C-Class which model should I buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dellboi

Car
C-Class
I am looking to replace my 10 Plate SE Exec with a used new shape C-Class. Can anyone offer there words of wisdom on the model to go for and best engine choice.
Also what extras I should ensure are on the car as I want to keep hold for a few years.

Thanks in advacne

It all depends on what you want engine wise as the range covers power and economy. If you are doing high miles then something like a 220d works best but if you want performance you want the other end of the scale. Most write ups say the 250d is the best compromise. Premium Plus spec gets you all the toys. Personally I would look for airmatic suspension. AMG Line just gives bigger wheels and some body stuff. Not really worth it. Puts the car up a tax bracket as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The C350e seems to tick quite a few boxes to some extent or another, but then I would say that, wouldn't I.

Wise words from c63Chris though - it depends a lot on what you need from it as it really is a pretty wide range isn't it.

Love the XE suggestion though - made me chuckle as our very close running second choice was an XE-S. Very different to the C350e I know, but even so.....

I went for the 2 litre petrol. From memory it has the same performance as the 220D without shattering your ear drums. As for MPG I always seem to get 34mpg with mixed driving and on a long runs it will be in the mid 40's although I have had it in the 50's with a light foot. If you just do only 2 mile journeys then it will be around the low 20's so the car likes the longer journeys.

My model is the Sport version, my only regret is the standard radio sound quality is rubbish but I could not justify £3000 to buy a package that I didn't want.

No regrets buying this car and with the price difference between the petrol and diesel versions if I had gone for the diesel I would never have got the price difference back with the extra MPG the diesel would have given me.

Well I have the C300h and am a very happy bunny!

Have come from driving Jaguars for the last 10 years and the last seven years in two XFs the 3 litre and the the 2.2 litre diesels.

I like "playing" with trying to get the car to run on the hybrid battery as much as possible.

AMG Line and Premium Plus pack and 19" AMG alloys all specced by the previous owner who only had it 12 months.

I went for the 2 litre petrol. From memory it has the same performance as the 220D without shattering your ear drums. As for MPG I always seem to get 34mpg with mixed driving and on a long runs it will be in the mid 40's although I have had it in the 50's with a light foot. If you just do only 2 mile journeys then it will be around the low 20's so the car likes the longer journeys.

My model is the Sport version, my only regret is the standard radio sound quality is rubbish but I could not justify £3000 to buy a package that I didn't want.

No regrets buying this car and with the price difference between the petrol and diesel versions if I had gone for the diesel I would never have got the price difference back with the extra MPG the diesel would have given me.

I would hope a 2 litre petrol would have more performance than a 2.1 litre under tuned diesel.

I've just been looking at the C63s convertible.....seem to be falling for one!

I would hope a 2 litre petrol would have more performance than a 2.1 litre under tuned diesel.
I would face even more performance of they tuned it properly like they do stateside.

Stupid MB nomenclature gives the impression a C220d outperforms a C200. It doesn't.

2 litre petrol does 0-62 in 7.2 seconds while the C200D takes 10.2 seconds and the C220D takes 7.5 seconds.

That's good enough for me!

2 litre petrol does 0-62 in 7.2 seconds while the C200D takes 10.2 seconds and the C220D takes 7.5 seconds.

That's good enough for me!

I have the 2 litre petrol too, and subjectively, doesn't feel that fast :dk:
Maybe it's disguised in the refinement.

uumode said:
I have the 2 litre petrol too, and subjectively, doesn't feel that fast :dk: Maybe it's disguised in the refinement.
Precisely. Want a car that feels fast, then get a diesel. Want a car that is fast, then get a petrol. Of course the diesel owners will completely deny that - poor things ;)

7.2 secs 0 -60 time doesn't seem so bad. At least they are getting faster. A few generations of C200's ago it would have be over 10 Secs and at that time 7.2 secs would have seemed quick.

Besides the outright performance of newer cars the most impressive thing is the real world driveability produced by low rev torque. Drive an old naturally aspirated C200 with peak torque at 4000 RPM and wonder why it doesn't want to go up hills.

I'd say get a 250d :) 0-62 in 6.6, mpg the petrol can only dream of, and £20 a year VEL! What's not to like?

C43 is the one I want as pre-owned :D:D

Not sure that in 3-4 years time that anyone will actually care about the C43 in the way all the negativos care today. In reality overall the car is very good with the obvious exception to the 'Crabbing' issue which may or may not ever be property resolved. In 2021 who will really give a damn about it? Answer.. No one. Its the same with Brexit it was a big story on the day but now everyone is used to the idea and no one really cares that much. Its the same with cars big story today............... history tomorrow. Buy what you like not what other's tell you to like.

C63s..... Just had a test drive in the cabrio version, and I must say it's a cracker!

Not sure that in 3-4 years time that anyone will actually care about the C43 in the way all the negativos care today. In reality overall the car is very good with the obvious exception to the 'Crabbing' issue which may or may not ever be property resolved. In 2021 who will really give a damn about it? Answer.. No one. Its the same with Brexit it was a big story on the day but now everyone is used to the idea and no one really cares that much. Its the same with cars big story today............... history tomorrow. Buy what you like not what other's tell you to like.

I am totally oblivious to any defects with the C43 I need to be enlightened.
When I bought my car I wanted a petrol engine with a bit more oomph the C63 was available but beyond my budget. The C43 is much lower on the ladder.
What's wrong with the C43 I must have been living under a rock since it's release :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom