight/payload, but it's possible there were minor differences in the injectors/cooling/turbo/etc. between versions.
Yeah, sorry Bill. I should have said. Mine is the W447. There were/are 3 variants of the 2.1 litre RWD. 114/116/119 blutec. So 140/160/190 bhp respectively.

Either way, I’m more than happy with the performance gains as are many who do similar with their cars.

The 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder are very different; if you're seriously considering a 350 and/or a 220 you should drive both before committing.
^ This.

The difference in level of refinement is significant, but the gruffness of the 4-pot diesel is less noticeable in the E-Class Saloon than it is in either the C-Class or E Coupe. The V6 diesel is excellent, but as others have already said, the V6 petrol is a good option too with very little in it vs. the diesel when it comes to fuel economy.

The one thing I would say is that the petrol and diesel V6's feel very different in terms of their power delivery. This is not because of the different fuel types, but because the diesel is forced induction and the petrol is NA. If you're used to driving turbo diesels then the V6 petrol will seem a bit lacking in performance until it's wound up, but then it flies.

^ This.

The difference in level of refinement is significant, but the gruffness of the 4-pot diesel is less noticeable in the E-Class Saloon than it is in either the C-Class or E Coupe. The V6 diesel is excellent, but as others have already said, the V6 petrol is a good option too with very little in it vs. the diesel when it comes to fuel economy.

The one thing I would say is that the petrol and diesel V6's feel very different in terms of their power delivery. This is not because of the different fuel types, but because the diesel is forced induction and the petrol is NA. If you're used to driving turbo diesels then the V6 petrol will seem a bit lacking in performance until it's wound up, but then it flies.
It’s a lot to do with what you’re used to. Way back in late 2011 when I was looking to buy a new car I went to Mercedes and was persuaded to take a C350CDi for a 24 hour test drive. I’d never owned a diesel before, but had driven a few. I was immediately impressed with it, particularly how quiet and smooth it felt at cruising speed compared to my ageing CLK 230K. But around country roads it felt lacking a bit due to the much narrower power band. Still a lovely car though.

For the next 24 hours they let me have the petrol version. The only thing wrong with it was having to give it back after 24 hours. It was even smoother than the diesel and with a beautifully cultured sound. Somehow it didn’t feel as quick off the line as the diesel, not having the same kick, but I think that may be as Phil says due to the way the power is delivered. The official 0-60 time for the petrol is actually marginally quicker. The wide power band made for rapid yet relaxed progress around country roads.

Anyway, I signed on the dotted line for the 306bhp petrol C350 straight away, despite the longer lead time. It was well worth the wait and nine years later is still a fabulous car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom