C/L ignition problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tillymerc

Hi i wonder if anyone can help, ive been searching posts but not found any with exact same problem, my c200 estate was working perfectly i drove it home from work left it for a couple of hours then went back to it to find the car open which i thought was strange but maybe id forgot to lock it, i put key in ignition & it will not move at all, tried a few times moving wheel & turning but no luck, i then tried to lock car & the central locking will not work either, i replaced batteries in key fob but it will still not work, i can open drivers door with silver key which is is side of fob, but it only works on drivers door, have also tried disconnecting battery, any suggestions would be appreciated

presumably you are happy that the battery is charged and working ok - do the headlights work??

your list of symptoms are hard to link together, have you got the electronic key that is slightly triangular? the remote locking is worked by the key sending a sgnal to the front overhead light unit which sends a signal to the pse unit. the ignition key turning to start the car is completely seperate system, using a transponder in the key and the eis to operate. possibly you have a can bus fault caused by a short some where, disconnecting the battery would be my next suggestion but you have tried this?

hiya yes we have the triangular key with the circular infared at end which slots into ignition, head lights work & you can unlock other doors with button on centre consol when you have entered car via drivers door with manual key, but this button will not lock doors, have tried disconnecting battery also, no luck! we have power but key will not unlock/lock doors although you can see infared working, key wll not turn in ignition at all

hard to say over the internet! afull list of what does and does not work may help eg windows, wipers indicators blower etc etc. where are you btw?

hiya, as ignition will not turn the only things that work are headlights, interior lights, hazard warning lights i am in staffordshire!

This might be a red herring, but in the S CLASS W220 if the battery is below 12.5 volts the engine wont turn over . Fully charged it should be 14 volts. Most of the electrics will work at 12.5volts but the engine wont budge ! Maybe try fully charging your battery ??

thanks for comment chas, battery has been checked by the AA, the key will not turn in ignition,tried resetting key numerous times, its almost like you have the wrong key it will not work, you cant start car as key will not take steering lock off,

simply put it sounds like an eis fault but you need computer help, try posting asking for recommended independents in your area - possibly on the other forum too?

problem is it needs to go to garage to be read from mercedes as with no ignition, only a main dealer computer can bypass this, the car is stuck in park & on our drive, where we live a tow truck cant position to tow:doh:

if you look at your gear stick, there is a small flap towards the rear of the numbers. insert a biro and push down to release the gear lever. have you a spare key? have you tried inserting the key and pressing the buttons, also leaving it inserted for a good 1/2 hr or more...

hiya thks for being patient & help so far, dont have a spare key, have tried leaving original key in ignition for over an hour also disconnected battery for hours, sorry for appearing to be thick cant a flap near numbers by gear stick?

Well done !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom