C-Class W202 230K Which Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cw-kid

Car
W202 C-Class C230K
Hi

I need to buy some new tyres for my W202 C230K it has standard 15" alloys the current tyres say 205/60R15 91V. Its usually had BF-Goodrich tyres on it which have been OK I guess. Local tyre place can supply BF-Goodrich again for 60 quid each fitted.

I am mainly wondering about the speed rating V which is up to 149MPH. I have never driven the car anywhere near that fast. Do I need to stick with tyres rated as V or can I used something else like H? Does it even make much difference with price?

I don't want to spend a load of money on tyres but don't want really cheap China crap that won't handle well, looking for all season tyres that wear well and last, around 60-70 quid a tyre max.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

'V' is the correct speed rating for you car but you don't have to stick with that rating. If you drop to 'H' they're good for 125mph, then again that's probably good enough for you judging by what you've said.

For the slight difference in price, I'd stick with the correct speed rating. As for BF-Goodrich I can't comment as I've never fitted them but from what I recall they're a middle of range brand so should be o.k.. As for All Season/All Weather tyres, personally I don't think much of them and wouldn't bother fitting them again, best to either fit Summer or Winter imo. Bear in mind too, tyres that wear/last well above the average are made of harder compound, thus have less outright grip - well, that's my experience anyway.

As for All Season/All Weather tyres, personally I don't think much of them and wouldn't bother fitting them again, best to either fit Summer or Winter imo.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply / advice.

In that case I am not sure what type of tyres I've had on it in the past if they were summer / winter / all weather or what? I presume they were Summer tyres then.

I've had the BF Goodrich Profiler which were pretty decent with excellent grip and I've later had the BF Goodrich G-Grip which were OK but not as good as the Profiler. I'm not sure you can still buy the Profiler ones, last time the local suppliers couldn't source them anyway's. I believe Michelin own BF Goodrich.

Last time I bought two new tyres I think I got ripped off. I had a flat one day and went to the nearest tyre shop, they said they couldn't repair it and talked me in to buying two new tyres as I was in a rush and had to be somewhere. So I said I wanted mid-range quality tyres not cheap budget ones.

What they fitted on the rear were Fortuna F2000 I'd never heard of them so I took their advice etc. The tyres have been poor IMO and the back-end was all over the place, in the end I put them on the front instead. I paid 60 odd quid each I think and I've since seen the same tyres online for more like 40 quid.

So now I need new tyres again I am worried about getting done over again with the local tyre fitting shops.

Cheers

Hi,
I had a 1997 C230K with 15" rims, and I always ran it on Pirellis, as this is what it had on it from the factory.

So now I need new tyres again I am worried about getting done over again with the local tyre fitting shops.

Cheers

I just can't see how you can go wrong with fitting Conti's. Top brand & within your price range, win, win! :D

Hi,
I had a 1997 C230K with 15" rims, and I always ran it on Pirellis, as this is what it had on it from the factory.

Hi

So you were happy with the handling / wear with the Pirellis? On that site John just gave the link for, the Pirellis are 70 quid which is OK.

The car felt really unstable on the back with those Fortunas on it.

Cheers

I just can't see how you can go wrong with fitting Conti's. Top brand & within your price range, win, win! :D

Actually my mechanic who looks after the car and also use to work for Merc recommended Conti's to me the other day. So maybe go with those then!

There is Conti Contact 2 and Contact 5 the Contact 5's are about 7 quid cheaper not sure what the difference is?

Cheers

Actually my mechanic who looks after the car and also use to work for Merc recommended Conti's to me the other day. So maybe go with those then!

Any premium brand will be fine. I've used Michelin, Conti, Bridgstone, Fulda, Avon and several more on my Merc's (and other cars too) never a problem or complaint. As I always say, buy the best you can afford...it's the only thing between you & the road.

There is Conti Contact 2 and Contact 5 the Contact 5's are about 7 quid cheaper not sure what the difference is?

Cheers

Check the E.U. ratings for Fuel Efficiency, Noise & Wet Grip. Don't know if there's any other differences. My choice would be the Contact 5, I think.

Those Conti's don't seem to be getting good reviews here people saying they wear too quickly.

It seems reading online reviews of the main premium tyre manufacturers and their current profiles is a pointless exercise, as I am still none the wiser as to what tyres are actually any good. The vast majority of the reviews appear to be negative which means only the unhappy folks are posting.

This is the type of tyre I have used in the past "BF Goodrich G-Force Profiler 2" it appears to be one of the few tyres that has excellent online reviews and from personal experience I know they are very good tyres.

Problem is I can not find any where to buy them from, they have always been extremely hard to source for some reason. The G-Grip profile which is the more basic tyre is readily available but the more sporty G-Force Profiler is like rocking horse ****.

Further research suggests that BF Goodrich don't make the Profiler tyre any longer in my wheel size R15 and they start at R16 now, which is a real shame as its an excellent tyre that handles brilliantly and lasts ages. :mad:

After reading many positive reviews I am going to buy these instead I think. Vredestein SportTrac 5 good price here and are meant to be great tyres from what people are saying about them.

Further research suggests that BF Goodrich don't make the Profiler tyre any longer in my wheel size R15 and they start at R16 now, which is a real shame as its an excellent tyre that handles brilliantly and lasts ages. :mad:

After reading many positive reviews I am going to buy these instead I think. Vredestein SportTrac 5 good price here and are meant to be great tyres from what people are saying about them.

Go for it, I've heard nothing but good reports about Vredestein, even one Ford chassis engineer recommended them to me. Will try them out sometime.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom