C or E coupe... numbers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timskemp

MB Enthusiast
Car
W213 E220d
Bored this morning waiting for a package, so playing on the confgurator.

Let's say you want a stylish, reliable, economical coupe that's smooth on the motorway but quick on the back roads.

250cdi, 18" 5 spoke AMGs, dynamic handling pack, obsidian metallic, auto...

For the new C coupe that's £35580. For the E coupe sport that's £37265. Less than 5% more.

The E has a bit more comfort and space and has heated seats as standard but seems to come with the older 5 speed gearbox (though that'll change soon I'm sure) despite charging more for the auto option.

What would you choose and why? I'd be stuck between getting the 7 speed or getting the nicer overall package...

Take an SE instead of a sport and the E is cheaper!!

A good friend of mine buys a new Mercedes every three years when his warranty runs out and for years he'd always bought the C class.

Then, a couple of years ago, I happened to remark that I was pretty sure he could get an E class for roughly the same money, with which he replied 'you've got to be kidding'....
So after looking into the prices, it cost him £800 more for the comparative E class as opposed to his usual C class.

It does seem a rather bizarre pricing structure if you ask me...

Funnily enough I was looking at that very same thing last night, as you say shame about the 5 speed box. I also see that the 350cdi isn't listed as an option for the C class now.

I believe the 7 speed is available now they just haven't updated the configurator.

Same as the E350 is still not showing the 265 diesel but that is available now.

I looked at the C and E coupe but decided e E gives a better mix. A large cruising coupe comfortable on the motorway but can be an animal when required.

I have specced E350 265 Diesel with the new 7g plus gearbox. obsidian Black, black nappa, piano black trim, command, Harman Kardon and Dynamiic Handling pack.

I have gone for the all black look which with the chrome trim should look fantastic.

I placed an order for the E220CDI (Auto) this week and I can confirm that all new E classes have the new 7G auto gear box as standard now, this is to bring it in line with the new C Class.

And need regular washing :D

Yep.

I have taken 2 days off to machine polish it then give it the full detailing works. Plan to seal all over inside and out to reduce the effort needed to keep it clean.

I really enjoy cleaning my own cars so happy to spend a few hours every weekend keeping it looking tip top :)

Last edited:
And need regular washing :D

Yep.

I have taken 2 days off to machine polish it then give it the full detailing works. Plan to seal all over inside and out to reduce the effort needed to keep it clean.

I really enjoy cleaning my own cars so happy to spend a few hours every weekend keeping it looking tip top :)

E class for sure, better all round car and will be worth a lot more than the C class in say 3 years time.

E class for sure, better all round car and will be worth a lot more than the C class in say 3 years time.

Not so sure, just got back from test driving the new C Class Coupe (C220 Cdi) with the 7G plus gear box and have to say it is a fantastic car and drive. I was really impressed with the new diesel engine and now you get a sporty growl noise from the engine and not the rattle that I still get with my V6 350 Cdi. I got a feeling that the new C Class Coupe will be a hit :thumb:

Not so sure, just got back from test driving the new C Class Coupe (C220 Cdi) with the 7G plus gear box and have to say it is a fantastic car and drive. I was really impressed with the new diesel engine and now you get a sporty growl noise from the engine and not the rattle that I still get with my V6 350 Cdi. I got a feeling that the new C Class Coupe will be a hit :thumb:

Bear in mind the 350 has the new engine now which sounds a lot better,faster and more economical.

Bear in mind the 350 has the new engine now which sounds a lot better,faster and more economical.

I sold mine today and will take sometime to think what to get next. Don"t think it will another E even if the engine has improved. I actually thought the ride and comfort was better in the new C

So someone who has had an E coupe prefers the C class coupe and it costs less. C class coupe for me too. I think they look better, cabin wise now are the same as the E and same seats as the E. Cheaper car wins.

So someone who has had an E coupe prefers the C class coupe and it costs less. C class coupe for me too. I think they look better, cabin wise now are the same as the E and same seats as the E. Cheaper car wins.

I was very surprised how good the C Class Coupe is. Looks better than the pics I first saw and the test drive was excellent. The car car I drove was the 220 Cdi with the new 7G plus box, so imagine what the bigger engine models will be like. I would definitely recommend one! Can't wait for the AMG version, this does look fantastic

In my opinion C class looks much better. Not had the pleasure of driving either yet. Many years ago I bought a BMW 5 series new in preference to a 3 series because a quirk of the price lists meant it was cheaper and had extra kit over the 3. Never regretted it. The E28 5 series was a great car.

I dont think the 220 CDI is a new engine, if you feel it sounds better than a 350 CDI you must have had serious issues with yours, the difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder diesel engines in regards to noise and general refinement is night and day in my opinion, I personally test drove a number of variants before making a decision.

I'm in a 220 at the moment while my 320 is in repair, the 220 is very much improved but it feels like two different engines, it's easy to drive gently or hard, but anywhere in between and it seems to be a bit on and off, hard to drive smoothly at 6-7 tenths.

The twin turbo setup is a big improvement. I'll be glad to get back to my 320 though, even though I doubt I'll ever see 60mpg from it.

I had a W204 four pot while mine was in for service last week.

It was OK, compact and handsome (Sport pack and AMG bodywork), but I was glad to get the E back.

Last edited:
I dont think the 220 CDI is a new engine, if you feel it sounds better than a 350 CDI you must have had serious issues with yours, the difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder diesel engines in regards to noise and general refinement is night and day in my opinion, I personally test drove a number of variants before making a decision.

I don't think it was only me that complained about the noise issue with E350 CDi. have a look at some of the other threads regarding the noise issue with this model. By the way I had mine fixed with the recent software update and injector reset, but it never felt right for an expensive car. Looks like Merc are getting it right with the newer engines and gearbox setup

C and E class coupes are built on the same 204 base platform .. they share engines and transmissions.

should not be that different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom