C of C/ Type approval/Mutual recognition for imports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godfrey

Car
211 320cdi Elegance estate, Soon to be sold RR Vouge, Defender, Triumph Daytona and Thunderbird
Hi all,

The import fun continues. I understand that DVLA before reregistering an import requires one or all of the above certificates and won't accept all the stickers on the car or on a foreign registration document giving a type approval number. Without the paperwork the car has to go through yet another test to show that it complies with use in the UK. The test has to be booked and can take a month of waiting.
Given that it's a Mercedes from Jersey this seems a little extreme, although Jersey is technically not in the EU.

Anyone know a way of getting the correct paperwork for the car and is this something the from new supplying dealer could retrospectively supply?

Thank you in advance as I'm about to start a week of night shifts:thumb:

A CoC can be ordered from a Mercedes-Benz dealer, but it's quite pricey. When my wife bought her SLK350 new, the CoC had gone missing at some point as the car was transferred from one dealer to another, and the one we purchased from had to order up a new CoC. They chased up the original dealer pretty hard because (from memory) it cost them circa £100 for the re-issued one.

It's either C of C or SVA . How old is the car?

Cars that normally require a SVA are imports outside the EU under 10years old. All EU cars (sold in the EU) should have C of Cs. If not , as Phil says, you can get one from a MB dealer. Still cheaper than going thru the hassle of getting a SVA I reckon.

I'm not sure of the technicality between Jersey and the Eu, but I'm sure you'll find that a car from Jersey is EU/UK compliant.

P.S Not necessary to start a new thread on this as you've started one here already :
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/151119-buying-car-jersey.html :crazy:

Thank you both, I'll get onto it.

A CoC can be ordered from a Mercedes-Benz dealer, but it's quite pricey. When my wife bought her SLK350 new, the CoC had gone missing at some point as the car was transferred from one dealer to another, and the one we purchased from had to order up a new CoC. They chased up the original dealer pretty hard because (from memory) it cost them circa £100 for the re-issued one.

Sent of an email to Germany HQ yesterday and got a full reply today. Very efficient.:thumb: Still £100 +VAT but you have to be registered keeper which I won't be until the 20th so have organised it through the origional supplying dealer and owner in Jersey which will save me the VAT:bannana:

The few cars I imported in the past were a doddle compared with the present car.

Once I've gotten all this sorted (It ain't half complicated now-as of the 15 April 2013:wallbash:) I will post the full story of what is involved to help out anyone else thinking of doing something similar. Funnily enough because the rules have just recently changed I'm still getting conflicting advice from both HMRC and DVLA

Funnily enough because the rules have just recently changed I'm still getting conflicting advice from both HMRC and DVLA

Usually the case! Although they are helpful enough(surprisingly, and in my experience) there's always a surprise.:wallbash: So what are the new rules ?

Usually the case! Although they are helpful enough(surprisingly, and in my experience) there's always a surprise.:wallbash: So what are the new rules ?

There are pages of them. will let you know how I get on......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom