C-class vs outgoing E-class purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoMo

Car
Mercedes
Hi,

I am in a bit of a dilemma at present. Looking to purchase (both new cars) either the C-class or outgoing E-class.

Personally prefer the C-class due to the newer + fresher interior, while the E-class looks more outdated now. I don't particularly need the extra space the E offers. However I am getting a better deal on the E-class.

I saw on another thread a lease offer from contract cars for the E220dAMG Night Edition Premium pack:
£209 + VAT (£252 incl VAT) for 23 months, plus 9 month deposit + £600 fee (approx £2900 in total)

However I got a very good offer for C200AMG auto, Premium pack (plus metallic paint + privacy glass) on PCP offering £5600 discount:
£390 per month x 36 months, £2k deposit.

On the face of it, the E seems a better deal, but are there any other charges from the lease company that I need to factor in? (e.g. delivery/registration documents etc). Furthermore after 3 years I might have some equity in my C-class that I can use towards my next car (even taking into account the high GFV values Merc finance use to bring down monthly payments), while with the E-class I will "lose" all my deposit.

What do you guys think?

Hi,

I think the answer is in there.

PCP an E? I see you can get up to £12k off an E.

Look at drivethedeal.com

Hi,

I think the answer is in there.

PCP an E? I see you can get up to £12k off an E.

Look at drivethedeal.com

I checked out PCP quote through DTD. Was working out about £345 per month with £2k down for the e220 night edition (not premium) which is more expensive than lease for the premium e220.

Hi MoMo.

I had the exact same dilemma. Yesterday I ordered the E Class on £209+Vat a month

E Class not my fav car but that's a great lease.

If you want to lease a C check this deal out.

https://www.gateway2lease.com/cars/...2.1-amg-line-premium-plus-auto.php?id=1441831

£258.99+Vat pm includes premium plus pack.

Good luck fella

Ant.

Congrats for taking the plunge! I think I'm going to decide today one way or the other. Head says E, heart says C. I've never leased before (only done PCP) which again is making me more hesitant.

C-class deal looks good but I wasn't too keen on the solid paint.

When is your car scheduled to arrive?

Hi Happy, when will you get it? What colour etc, you'll find it a lot different to your current motor, but I think you'll love it. Well done you.
Mo mo go for the E,

I'm in the same boat as Ant. E class was defo not my first choice of car as I'm not over the age of 50. I also did a PCP quote through DTD for a C class and deposit was £8K down and £350 p.m.

I don't mind driving a barge for the next 2 years.

Well I bought a new E last year. Didn't like the C much anyway (and as there's no cab yet for it, it was an easy decision anyway).

The E is fantastic, but being 50, I'm an old f**t now anyway probably!

Forget the IF's about I may have equity in the C, just work with the cold facts. However, it's not helped by the fact that you are not comparing like for like. As the e-class is 2 year deal and the c 3 year, so you'll be stumping up another deposit in 2 years time on the e-class option.

The e-class lease will include road tax in 2nd year, whereas with the PCP you'll have to pay this in years 2 & 3. Also there will be an admin fee for PCP too that you haven't included. Servicing costs will be marginally different.

So in making the assumption that in year 3 you PCP/lease another car at a similar cost to the C class, and so discounting it, the e-class is going to save you about £80 a month over the first 2 years, so just under £2K.

You clearly want the C, so it's an easy decision, is your emotive choice of the C class worth blowing an extra ~£2,000 on?? Or to put it another way, is the sensible compromise of an e-class worth saving less than £3 a day on?? ;) ;)

Or to really blow your mind, for an extra £150 a month over the cost of the C200 could I lease an E63 for two years?? :thumb:

Congrats for taking the plunge! I think I'm going to decide today one way or the other. Head says E, heart says C. I've never leased before (only done PCP) which again is making me more hesitant.

C-class deal looks good but I wasn't too keen on the solid paint.

When is your car scheduled to arrive?

We were the exact same as you. Head said E. Heart said C. But the C class was £60+ pm more. And the E will still be a belting car. Command, ILS, pano roof etc.

If you lease either car don't forget to factor in GAP insurance. About £150 one off payment on a 2 year lease.

The C Class deal is solid paint. Polar white looks stunning with the black pano roof. However it'll only be about £10 pm extra for metallic. Give them a call and see what they have.

My E220 is due first week in March on a 16 plate. :bannana:

Ant. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Happy, when will you get it? What colour etc, you'll find it a lot different to your current motor, but I think you'll love it. Well done you.
Mo mo go for the E,

Hey Peter. It'll be here first week in March. I know the car will be nothing special to many on here but for us it'll be lovely. B180d is our first Merc so the E will be even better. Would have loved the 19" alloys and surround camera but it is a car from stock. The colour is Tenorite grey. Not seen one in the flesh but everyone's saying how nice it is.

I'll be blaming everyone here if it's horrible. :devil:

Hey Peter. It'll be here first week in March. I know the car will be nothing special to many on here but for us it'll be lovely. B180d is our first Merc so the E will be even better. Would have loved the 19" alloys and surround camera but it is a car from stock. The colour is Tenorite grey. Not seen one in the flesh but everyone's saying how nice it is.

I'll be blaming everyone here if it's horrible. :devil:

Ant, a brand-spanking new Mercedes E-class, nothing special? Stop being so modest! That's a fantastic car, and you deserve it. You're a top bloke. Enjoy!

Ant, a brand-spanking new Mercedes E-class, nothing special? Stop being so modest! That's a fantastic car, and you deserve it. You're a top bloke. Enjoy!

lol Bobby. I'm not playing it down. I mean nothing special compared to the cars I drool over on this forum. (AMG V8 Powwwerrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :D)

I know it'll be lovely. But I'm well aware it's a bargain 'end of a run' model. In 2 years time if/when my health improves who knows what'll be available. But in the meantime the E will do just fine.

Your kind words are very flattering Cheers maaaaaan :thumb:

[QUOTE

If you lease either car don't forget to factor in GAP insurance. About £150 one off payment on a 2 year lease.

[/QUOTE]

That reminds me can anyone put a link up for a good GAP insurance.

Forget the IF's about I may have equity in the C, just work with the cold facts. However, it's not helped by the fact that you are not comparing like for like.
Lots of good logic in Steve's post :thumb:

It's true that that the new C-Class is "fresher" than the outgoing E-Class, but the latter is still a fine car. If you can get a good deal on a lease there's much to commend it, not least because in a couple of years' time the prices of the C-Class will soften a bit too so getting into one will be cheaper.

Having said all that, if you really want the C-Class now, then the money you save every month by driving an E-Class won't offset the nagging doubt that you should have jumped the other way.

Last edited:
[QUOTE

That reminds me can anyone put a link up for a good GAP insurance.[/QUOTE]

There you go:

https://www.ala.co.uk/?utm_source=A...6_1443908570_3d98172041bd60f5b5738d8b84c165dc

Toy with the idea of taking out £750 of excess cover too. Then increase the excess on your insurance to £750 to get the premium as low as poss.

I've done this.

Fully comp insurance (confused.com) with £750 total excess = £269.00

2 years GAP insurance (£144)+ 1 year excess cover (£42)=£186.00.

Basically if increasing your excess brings premium down by more than £42 the it's worth having.

Or to really blow your mind, for an extra £150 a month over the cost of the C200 could I lease an E63 for two years?? :thumb:
While I can wholeheartedly commend the E63, I've just been through buying another one and couldn't find any two year lease deals near that price (incl. VAT) otherwise I may have been tempted.

That reminds me can anyone put a link up for a good GAP insurance.

There you go:

https://www.ala.co.uk/?utm_source=A...6_1443908570_3d98172041bd60f5b5738d8b84c165dc

Toy with the idea of taking out £750 of excess cover too. Then increase the excess on your insurance to £750 to get the premium as low as poss.

I've done this.

Fully comp insurance (confused.com) with £750 total excess = £269.00

2 years GAP insurance (£144)+ 1 year excess cover (£42)=£186.00.

Basically if increasing your excess brings premium down by more than £42 the it's worth having.

Ant. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ant. One question can you take out the GAP at any time during the insurance.

Thanks Ant. One question can you take out the GAP at any time during the insurance.

I THINK you can take it out whenever you want. However, a phone call to them is worth it for piece of mind.

Annoying having to pay it but essential should the worse happen. :thumb:

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice. After much deliberating, finally going to go for the C-class. £2k down, £390 per month (36 months) for C200 amg line premium auto.

At the end it is a little more than the E-class, but felt it suits my need a little better and makes me smile that little bit more. Think it was a decent deal as almost £6k off list price plus good price for my part exchange. Plus I do less than 10k miles per year so hopefully will have some equity in a few years.

I am stuck on colours - was trying to decide between palladium silver and diamond silver as exterior. Anyone see either in the flesh? I was hoping to combine with grey leather interior (artico).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom